Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC - they finally did it

• 15-01-2011 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

There are four of us in the house. We have been with UPC for a while. Last year we got a fair usage warning letter. we were at a 3Mb/40Gb usage package at the time. so we upgraded to the 7Mb/unlimited package for an extra 10 euro... and that was the end of it.

last November we took a new contract with them under a totally dif name, 20Mb/unlimited/34 euro package. We got a new modem, digi box, the whole lot... In December we receive a "fair usage" letter waring us that we are above the limit of our "unlimited" package, which I personally really doubt.

any way, I took action, I changed the wifi password, and I personally kept a tap on my usage....

we got our January bill yesterday, and to our surprise, UPC upgraded us to the 100Mp/80 euro a month package !!!
    and just to top it off, speedtest.net shows we are still on 20Mb speed.

we are not sure what to make of this, shouldn't we receive three letters of warning before they do that? what are our rights under such situation, and what is the best action?

I still didnt get in touch with them, and would highly appreciate any help/feedback/advice...

thanks in advanc

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

All UPC packages have a download limit in the TOC, 20MB is 100 GB a month if I remember correctly.

Secondly there are four of you in the house, you may have control over how much you up/download (it counts both towards the cap) but the rest of the people appears not to. I can't recall UPC getting their numbers wrong that often and since you've exceeded the cap twice in your house the monitoring you're doing appears to be flawed.

Third 100MB would require you to get a new modem so you can't use that speed with your current modem. Are you sure they did not move you to the twice a price package instead (not listed but is really unlimited)?

Fourth, no, you don't get three letters of warning, usually you simply get moved up directly or put on the double cost version (which is not listed and is really unlimited).

Fifth, call them and ask for a downgrade to the 30MB package with 250GB limit instead. It's a tenner more a month and put some proper bandwidth monitoring in place.

On and in the future I'd recommend the broadband forum instead :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Nody wrote: »
    All UPC packages have a download limit in the TOC, 20MB is 100 GB a month if I remember correctly.

http://www.upc.ie/broadband/

10MB is 120GB per month at the moment.

For the packages higher than that, there is unlimited downloading but their 'Acceptable Usage Policy' applies. Those limits are

250GB for Fibre Power Broadband 20Mb and 30Mb users and
    500GB for Fibre Power Broadband 100Mb users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to the Broadband forum - you'll probably get better advice there

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 soreal

Secondly there are four of you in the house, you may have control over how much you up/download (it counts both towards the cap) but the rest of the people appears not to.

last year i knew for sure it was me, am the only one who is technically savvy and have a highly active web presence. the rest just browse, facebook and email. that's why i took the matter in my hand and acted swiftly
    this time is a bit different .
    I can't recall UPC getting their numbers wrong that often and since you've exceeded the cap twice in your house the monitoring you're doing appears to be flawed.

the only flaw in my monitoring is that i can only monitor what i personally use... if upc provides a tool to see the overall usage by everybody the issue might be different .

for the life of me, i cant understand how they can keep an eye on my net usage , yet cant give me access to those stats.... its not rocket science :confused:

Third 100MB would require you to get a new modem so you can't use that speed with your current modem. Are you sure they did not move you to the twice a price package instead (not listed but is really unlimited)?
    we only got this modem last nov. what kind on modem you are talking about?

Fourth, no, you don't get three letters of warning, usually you simply get moved up directly or put on the double cost version (which is not listed and is really unlimited).

their letter says three, not me .. and as far as we are concerned , we are with them since nov :P
    now seriously:
    that double cost version, can you find that any where in their site? and how did you knew about it...
    any way in our case, its definitely an upgrade to their extreme package of 80 euro
    Fifth, call them and ask for a downgrade to the 30MB package with 250GB limit instead. It's a tenner more a month and put some proper bandwidth monitoring in place.

http://www.upc.ie/termsandconditions/acceptableusagepolicy/

our package is a 250 Gb package, they upgraded us to a 500 package.

thank you for your feed back :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

soreal wrote: »
    There are four of us in the house. We have been with UPC for a while. Last year we got a fair usage warning letter. we were at a 3Mb/40Gb usage package at the time. so we upgraded to the 7Mb/unlimited package for an extra 10 euro... and that was the end of it.

I still didnt get in touch with them, and would highly appreciate any help/feedback/advice...

thanks in advance

This might be useful to you:

ww.askcomreg.ie/home/my_service_provider_has_advertised_an_"unlimited_package"___what_does_this_mean_for_me.5.154.LE.asp
    ComReg would like to advise consumers that any provision of a contract which sets usage thresholds, or describes what constitutes ‘fair’ or ‘acceptable’ use, should be clear and unambiguous, particularly where the service is described as being ‘unlimited’.

Usage thresholds or limits should be clearly set out, as should the manner in which they may be updated or amended.

ComReg expects each service provider to implement a clear, transparent and policy for dealing with customer usage above any set thresholds. The policy should set out the rules for contract termination, including penalties, the charges that shall apply for any use above the threshold/limit, and the policy regarding migration of the customer to other packages, if applicable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Why can't ComReg just "expect" them not to use the word "unlimited" when it's clearly limited?

OP, start by ringing them and pointing out that you're paying for a service they aren't providing. It may be that you'll have to upgrade to something as your usage is too high. Also check the other machines in the house for malware etc.

Advertisement