Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"fighting drugs" charity collectors

Options
  • 15-01-2011 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

They are usually outside spar in carpenterstown town most weekends and I saw them outside centra in laurel lodge today until they were asked to move on, and then they called around the house this afternoon. Iv given a few euro on 5 or 6 occasions now, 2 young lads with clipboards. Anyone else noticed them and know if they're genuine or not? I assumed they were but saw centra moving them on and then Kavanaghs pub seemingly telling them to go away too so I'm not too sure?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I'm not sure where you can check if they are genuine, but I'd say the chances are they are not.

I've a simple solution to the issue, I just never give anything to charity collectors regardless of where they are collecting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Wouldn't be Victory Outreach by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Dublfc

January wrote: »
    Wouldn't be Victory Outreach by any chance?

Yeah that name rings a bell, it's something outreach definitely. Il probably see them again tomorrow somewhere so il ask them!

They do good work, they don't get any government funding, but they are religious. Rely on cold turkey for weaning people from drugs, no waiting lists and have men and womens homes around the meath/dublin/kildare/cork and belfast area's.

The church itself is in Ballyfermot, it used to be in the inner city (Ossory Road if anyone knows it) and the pastor and his wife are American and ex drug addicts themselves. Their son is also a pastor and the pastor in Belfast and the one in Cork are also ex drug addicts.

The program is not for everyone, it is hard and they do rely on donations and their members tithe's (10% of their income) to get them by.

Although as a former member (I was never in the program or the home just a member of the church) I am kind of loathe to donate myself now, if you need further clarification please PM me as I know one or two of the people here are members of the church although not regular posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

I have seen these a few times outside Spar and my first impression is that they were not genuine.... I could be wrong but what I don't like is their overzealous approach and in fact I thought that were almost imtimidating...If they are genuine and I fully sympathise with anyone that is trying to collect hard cash these days for any worthy charaties I suggest that they change their approach to people and they may have better results

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

They do the Spar in Waterville too..last time I came across them was one "recovering addict" and one guy who looked smarter and appeared to be a case worker type. I really felt harassed into giving them my details to sponsor a walk to Belfast or something but I stopped half way through my number. I then went in and complained to the manager of the shop. They were practically blocking the entrance and for a shop that's supposed to be a local convenience store, I don't expect harassment when I go to buy a pint of milk.

Haven't seen them there since, that was about six weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Some guys called to ym door in D15 area last week from the Hanley centre - is this the same guys or a different thing altogether?

Different guys...

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

The program is not for everyone, it is hard and they do rely on donations and their members tithe's (10% of their income) to get them by.

:eek: wow thats a lot to come out of wages!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

Same guys collecting outside the spar in Ashtown, clipboards etc over the last few months. When you ask a few questions they seem to want to move off quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Seen these type of lads outside Tesco in Roselawn.

What didn't impress me and as such will make me not contribute was their racial abuse towards one of the workers there who was employed to sweep the carpark.

D1ckheads.

These might not be the same guys that I'm talking about...

I've been accosted by a few people from the Hanley Centre outside two spars in the last few weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭okioffice84

There are lads working around the city claiming to be from either Victory Outreach or Urban Outreach. They've been collecting in my workplace and I've requested ID information off them, each time they get abusive and then leave.
    Two months ago I organised gardaí to spend an evening on the premises in plain cloths. Two collectors came in and were challenged by the Gardai- they ended up arresting them both.
    This sh!t is happening all over the city at the moment- basically scumbags going around with clipboards and bogus IDs robbing money off the public. :mad:

EDIT: The same crowd also have Hanley Centre IDs

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Fiyero

Just like with drugs.... Just say No! :rolleyes:

They keep collecting because they make money from it.

If in any doubt there is no way I'd even look at them.

I saw them in Athlone last year, at least 10 of them at different points around the town. The charity they were collecting for looked genuine but they didn't, they looked... rough!

So if there's any doubt no way would get a cent from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Have seen similar in Ballyfermot.
    Young lads in tracksuits out collecting.

But they were genuine, it was for Victory Outreach and they happily chatted about what they do and gave me a little booklet.

So ask for ID OP or for information, if they are genuine they will be only happy to talk to you.

mikemac wrote: »
    Have seen similar in Ballyfermot.
    Young lads in tracksuits out collecting.

But they were genuine, it was for Victory Outreach and they happily chatted about what they do and gave me a little booklet.

So ask for ID OP or for information, if they are genuine they will be only happy to talk to you.

True, Victory Outreach are a genuine charity but unfortunately the majority of collectors I have challenged have been bogus, using Victory's name.
    I've rang Victory Outreach loads of times to make them aware- there's lads actually using a Victory Outreach van ferrying bogus collectors around the city centre (I know they were bogus because I was threatened when I asked to see their IDs & they all hopped back into a Victory Outreach van) and the charity seems to have done nothing about it.

True, Victory Outreach are a genuine charity but unfortunately the majority of collectors I have challenged have been bogus, using Victory's name.
    I've rang Victory Outreach loads of times to make them aware- there's lads actually using a Victory Outreach van ferrying bogus collectors around the city centre (I know they were bogus because I was threatened when I asked to see their IDs & they all hopped back into a Victory Outreach van) and the charity seems to have done nothing about it.

When was this? I know some people in Victory Outreach...

When was this? I know some people in Victory Outreach...
    I'll PM you

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yeah, I encountered these guys outside the Superquinn SC in Blanch village a few days ago. They were quite pushy and I just said "no thanks."

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MrReal

Victory outreach/urban outreach are the same people.
    Those people in the van are the VO people they are all bandets don't give the anything

Call the guards

Your just making the american pastor and his children rich if the guys on the programme don't meet their cash targets they are not allowed back to the house.
    They send them into the pubs to make up the difference

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Try not to drag up ancient threads please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement