Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues with Rumours

Options
  • 15-01-2011 4:23pm

This thread relates to an issue that has come up in the Galway city forum but could just as easily be applied to the rest of the regional forums and more throughout the rest of boards.

This thread was created about the possibility of a well-known record store shutting down, yet because of the lack of credible sources it was shut due to the fact that nobody was to say whether it was or was not closed.

However this thread was then created to discuss the deletion of such rumour threads as it was thought they could inflict damage on said businesses. One other suggestion was that the thread be amended to say whether it was proved correct or incorrect as deletion would likely cause other posters creating threads asking the same question.

What do the admins/moderators/forum users believe is the right way to deal with such rumours?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

My opinion is that those threads should only be allowed if there's a link to a reputable source. People have disagreed with me on this in the motors forum, but I don't think it's fair to have speculative threads like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

^ that's how we do it. I wouldn't let any thread run about a place closing down based on a rumor.

Having said that we do have a employment and nightlife related threads that have a good bit of leeway For posts such as "I heard x is taking on people" and "I heard y is being redone" respectively.

Depends on the thread really but my rule of thumb is anything that could be seen as negative on a business based on rumor i'd delete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

There has to be a link to a reputable source.

If the rumour spreads that they're in trouble/closing down you could have a lot of people holding off on their purchases in the anticipation that there'll be bargains in a closing down sale.
    You could also have the suppliers/creditors suddenly increasing pressure for payment of invoices or trying to reclaim their stock as they're afraid of getting stung.

Either/both could precipitate the closure of the business, and the fear is that the rumour could become a self-fulfilling prophesy.

As a mod, I close all these threads because I don't want it on my conscience that our forum could contribute to the closure of someone's business with the associated job losses and problems that would ensue.

If there's a link to a reputable source you can presume someone's done their homework and that it's more than just a rumour. If there's no link, then it's not fair to take the chance and potentially cause damage to someone else's business/job.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Quite an important thread might I say. There is one particular poster on the Limerick City forum who continues to dabble in conjecture when it comes to private business matters. I wrote a pm to one of the mods there outlining my concerns and wasn't even afforded a reply.

I'm glad to see that some regional mods are taking the correct line on this but from my experience the practice is far from streamlined.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Posts without suitable sources are frequently removed from the Limerick City forum.
    I know which poster you're referring to. Yes, they keep their cards close to their chest.
    However, as their contacts tend to be very accurate, I very rarely have to remove their "in-the-know" posts.

Apologies, however, for not replying to your PM. That was poor form on my part.

• Advertisement

I should probably say that it has since come to light that the rumour in question was actually true and biko re-opened the thread with a confirmed source. So is the general consensus to delete the thread or is it OK to lock it and let it fall down through the pages?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I personally would delete it and maybe PM the OP about posting without a source, if locked it's still on the front page for (well in our case) a couple of days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I'd ask for a source, lock after 12-24hrs and delete 24hrs later.

It's easy to undelete a thread.

Advertisement