Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Electoral Boundaries in NCD?

Options
  • 15-01-2011 4:35pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Can someone explain these please. Does it mean that those of us in Rivervalley in Swords, for instance, who are now in the Dublin West constituency, can no longer vote for the representatives who work in our local town?
    I'm trying not to get too irate until I know for sure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

Exactly as you say. We no longer have any vote for the people who work down the road.... We will be voting for people we have never and probably will never see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Ridiculous. I'm now in Blanchardstown ward I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I dont know the exact boundaries but it would make more sense to leave the Parish/town of Swords where it was. Being the Major town of Fingal and admin centre for Fingal. Some of the developments in the last few years like the Pavillions and Airside are big employers for North Dublin and seeing as you have such a distance between Swords and Blanchardstown it makes little sense. Then you also have quite a few from North Dublin villages going to school in Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Did anyone seek your input on these matters? were you consulted about it? was it presented to you as a Fait Accompli? Was it delivered to you by the same people who signed you up for the bank bailout, the arrival of the IMF and the departure of your friends and family as they take the emigrant boat? We have a very strong tradition of dissent in the North County.Time to dig it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Fingalian wrote: »
    Did anyone seek your input on these matters? were you consulted about it? was it presented to you as a Fait Accompli? Was it delivered to you by the same people who signed you up for the bank bailout, the arrival of the IMF and the departure of your friends and family as they take the emigrant boat? We have a very strong tradition of dissent in the North County.Time to dig it up.

This was decided in 2007 by civil servants. Sure they still be in highly over paid benchmarked(remember that con:rolleyes:) no matter what government exists after the next election.
    The Hon. Mr. Justice Iarfhlaith O’Neill, a Judge of the High Court, was nominated by the Chief Justice as chairman of the Commission. The other members are: Mr. Kieran Coughlan, Clerk of the Dail; Ms. Deirdre Lane, Clerk of the Seanad; Ms. Emily O’Reilly, the Ombudsman; and Ms. Geraldine Tallon, Secretary General of the Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local
    Government. (The former Secretary General of the Department, Mr. Niall Callan, was a member of the Commission until 30 June 2007 when he ceased to hold that departmental office on retirement; on 26 June 2007, the Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government by order under section 8(3) of the 1997 Act (S.I. No. 355 of 2007) directed that Mr. Callan’s successor in office be a member of the Commission).

The Comission did publish notices in the press and ask for submissions. Strangely not many from Dublin North submitted submissions, for some reason Leitrim had most of the submissions! The West was awake on that one while Dublin North was asleep.

Source: http://www.constituency-commission.ie/docs/con2007.pdf
    The Commission invited written submissions in relation to both Dail and European Parliament
    constituencies by way of notices in national newspapers on 28 May 2007 and in the Irish language
    in Foinse on 10 June 2007. The notice, a copy of which is in the Seventh Appendix, was also
    published in Iris Oifigiu´il on 12 June 2007. In addition, we invited submissions from each member
    of the Dail, the Seanad and the European Parliament, registered political parties and the returning
    officers/county registrars.
    In accordance with section 10 of the 1997 Act, we prepared a statement concerning constitutional
    provisions relating to Da´il constituencies and population statistics relating to Da´il and European
    Parliament constituencies. A copy of the statement is included in the Eighth Appendix. This
    statement was published on the Commission’s website (see below) and issued to interested parties
    on request. Reminder notices were published in national newspapers in advance of the closing
    dates for submissions (31 July and 31 August 2007 for Dail and European Parliament
    constituencies respectively).

A list of 327 organisations and persons who made submissions about Da´il constituencies, and of 8
    organisations
    and persons who made submissions about European Parliament constituencies, in
    accordance with the public notice is in the Fifth Appendix. Most submissions related to particular
    constituencies or issues but some presented schemes of constituencies covering the whole country.
    The Commission considered each of the submissions in drawing up its recommendations and
    gratefully acknowledges the time and effort taken by all those who made submissions.]

• Advertisement

Can someone explain these please. Does it mean that those of us in Rivervalley in Swords, for instance, who are now in the Dublin West constituency, can no longer vote for the representatives who work in our local town?
    I'm trying not to get too irate until I know for sure.

You can't vote in Dublin North only in Dublin West but your county council ward hasn't changed. Portmarnock voters also face the same problem. Its a country wide problem, Julianstown in Meath ,are now in Louth constituency. Its easier for the boundaries commission to move large population areas to balance the books rather than a large sparely populated area like the Naul/Ballyboughil into Meath for example.

Transfer in Fingal County from Dublin North to Dublin North-East
    Balgriffin 911
    Portmarnock North 4,588
    Portmarnock South 3,522
    Turnapin (part north of M50) 0
    (ii) Transfer in Dublin City from Dublin North to Dublin North-East
    Priorswood A (part north of N32) 0
    Priorswood B (part north of N32) 0
    Priorswood C (part north of N32) 180
    Total 9,201

B. Transfer in Fingal County from Dublin North to Dublin West
    Airport (part north of M50) 325
    Swords-Forrest 12,443
    Total 12,768

Anita Blow wrote: »
    Ridiculous. I'm now in Blanchardstown ward I think?

Blanchardstown Ward is a Fingal County Council Ward not a General election Boundary.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Thanks for that Corsendonk. Does that mean I can no longer vote for local county councillors, or is this division just for the purposes of general elections?

Thanks for that Corsendonk. Does that mean I can no longer vote for local county councillors, or is this division just for the purposes of general elections?

Its General Election Boundaries, you will still be in the Swords electoral Ward for the local elections so you can still vote for your local CC.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

http://www.electoralareacommittees.ie/ this the local areas for comparison
    i think the sowrds decision was noted with surpirse at the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I'm a believer that the general election should be voted on national issues rather than local so this doesn't really bother me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Its General Election Boundaries, you will still be in the Swords electoral Ward for the local elections so you can still vote for your local CC.

Thanks again, that's great to know.

Advertisement