Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xbox live for beginer..help...

• 15-01-2011 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭

my son has xbox live and i played a game on it.....im addicted lol

asked my lad but he's not sure,i've an xbox of my own downstairs and wondering do i need to get a hard drive to play online???
    also do i need to buy the wi=fi unit that goes on the back of the xbox or can i use his(when he isn't using it)
    sorry if these are silly Q im just not sure.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Hi there, if you want to save any progress that you might have made in any game then yes you will a HD. You can also use a usb stick up to 16gb so this should be more than sufficient to use for saves alone rather than a 250gb if you don't download games/demos etc.
    If he has a wifi use it when he is not. Now I don't know the layout of where your xbox or your router is but if you can connect it using a wire instead go ahead and he can use his wifi!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

one thing tho - you'll need separate accounts on each xbox, so you'll pay membership twice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

thanks for the prompt reply's :)

going to be pricey enough to set up,a 20gb hard drive on adverts for 20,(xbox to far away for cable)so wi-fi unit 40,years membership 40,plus 10 fuel to go and buy them :(
    going to have to wait a week and just bully my son for a while,lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

If you wanted to save some cash you could copy your sons profile from his console to yours using a memory stick, saving you the cash of membership plus there's nothing stopping you using his adapter too. If you want your own profile to use anytime though your own setup suggested above is best.

Also you'll get a sub cheaper online, check out the stickied thread at the top of the XBox section for some links.

niallon wrote: »
    If you wanted to save some cash you could copy your sons profile from his console to yours using a memory stick, saving you the cash of membership plus there's nothing stopping you using his adapter too. If you want your own profile to use anytime though your own setup suggested above is best.

Also you'll get a sub cheaper online, check out the stickied thread at the top of the XBox section for some links.

he wont let me use his profile says i'll only wreck his stats lol
    he is right im terrible but it is great crack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Haha cheeky little fella when you probably bought him the xbox in the first place:D. However you could save 40 euro by connecting the xbox using a wire to a laptop that is recieving wirelss if you can? There is a stciky at the top to do this. Sometimes the connection can be unreliable though! Also 10 on fuel? Get on your bike:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

If your going the route of a new xbox user id, you can get xbox live 12 month subscriptions on line for about 30/35 per year ... as opposed to going direct through microsoft for 65.
    http://www.live-codes.com/products.php?con=Xbox

Haha cheeky little fella when you probably bought him the xbox in the first place:D. However you could save 40 euro by connecting the xbox using a wire to a laptop that is recieving wirelss if you can? There is a stciky at the top to do this. Sometimes the connection can be unreliable though! Also 10 on fuel? Get on your bike:P

wire through lappy not gonna really work 2 dogs running around liable to pull wire out as they have done to lappy wire numerous times,also on me bike better bring my tent long cycle from meath to dublin :)

jambofc wrote: »
    wire through lappy not gonna really work 2 dogs running around liable to pull wire out as they have done to lappy wire numerous times,also on me bike better bring my tent long cycle from meath to dublin :)

You've a Smyths over there in Navan now, if that's any easier, that should have the adapter in stock for €60 and will have a 12 month sub for €40, works out a bit more expensive but saves the travel!

http://toys.ie/WIRELESS-N-NETWORK-ADAPTER-BLACK-X360-!G15193-prod.aspx
    http://toys.ie/XBOX-LIVE-12-MONTHS-GOLD-CARD--800-PTS-!H16300-prod.aspx?qwSessionID=0756d06a-4e16-4d7b-8b53-230cf49c0544
    http://toys.ie/XBOX-LIVE-12-MONTHS-GOLD-CARD-!C08085-prod.aspx?qwSessionID=0756d06a-4e16-4d7b-8b53-230cf49c0544

Second link is a new 12 month sub coming out Jan 28th for €50 that includes 800 MS Points with it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

GBX wrote: »
    If your going the route of a new xbox user id, you can get xbox live 12 month subscriptions on line for about 30/35 per year ... as opposed to going direct through microsoft for 65.
    http://www.live-codes.com/products.php?con=Xbox
    I see you're £34.99 and lower you to £31.99! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

does meath not have shops?:rolleyes:

since he said you'll wreck his stats, when your all set up and sorted. stay up all night and practice whatever his game is. get really good. then play against him and join the other side and kick his NOOB ass. and then over the mic you can constantly shout "who's your daddy ohh yaaa":rolleyes::rolleyes:

wait off on buying the xbl gold membership because when you join up you get a months free trial so if it turns out after a month you dont like it then you'll save a few euros and when it does come to buying it DONT get it in a shop. buy online as someone above said. half the price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,911 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Wait for your son to do something bad then ground him and take his Xbox away. :D

Wait for your son to do something bad then ground him and take his Xbox away. :D

now that would just be bad ;)

now that would just be bad ;)

if you want bad, after you do that make him watch you play it on his account and he'l get to watch his stats slowly drop :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭finno

I think i have a spare 20 gig harddrive from my old xbox 360. you can have it if you want. I will have a look for it and let you know

have seen a couple of the older wi-fi gizmos for the xbox on adverts.ie is there any difference in the one's with one antenna and 2 antenna??

i presume the double antenna one's have a better reception.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

If you really wanted to you could buy a long Ethernet and just like have it on the nailed on the wall running to your xbox. You can get wires that are 50ft long. Power City do them fir sure. eBay do too for well cheaper but waiting longer. You can easily use a USB stick for your storage. No need for a HDD. I've had my xbox 3 years with over 70 (at least) and my Gamertag (account) is only 570MB. Then you get 3 (seperate accounts) one month trials if you don't wantvto buy subscription. :p

Is it Black Ops by any chance? Stats are very important in that game. Ha ha. :D

LukeS_ wrote: »
    If you really wanted to you could buy a long Ethernet and just like have it on the nailed on the wall running to your xbox. You can get wires that are 50ft long. Power City do them fir sure. eBay do too for well cheaper but waiting longer. You can easily use a USB stick for your storage. No need for a HDD. I've had my xbox 3 years with over 70 (at least) and my Gamertag (account) is only 570MB. Then you get 3 (seperate accounts) one month trials if you don't wantvto buy subscription. :p

Is it Black Ops by any chance? Stats are very important in that game. Ha ha. :D

cable not really an option,with the dogs and where the router is,do you no if there is much of a difference in the 2 wi-fi units(1v's2 antenna)?

ha ha yea black ops and battfield 2 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

cable not really an option,with the dogs and where the router is,do you no if there is much of a difference in the 2 wi-fi units(1v's2 antenna)?

The main difference between the 2 adapters is that the black one with 2 antennas supports 802.11n wifi, as well as the b/g protocols that the white, single-antenna one supports. While I suppose in theory perhaps the reception on the 802.11 adapter might be better (and I've never proven this, nor heard of it being proven) the only scenario when it will definitely perform better is if you have an 802.11n router.

cython wrote: »
    The main difference between the 2 adapters is that the black one with 2 antennas supports 802.11n wifi, as well as the b/g protocols that the white, single-antenna one supports. While I suppose in theory perhaps the reception on the 802.11 adapter might be better (and I've never proven this, nor heard of it being proven) the only scenario when it will definitely perform better is if you have an 802.11n router.

more confused now,lol

i have eircom and a zyxel router?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

more confused now,lol

i have eircom and a zyxel router?!?!

Sorry, I should have added that the odds are you don't have an N-compatible router, unless you specifically bought one. Most are still G, so the new one is probably of no great benefit to you

cython wrote: »
    Sorry, I should have added that the odds are you don't have an N-compatible router, unless you specifically bought one. Most are still G, so the new one is probably of no great benefit to you

ok thanks,will go and make on offer on one i have seen on adverts :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

No there's not really. As somebody above said it's only the wireless protocols. The only real difference between protocols is what speed they can handle. G up to 54mbps, N up to 248mbps. The black one supports B, G and N while the White supports just B and G.

I've never used the black one but I've been using the White one for two years now and I've never had any connection issues on any games. No need for the black one unless you have an N router. :D Just go for the white one.

Oh btw, Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit is a good game too. ;)

ok set up but having a slight problem when im on battlefield i cant get into a game,now ive just used a 4gb stick and wondering if this is the problem?

so i can get a 16gb stick for 32euro or a 20gb xbox hard drive for 45,am i better off paying the extra for the xbox hard drive or will the 16gb stick be fine?

ok set up but having a slight problem when im on battlefield i cant get into a game,now ive just used a 4gb stick and wondering if this is the problem?

so i can get a 16gb stick for 32euro or a 20gb xbox hard drive for 45,am i better off paying the extra for the xbox hard drive or will the 16gb stick be fine?

i dont know about the hard drives but battlefield servers are sh1te the last week. if you cant connect return to the menu and sign out and in, and repeat again if it dont work. if it doesnt work by the third time i dunno :rolleyes:

You can run into trouble with Memory Sticks due to them not being recognised as hard drives, rather flash drives. The biggest incident on this issue so far has been Halo Reach, can't be played online without a hard drive with 6GB or more free so anyone with a 4GB console or using a memory stick was screwed. So far Halo Reach is the only game to present this problem but it'd worry me if there's a chance of something like this happening again.

ok ive bought a hard drive and it's still the bloody same :mad:

the most annoying part now is that my son can go on line on his xbox and find a game on battlefield but i cant.........only sometimes can i,so only thing i can think of now is that he is using wi-fi and i just have a Ethernet cable(30ft)long,running across the room lol mrs is going mad at it big yellow cable running threw the house......

so this has to be the problem?!?!?!?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Do you have the map packs downloaded??

Matchmaking has been bad lately, try going back to main menu and searching again. There's a big group of us on boards that play battlefield bad company 2 if you wanna play with people who aren't idiot assholes(like 98.5% of randomers are)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

ok ive bought a hard drive and it's still the bloody same :mad:

the most annoying part now is that my son can go on line on his xbox and find a game on battlefield but i cant.........only sometimes can i,so only thing i can think of now is that he is using wi-fi and i just have a Ethernet cable(30ft)long,running across the room lol mrs is going mad at it big yellow cable running threw the house......

so this has to be the problem?!?!?!?!?

i would say no, I would choose an ethernet setup over a wireless setup where possible. if you can, steal (borrow) the son's wifi adapter to test on your own machine. are you having issues on other games?

• Advertisement

Do you have the map packs downloaded??

Matchmaking has been bad lately, try going back to main menu and searching again. There's a big group of us on boards that play battlefield bad company 2 if you wanna play with people who aren't idiot assholes(like 98.5% of randomers are)

i have tried to download but seems to take forever,this could possibly be the problem when i think about it,everyone playing on the new maps?!?!?!?

Advertisement