Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish HL Mocks!!

• 15-01-2011 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hey, I just wanted to ask does anyone know what might possibly come up in the Aiste on Paper 1 in the mocks?
    With around 3 weeks to go I only have time to learn about 2 essays at the most. I started an essay on recession and change in Ireland today but I'm starting to doubt whether it will come up! :S
    Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GarRo247

Could you not just find what company your school buys their mocks from and then nearly all of them are available online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 AutumnBreeze

They've never told us that. Do you know any of the websites so I could check them out?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GarRo247

They've never told us that.

They don't tell you because they don't want you to see the paper before the exam. Every year my school buys its exams from Dublin Education Board http://www.debexams.ie/default.aspx so we know what's coming up, I've no idea about any other schools though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Learn 2 or 3 exceptionally general essays and force it to fit. That's what i've done for all my past Irish exams.

That said though, all I want is a pass from Irish. I'm not counting it for points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭CG328

Best thing to do is to learn a really good general introduction and conclusion, a lot of marks is going for both here and it's easy to learn off these and include a higher standard of irish which will really boost up your grade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 workingstudent

mocks could throw anything at you but for the real thing(the improtant exams!!) i'd say something about the state of the country and nature/natural disasters

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mozzypuffs

Does anyone think they would ask a essay on the extreme weather we had in December??

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Meller

mozzypuffs wrote: »
    Does anyone think they would ask a essay on the extreme weather we had in December??

i can imagine that would be a possibility as a leamhthuiscint, but there's not much insight or personal opinion you can give on weather conditions in an aiste. i'd learn potential vocab though, in case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 AutumnBreeze

Thanks for the input guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭CG328

mozzypuffs wrote: »

Highly unlikely considering the exams are put together around October..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

GarRo247 wrote: »
    They don't tell you because they don't want you to see the paper before the exam. Every year my school buys its exams from Dublin Education Board http://www.debexams.ie/default.aspx so we know what's coming up, I've no idea about any other schools though.

Actually, you can't just log on and view the papers.
    You need to register as a teacher and a password will be sent to the principal/school.
    Waste of time trying to find out what's coming up. You won't be able to do that in June.
    You're only kidding yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Megatron_X

GarRo247 wrote: »

In all fairness they shouldn't tell you because knowing what's coming up ruins the point of the mocks; you're supposed to learn everything and cover all possibilities, just like we'll have to have done come June.

The results don't matter but the good thing about the mocks is the wake-up call it gives us, and knowing what comes up completely dilutes that.

Edit:

OP, I'm not sure what level your Irish is at really so I amn't sure what kind of advice to give. Personally I'd be able to learn more than 2 Irish essays in 3 weeks. I'll be doing it by writing the essay but not learning it off by heart. It takes a lot longer trying to memorize each and every word than it does remembering the mains points of each paragraph, or the gist of them even. Personally, my Irish is good enough to fill in the blanks between the main points, so it's much quicker for me to learn the 'skeleton' of the essay and put the meat on it while I'm writing. If your Irish is good enough you should do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭sh4128

major possibility of women in politics coming up as an essay with mary mc aleese's term up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

sh4128 wrote: »
    major possibility of women in politics coming up as an essay with mary mc aleese's term up
    There's definitely something in that theory. I'd say politics is highly likely to show its face in either English comprehension or Irish/French as a topic of either comprehension or production.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruadhan

There's definitely something in that theory. I'd say politics is highly likely to show its face in either English comprehension or Irish/French as a topic of either comprehension or production.

*cough* politicians.. *cough*. My mocks are in a week and our teacher has been ridiculously obvious in dropping hints and going over things all of a sudden now. So yeah I basically know what higher poems, storys, history, an triail and aisle is coming up.. It's a bit ridiculous actually because it's not going to help us for the real thing now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Yahooaccount

ruadhan wrote: »
    *cough* politicians.. *cough*. My mocks are in a week and our teacher has been ridiculously obvious in dropping hints and going over things all of a sudden now. So yeah I basically know what higher poems, storys, history, an triail and aisle is coming up.. It's a bit ridiculous actually because it's not going to help us for the real thing now

And do ye have the DEB mock papers? What essays do you think will come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruadhan

And do ye have the DEB mock papers? What essays do you think will come up?

No idea which company. Tbh, don't want to spread that stuf ove the Internet, it's better if you don't know really. I've already said enough in my last post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

And ... I think it's time for this thread to go bye-bye!

There is a thread for the Mocks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement