Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abandoned Ireland, Limerick

• 15-01-2011 6:17pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭

Have any of you ever visited any of the abandonded places in Limerick as listed here www.abandonedireland.com (or am I the only nerd who'd find something like this interesting?)

I've been to a few of the Galway ones and all those listed for Sligo, along with others I know of there.

I don't really know where most of the Limerick ones are (but Google Maps is helping with that) and having grown up on a farm, I'm mindful of right-of-way issues etc

Just something that popped into my head, any feedback would be most welcome :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

its a pity it doesn't say where they are - Abandoned Cottege, Co. Limerick isn't very helpful for finding anything on google earth. Been to a few of the more well known ones. nice to see them documented - ruins all too often don't get photographed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Yep great old site shared it with loads of friends before.
    Was only out near one of the Limerick locations today.

Ballinagarde house is on the land where Limerick airsoft camp hosts
    Games. The house itself is not used as part of the game areas, but it's a great feature in the background.

~B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Just had a nose on that site, what a gem of a site. I am definitely going to check a few of those places out, love old historical builings. I must be a nerd too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Yeah would like to know whereabouts the cottage and that old abbey are exactly, be nice to get some photos of my own. Excellent idea for a website btw.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Carrigogunnel Castel looks amazing, I think it'll be my first excursion once the weather improves!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

My relations owned Barnagh station (its just outside Newcastlewest)...I know it well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Have a kmz google earth linky thing attached
    with placemarker for Ballinagarde House.

It apparently looked something like this back in its day:
    ballinagarde-house-ballyneety-co-limerick.jpg

From stories I heard down through the years the owners of the land never let anyone come near the ruins, But a while back the Current Owner of the land decided to let a bunch of lads set up the airsoft site beside its location.

Carrigogunnel I've not seen since I was a teenager doing my leaving cert, there was stories
    growing up that the stone work out there would affect a compass needle, (it didnt)

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

What a great site,thanks.

Mc Love wrote: »
    My relations owned Barnagh station (its just outside Newcastlewest)...I know it well.

That has been cleaned up a bit now I think? Took a walk back the old railway line last summer, the great southern trail, started off at NCW but didnt quite make it as far as Barnagh, just shows what an unfit bastard I am :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭sioda

Have been in Moore hall in Mayo very cool they must have brought a ladder to get the gear in though

• Advertisement

The haunted house in Clare is crazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

The haunted house in Clare is crazy

The secret Turret on the clare site is near Castlconnell, lovely walk. There's also a great abandoned mill on the far side of the river from it.

What's the story behind the haunted house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

we've always called that old turret near the angler's rest in Clonlara the Hellfire Club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

its a real pity he doesnt give the address

been using his site for a few years now

do you know about urbanexploration.ie ? its down at the moment but its a forum for discussing urbexing based in ireland and so on

its a real pity he doesnt give the address

been using his site for a few years now

do you know about urbanexploration.ie ? its down at the moment but its a forum for discussing urbexing based in ireland and so on

If he gave the address he could end up ruining a lot of the places i guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Have any of you ever visited any of the abandonded places in Limerick as listed here www.abandonedireland.com (or am I the only nerd who'd find something like this interesting?)
    you've gained so many brownie points from me :pac:

That has been cleaned up a bit now I think? Took a walk back the old railway line last summer, the great southern trail, started off at NCW but didnt quite make it as far as Barnagh, just shows what an unfit bastard I am :pac:

That sounds like exactly the sort of shítehawking I'd be likely to get up to at home, hadn't a notion where to start in Limerick though, but that's a great idea for a day's wandering, thanks!
    The secret Turret on the clare site is near Castlconnell, lovely walk. There's also a great abandoned mill on the far side of the river from it.

I can't wait to see this as well, it looks fantastic. How would I get to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Kenzi

What's the story behind the haunted house?
    Second that

nosietoes wrote: »
    we've always called that old turret near the angler's rest in Clonlara the Hellfire Club

Someone told me it actually was a Hellfire club at one point? Nice spot.
    That sounds like exactly the sort of shítehawking I'd be likely to get up to at home, hadn't a notion where to start in Limerick though, but that's a great idea for a day's wandering, thanks!

Yup its great to get out for some air, walked for a couple of hours and didnt meet a soul. Bliss :D A lot of opening and closing gates but its a great walk.
    http://www.southerntrail.net/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,517 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Kenzi wrote: »
    Second that

+1!

Anyone have any ideas? :eek:

• Advertisement

I can't wait to see this as well, it looks fantastic. How would I get to it?

To get to the Mill, drive out towards the Dublin motorway, at the roundabout that would lead you on to the motorway take the first exit. Travel down that road about a mile and a half, think it's the second road down to your left (not sure).

To get to the Secret Turret/Hellfire Club, go all the way into Castleconnell, park your car at the bottom of the hill, there's a small car park near the ruined castle. Follow the river path until you get to a wooden bridge (only a few hundred metres), cross the bridge and take a left on the far (Clare) side of the river. Just keeping following the path beside the river and you'll come to it. If you go beyond it you pass an old "Big House" and eventually you'll come out a small pub called the Angler's Rest in Doonass. http://www.facebook.com/theanglersrest?ref=ts

you can actually walk from the Old Mill into Castleconnell but it means cutting across fields. It's a nice walk but I've no idea if the land owners are cool about people walking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Yeah it was meant to be taken over by a doctor but it never came to fruition.

phill106 wrote: »
    Yes, all i can think of is what a waste of a house

I never even realised it was abandoned! A waste is right

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Has anyone suggested a forum get-together at any of those locations yet?
    It'd be a great idea for day out if people were interested.

Has anyone suggested a forum get-together at any of those locations yet?
    It'd be a great idea for day out if people were interested.

Deadly idea! Could get a few more nice photos for the Limerick Photos thread too while we're at it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭dos30

Here is another similar site, with some different ruins from around Limerick.

http://www.nobodyhome.ie/galleries.html

dos30 wrote: »
    Here is another similar site, with some different ruins from around Limerick.

http://www.nobodyhome.ie/galleries.html

Anyone know where that house called the Grange is? I was always fascinated with the Cratloemoyle Castle too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Anyone know where that house called the Grange is? I was always fascinated with the Cratloemoyle Castle too.

Must have a look next time im at the aunts. You know there is another castle on the opposite side of the carriageway? Hard to see behind the trees, but it is there.

Advertisement