Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abandoned Ireland, Limerick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I didnt know that, thanks Phil. I did notice a new style house that was built near there, looks cool.

In terms of abandoned houses, there is a house out near Ardagh, which is quite a big farm house that is supposedly haunted.

I wonder if any of the houses/castles on abandoned ireland and nobody is home are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Mc Love wrote: »
    I didnt know that, thanks Phil. I did notice a new style house that was built near there, looks cool.

In terms of abandoned houses, there is a house out near Ardagh, which is quite a big farm house that is supposedly haunted.

I wonder if any of the houses/castles on abandoned ireland and nobody is home are?

It would be before those houses, if you start looking left once you are past where the bypass comes back down onto the road. Easier to see if you are a passenger, or ideally on a bus. If you are as far as the new house, you are gone too far i think. It's more around the Barn area of the first house.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

BUMP!

If the weather holds tomorrow I think I'm going to go investamagate a few of these spots! If anyone wants to come along, PM me :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

BUMP!

If the weather holds tomorrow I think I'm going to go investamagate a few of these spots! If anyone wants to come along, PM me :pac:

Cant go tomorrow but would be interested in making a day of it another time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

BUMP!

I've no plans for tomorrow. I'll send you a PM this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

any particular spots in mind?

are they going to be madra friendly?

Don't mind.. And I've no objections to a madra coming along too..

how did this go today?

I made the stupid miskate of training when i clearly wasnt well enough too instead of tagging along :(

Didn't really happen, IO left me hanging :mad: So I fecked off out the N69 and went exploring out there as it's the part of Co. Limerick that I see the least. Very nice afternoon but forgot to charge my camera battery before I left and missed out on lots of nice photo opportunities.

Maybe we can organise something a bit better another time!

Didn't really happen, IO left me hanging :mad: So I fecked off out the N69 and went exploring out there as it's the part of Co. Limerick that I see the least. Very nice afternoon but forgot to charge my camera battery before I left and missed out on lots of nice photo opportunities.

Maybe we can organise something a bit better another time!

It is a cracking day. Where did you end up?

• Advertisement

Went as far as Foynes, was going to keep going and get the ferry from Tarbert to see if it was as cool as I remember from my childhood, but changed my mind and went over to Abbeyfeale to a friend for a cuppa.

Beautiful day for it, enjoyed it no end!

it is just as cool now as it was 10-15 years ago :) ferries are always going to be cool...

Yeah I'm half kicking myself for not taking it today but I'll do it again soon.

Was working in Cobh last summer, needed to get to CUH and back as quickly as possible, Sat Nav insisted I take the ferry and not being familiar with the area, who was I to refuse? The crossing only took about 3 minutes but hey, the novelty value was welcome, and I was getting paid to be on a ferry. Nice :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

To get to the Mill, drive out towards the Dublin motorway, at the roundabout that would lead you on to the motorway take the first exit. Travel down that road about a mile and a half, think it's the second road down to your left (not sure).

To get to the Secret Turret/Hellfire Club, go all the way into Castleconnell, park your car at the bottom of the hill, there's a small car park near the ruined castle. Follow the river path until you get to a wooden bridge (only a few hundred metres), cross the bridge and take a left on the far (Clare) side of the river. Just keeping following the path beside the river and you'll come to it. If you go beyond it you pass an old "Big House" and eventually you'll come out a small pub called the Angler's Rest in Doonass. http://www.facebook.com/theanglersrest?ref=ts

you can actually walk from the Old Mill into Castleconnell but it means cutting across fields. It's a nice walk but I've no idea if the land owners are cool about people walking it.

I went to SOMETHING out there, but i think i missed the actual turret/hellfire club. Instead I just came to the old "big house". How on earth did i miss it? Went across the bridge, took a left along the path and kept walking. For anyone else planning on doing this, don't bring 2 small children, one in a buggy!
    First obstacle was a walk through gate thingy, lifted buggy over my head with baby in it, no problem. Bit further on, small stream.....with rocks there as a bridge...ok more buggy lifting!

Finally came to another field, and as i walk along it, I can see a big old house to the right, that must be it!
    Walk upppppp the field, pulling the stupid buggy behing me like a sled, as it wasn't built for this. 5 year old asking me to carry him, saying he isn't able for this ;)
    He also says its worse sunday ever (i think he is joking).
    Get up to house and its a ruin alright! Some big old abandoned merc car is in the garage next to it too. Took some pics of the interior of the house, floors have fallen in, and window frames surround the exterior of the building where they fell out. Interesting to look in, will post some pics tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Myself and a few mates had a look round that "old house" a few years ago and were hunted from the place by the owners! :o They were a real elderly couple, dont know if they're still keeping a lookout on the place.

The turret is not easy to spot from what I can remember, well hidden by trees and growth etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭adaminho

For anyone intrested in this they are opening an exhibition this Saturday in Raggle taggle studios on sarsfield street (below Mogul Emperor). Runs until the 11th of November.

adaminho wrote: »
    For anyone intrested in this they are opening an exhibition this Saturday in Raggle taggle studios on sarsfield street (below Mogul Emperor). Runs until the 11th of November.

Who are "they" and what will they be exhibiting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭adaminho

Abandoned Ireland are hosting a photography exhibition. Details are on their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭AI

Abandoned Mansions of Ireland
    an exhibition by Tarquin Blake.

@ Raggle Taggle Gallery, Limerick City Centre, Sarsfield Street (at the corner of Henry Street)

The exhibition runs from Saturday 22nd October until Friday 11th November and will be open 12 noon to 6pm Mondays to Saturdays and 2-5pm on Sundays.

- Free Entry -

‘Abandoned Mansions of Ireland’ - Tarquin Blake’s fascinating photographic project- spanning three years of research and documentation goes on display in Limerick at the Raggle Taggle Art Gallery on Sarsfied Street. The exhibition contains stunning images of Ireland’s ruined ‘Big Houses’ from Blake's recent bestselling and critically acclaimed book 'Abandoned Mansions of Ireland' published by The Collins Press. In the exhibition, Blake documents the end of the landed aristocracy in Ireland and the demise of their country mansion houses. His beautiful, haunting images of crumbling ruins convey an indefinable beauty. The images are accompanied by history and folklore, telling of troubled times and private hardship. Blake’s compelling work also provides convincing evidence of the wilful neglect that numerous examples of our architectural heritage are being allowed to disintegrate.

For examples of Blake's work, refer to his website www.AbandonedIreland.com

Web_poster_limerick.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Limerick city centre - abandoned Ireland :):eek::)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

adaminho wrote: »
    got myself and a few others kinda excited about this, went down and the place was closed.
    Is it place itself meant to be abandoned ? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 fatbudgie

I was in at the exhibition yesterday
    very nice indeed!! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

seachto7 wrote: »
    Limerick city centre - abandoned Ireland :):eek::)

lol
    but does anyone know any real abandoned or haunted areas near the city. I'm 14 so I can't go out into the country. Oh, and does anyone know if there's a way to get into the mansion in currachase?
    Thank you!! -^ ^-

• Registered Users Posts: 19 storysham

I'm amazed that this page has gone on for as many as 4 pages without a single person posting with "Stay off my land!!!"
    Last forum dedicated to this activity I was involved with shut down due to constant legal threats.
    Long may this thread last!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

http://www.abandonedireland.com/Lackeen.html

The ancestral home of my family. If I won the Euromillions I'd buy it and declare myself a lord:pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

That one reminds me a lot of the "castle" on Inis Oírr, although the latter had its top blown off years ago. Impressive looking building, so it is. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

What would they be smoking back then?? A pooka!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭fleabag

There's also the Urban Exploration Forum at http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/index.php

This is a really comprehensive site with listings and images from all over the world including some great ones in Ireland, and in Limerick there are reports on St. Senans Children's Hospital, Flextronic and Atlas Aluminium amongst others. I particularly like the 'hospitals and asylums' listing - well creepy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

There's one place i'd love to peer inside - that abandoned mansion in the middle of Curraghchase Forest Park, formely owned by the De Vere family and left abandoned after a fire in the formative years of the last century. It looks proper spooky from the outside

• Advertisement

grenache wrote:
    There's one place i'd love to peer inside - that abandoned mansion in the middle of Curraghchase Forest Park, formely owned by the De Vere family and left abandoned after a fire in the formative years of the last century. It looks proper spooky from the outside

These should satisfy your curiosity :) I took these around 4 years ago so I'm not sure if access is still possible.

5C0E056904DA41D2824EE0CE2E2EB37F-800.jpg

024EF678515242149A14CC4376A28BA8-640.jpg

BD796A744752426CB7A201CD803D91A7-640.jpg

19367D4ACDE646BC8E5D473634161AD2-640.jpg

540CE61D2302499FBA86D1F639A31FD0-640.jpg

2E52039A525E4F5386EFF52EE9EEF1A8-640.jpg
    fleabag wrote:
    There's also the Urban Exploration Forum at http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/index.php

This is a really comprehensive site with listings and images from all over the world including some great ones in Ireland, and in Limerick there are reports on St. Senans Children's Hospital, Flextronic and Atlas Aluminium amongst others. I particularly like the 'hospitals and asylums' listing - well creepy!

Unfortunately I heard Atlas Aluminium was burnt down last month by vandals. It's a massive shame but it seems to be the fate a lot of derelict buildings are facing in this country.

Advertisement