Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you think of this bike?

• 15-01-2011 6:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I don't know much about bikes, so I thought you guys might be able to advise me here. I'm looking for a nice road bike (or maybe a hybird) to commute to work with. I'll probably take it out into the countryside once the weather gets nicer, too. My budget is about £600 (about 720 euro).

The guy in the bike shop recommended an own-brand bike. You can see the specs here. He said the equivalent specs on a branded bike would set me back about a grand. Is that right?

Other bikes I was looking at are the Specialized Allez 16 '11 and the Giant Defy 3 '11. Are these decent entry level bikes, or should I try to stretch my budget a little? Which of the three would you pick? Is there anything in particular I should look out for?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

I'd go for the Giant. I have a Giant Defy 4 and its a great starter bike.

Also that Giant Defy 3 '11 is a good looking bike imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Fremen wrote: »
    He said the equivalend specs on a branded bike would set me back about a grand. Is that right?

Probably fair. 105 is three levels up from 2300, far superior. Wheels look fine too.

Don't know anything about the frame though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

As I said before, I know very little about cycling - I'm just starting out, really. What's the difference between the 105 and the 2300? How would it affect the feel of the bike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

While the spec. is better on that own-brand bike I don't think you'd notice a discernible difference on the road, unless its noticeably lighter.
    Get a test spin if you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Lets not confuse things. The link that you have provided shows a bike equipped with Shimano 5600 (2300 is a very different groupset). As far as I know 5600 is the previous version of the current 105 group, from a few years ago (2005/6 ?). Even so, as the current 105 (I think this is now 5700 ?) is a smooth groupset, a bike kitted with this 5600 kit should be a very good buy at that price. Others on here may be more familiar with Shimano 5600

The 2300 group is newer but much more basic, without the combined lever system of the current 105 (and 5600) and while they would still be fine, would be about average price for a bike with this kit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭dave.obrien

Shimano uses serial numbers like 2300 and 5600 for specific groupsets, with 2300 being their entry level integrated shifting system, and all groupsets above that being given a "branding" name, going from sora, through, tiagra, 105, ultegra, and dura ace. The 105 (5600) groupset was the model of 105 that directly preceeded the current version (5700). The differences are in the shape of the hoods and shifters, the routing of the cabling, and the weight. The version on the bike you have linked would have been the version available from 2008(ish) to 2010. It looks a good deal without knowing anything about the frame.

Effectively, you're looking at getting a good finishing kit on an unknown frame, or with the spesh and giant, a resppected and known-quantity frame with lower grade finishing kit. Just make sure that if they're selling older stock, that they have the right size for you, and aren't just flogging it to you at a good price 'cause it's all they have left; whatever you save on the cost of the bike will be more than offset by trips to the physio due to problems associated with an ill fitting bike.

Thanks for the advice Dave. They had three or four of the own-brand bikes left in the sale, and I think they were of varying sizes. They seemed to know what they were doing in the shop, but I thought I'd be crazy not to get a second opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

105 is a million miles away from 2300, the shifting system is far smother and imo more comfortable. My bike originally had 2300 an upgraded to ultegra (the group above 105, but not massively different), the difference is amazing.

In addition the wheels are built on 105 hubs, for me at that price its a no brainer.

There are too many specialized and giant out there anyway. Do take it for a test ride first of possible.

Ah crap, I'm having second thoughts now. I had settled on the own-brand bike, but there's a Specialized Allez Comp '10 here reduced from £1,200 to £800. Is it worth the extra few hundred?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

Fremen wrote: »
    Ah crap, I'm having second thoughts now. I had settled on the own-brand bike, but there's a Specialized Allez Comp '10 here reduced from £1,200 to £800. Is it worth the extra few hundred?

The Revolution you found seems like very good value. a few hundred grams heavier than that specialized. Seems like not everybody likes Tektro brakes, but its usually the pads that are naff from the reviews I have seen.

It seems to me if you have half an inkling you are going to get into bikes, you have two choices: get the best you can afford (in which case it would be nice to actually get on the bike and see how it feels) or alternatively get the best pound for pound value bike, and upgrade in a few years time if you get serious.

Frame geometry on the two bikes is a bit different so I expect they would feel quite different. I am no expert, but see: http://www.bikecyclingreviews.com/Frame_Geometry.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement