Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Be grateful for Boards

Options
  • 15-01-2011 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭

I have just removed myself from another large message board site. Posters are for the most part civil, pleasant and helpful, mostly would be described as mature women. However there is always the odd troublemaker and I had a run-in with one who made a very serious statement which reflected on my morals and integrity.

My issue was with the moderation, which was completely unreasonable (the original post was allowed to stand but I was censured). I have made extensive efforts to contact the site admins, at all times being civil and moderate. I have received curt, unhelpful replies and been dismissed in various ways.

Their method of dealing with an issue is to hide it. On Boards, issues are dealt with openly and problems with moderation are dealt with in public. I think the admins should be commended for their open and fair approach to dealing with posters, it makes Boards a much more honest and reasonable forum for discussion.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

They are all evviiiilllll

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I enjoy boards for the same reason.

There are the odd few that troll and bait - their time on the forum generally are short lived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭NeedaNewName

Same happens on most internet forums tbh

No one like to have their dirty laundry in public.

Please remember there are always people involved, and people will be just people.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

looksee wrote: »
    I think the admins should be commended for their open and fair approach to dealing with posters, it makes Boards a much more honest and reasonable forum for discussion.

Don't forget admins are just the bottom of the barrel - the forum moderators deserve most of the credit as they are usually the first in the line of fire. And not forgetting our category moderators, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Don't forget admins are just the bottom of the barrel - the forum moderators deserve most of the credit as they are usually the first in the line of fire. And not forgetting our category moderators, of course.

Yes, I know what you mean, though I'm not sure about describing admins as the bottom of the barrel :D What I am saying is though that the site is organised in such a way that the moderation is transparent, if admin said that no disagreements with moderation were to be dealt with in public, there would not be anything the mods could do about it.

I got a good bit of personal feed-back via pm on the other board and the concensus was that moderation was arbitary, inconsistent and there was never any response to complaints.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Threads like these are rare but make the time we (mods) put in here so much more worthwhile.

Thank you looksee. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

/bans Looksee from B&C arbitrarily - just in the interest of balance you understand.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Yay, I've been banned! Now I'm a proper boardsie. Not entirely sure why though, will I argue it in Feedback? Oh yes...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,958 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Yay, I've been banned! Now I'm a proper boardsie. Not entirely sure why though, will I argue it in Feedback? Oh yes...

There is no point arguing it. They never listen, and then they all gang up on you, taking it in turns to point out grammatical errors to prove their point.

When the lolcats come out you know you're really screwed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Don't forget admins are just the bottom of the barrel.

Certainly, we scraped the bottom when choosing you, but the rest of us are top notch!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

TheZohan banned me from AH for a day once, but it doesn't really count.

Nobody's ever properly banned me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Sarky wrote: »
    TheZohan banned me from AH for a day once, but it doesn't really count.

Nobody's ever properly banned me :(

*stretches fingers cracks knuckles*

After Hours

Ive been banned from AH 4 times
    Twice for responding to bait by trolls
    Once for asking a female poster - "hows your fanny for a lodger"
    Once for calling a transexual an "assclown" - i wasnt aware of their sexuality at the time so in fairness it was an unfortunate word to use in a rebuttle

TCN
    Once, uniquely for a post made in another forum :pac:

Humor forum.

This ban was by hagar - it was my first ban and my favourite (favourite when taken into context), the ban needed to be made however and i was quickly ushered into the nein11 forum.

Feedback

Lolcats - too many lolcats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Bans? pffft

Infractions are where it's at...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

snyper wrote: »
    TCN
    Once, uniquely for a post made in another forum :pac:

In my defence, I was pretty drunk for a lot of that week. Still, I'd do it again, because I thought it was funny.

But yeah, Boards doesn't do too badly at keeping things on track. There are a few hiccups, and occasionally some jerk does something for the lulz, but by and large it works. Hiccups usually get sorted when the offended party doesn't throw a strop about it. Power-trippers are few and far between, and if they really do overstep the mark, they are sorted out pretty damn quickly.

But, and this is the sticking point I think a lot of people have trouble with, you have to "get" how it works. Loath as I am to use a pub analogy, there's no point walking into your local and then calling the place a shambles because they don't serve pan fried duck foie gras with your pint of Fosters. Pubs, on the whole, don't DO that. And they don't have to listen to you whine about it. Keep it up and they'll probably bar you for the sake of the hundred other customers who were quite enjoying their take-away pizza and whiskey. Or whatever mix of food and drink floats your particular boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 FineOlSolution

I have just removed myself from another large message board site

It sounds like a good site, where freedom of expression is valued more than pandering to advertisers. Yes you can feel safe and warm here, nobody is going to tell you to F off because coca cola would not give their advertising dollars to a site where such shenanigans could be encountered,

The fact that you can't comprehend that this is what is occuring, pandering to the money and not your sense of offense just makes the site you left far better off.

Nothing of value was lost to the site you left and you have made this place more of a snivveling piss hole.

Congratulations, you just earned first prize in the 'i don't know what's going on' competition.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

FineOlSolution, it's amusing that you say that, then spend so much time re-registering just to be here.

It sounds like a good site, where freedom of expression is valued more than pandering to advertisers. Yes you can feel safe and warm here, nobody is going to tell you to F off because coca cola would not give their advertising dollars to a site where such shenanigans could be encountered,

The fact that you can't comprehend that this is what is occuring, pandering to the money and not your sense of offense just makes the site you left far better off.

Nothing of value was lost to the site you left and you have made this place more of a snivveling piss hole.

Congratulations, you just earned first prize in the 'i don't know what's going on' competition.

Does any of that make any sense? I think there is a contradiction in there somewhere but I can't work up enough interest to work it out. If its such a SPH why are you here? :rolleyes:

Advertisement