Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Much of A loss Was Mick Taylor To The Stones ?

Options
  • 15-01-2011 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭

spacer.gif
    He produced some great stuff with them in their glory period, They never had the greatest again. Was it down to Mick departure?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Mick gave them total power

different class

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Mick gave them total power

different class

I agree 100 %. I read somewhere that Keith Richards did not really get on with Taylor. He ( Richards) was probably jealous, and probably knew that Taylor was light years ahead of him as a guitarist.

He was great with the Stones, but IMO he really shone with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers. He was only 17 years old when he played on Mayall's "Crusade" album, taking over the guitar chair from Peter Greene in the process.

The sad part is that Taylor is now broke and is playing local pub gigs for a pittance to try and make ends meet. However, that's a story for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

I have the John mayall 'beano' album but I haven't heard Mick play with them. I must check it out on youtube. I saw Mick play on the Stones Ladies and Gentleman film circa 71 or so and he was amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

thesultan wrote: »
    I have the John mayall 'beano' album but I haven't heard Mick play with them. I must check it out on youtube. I saw Mick play on the Stones Ladies and Gentleman film circa 71 or so and he was amazing

Yeah, check out the "Crusade" album. I'm sure you wont be disappointed. Taylor's best contribution to the Bluesbreakers IMO is on Mayall's "Blues from Laural Canyon" album. An absolute "must have" for any Taylor fan IMO. ;)

He also played on Mayall's "Bare Wires" album.

I think Taylor's abilities as a guitarist were stifled by the Stones ( especially Richard's, in this case ) egotism. It was only when he joined Mayall that he was given the time and space to show what he was really capable of.

You might be interested in this thread of mine concerning Taylor and the Stones. Maybe your thread should read : "How much of a loss has Taylor suffered because of the Stones" ? !!!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055905504

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

Good article read it when it came out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement