Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trying to get back into SC2 - advice needed

• 15-01-2011 8:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hey guys, some of you may recognise me from the BSL. I'm not a regular Boards member and came back to Boards to play in the tournament so I could get back into SC2. Just looking for some advice really.

Up to now I'd play one game a week prob, lose and then exit the game. And that would be it for another week. So today I decided I would play 10 games, no matter how bad I was doing. I won the first two and lost the next 8. The worst thing is that I seem to be ahead usually in army size and resources and then just make very bad decisions. I have attached two replays to show this if you have time to look, I'd be grateful

Just need maybe three pointer that I can work on.

Thanks
    B

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

ok, i watched the pvt match.

you made a LOT of gateways early on, but when they were built, you didnt have enough gas early on.
    4 gateway + robo is strong and gives you plenty of units to work with.

if your not upgrading, then spend the crono boost on speeding the cooldown faster to make more.

you were sitting on huge resources for a long time. 1500 minerals + but no gas.

the reason your gas was so low was you only had 2 probes working each geyser in your main base.

he went heavy marauder army, and you went heavy blink stalker...
    doesnt add up :p

you then blink your stalkers into his tanks to take them out, but sitting right beside the tanks were 10+ marauders and marines + medivacs.

they raped your stalkers.

you probably SHOULD have made more zealots + charge upgrade.
    a collossus or 2 in there would have helped and 2 phoenix. lift the tanks off.

when you attacked his base and killed his expo he was working off 1 base and you had a seriously big army there. he only had 3 tanks. you should have gone either for the back door rocks into his base, OR got blink ASAP and sorrounded the tanks.

dont forget the tanks do serious splash damage. but if they are targetting single units, they are weak. use zealots as decoys, and the stalkers can easily take out the tanks. you had vision of the high ground with your observer so it should have easily been done.

i dont play protoss often, but that would have been what i would have done, and it would have won the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Khazidhea

Hi. I did not watch the replays, I dont play Protoss and I am probably gonna sound like an ass.

But reading the RM post gives impression that your macro is very bad. Btw 4 gate and 1 robo is as all in as a protoss can get. It is strong, but just so u know.

I suggest you focus on the basics. Watch day9, it helps a lot. Pick ONE build for each matchup and practice that. Know how to do some essential things, like how to wallin vs zerg. For the build 4 gate is VERY strong. There is a day9 daily episode on 4gating. Oh, and if you need motivation - watch day9 daily #100.

In PvT it really can just kill people, like terran really needs to scout it and put bunkers. There is a variation of a push that comes at 6 minute and is really hard to stop. qxc in his most recent replay pack practiced against mankeyz exactly this thing, u can easily steal the build from that. And qxc lost a lot of those games.

PvP people say is awful and a lot of people prefer to cheese, just to not get into lategame colosus fest. And when they say cheese they mean canon rush or 4gate. So 4gate works. In PvZ there are lots of builds, but the main theme is protoss has to apply a lot of pressure. Variations include FE and 6 gate. But 4 gate is good!

Well again, reading 1500+ minerals saved up I believe anything can be good at ur level. But THERE IS NO POINT IN PLAYING THIS GAME A BUNCH IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT ARE YOU DOING. Like you only get better if you try to improve something. And 1 game a week will not get you anywhere. 10 games a day ... well its not that many. And I dont know what do u want from this game, because I personally just love it and take it pretty seriosuly.

So pick one thing, watch other people do it, steal it. Try it. Refine it. Focus on details. Find out timings, maybe write them down. Like 6 minute attack vs terran is very good - terran that went 1-1-1 just doesnt have much stuff to defend. Watch other people again. Maybe u will get crushed and feel like your build is weak, but really until say you are in masters you can win with any build as long as you do it right.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I wouldn't go that far.... but if you want to play ANY Real-Time Strategy game online against other people....you have to take it somewhat seriously.

With COD and halo you can just hop on for an hour or two a week and have a laugh but if you play online RTS with that attitude you will get smashed over and over again and you will get frustrated.

Biggest advice I can give as an average gold player....is too just watch alot of videos. Day9 annoys the living tits off me but many people swear by him. I like Crota the best as a shoutcaster as he explains things quite well. You can search for him on youtube. I believe his youtube account is called Blizzcaster or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Khazidhea

You can totally play casually and have fun with your friends. Team games or just causaly 1v1s with fun strats, lots of observers, voice communication up.

But ladder is just designed to keep ur win-lose ration at 50%. And people in general really dont enjoy losing. So yeah it is frustrating. For me 5 games losing streak is so horrible, I lost all the motivation and I just have to take a break =)

However lately I have to chill after each game, because games are so intense xD

And yeah Crota is pretty good. I watched him back when I didnt have a beta key and I didnt know about Day[9]. There are LOTS of good casters. But most of them are very entertaining and not really insightful. Day[9] analyzes games down to the bone. And I found him funny. Plus he has really helpful newbie tuesdays. And yeah I am a fanboy =)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭brimur69

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm taking note!

• Advertisement
Advertisement