Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on ram issue

Options
  • 15-01-2011 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi There. I have 8gb of ram installed on my system

4GB-Kit GEIL Value PC3-10600 DDR3-1333 CL9 , from hardwareversand,
    4GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz CL9 NT Series Desktop dual channel memory kit from shop4memory.

Bios is showing only 4gb. Have updated the bios to latest version didn't work. Tried moving the ram stick around and got it to show 8gb in the bios but got an error on booting about 'Checksum error' So moved ram stick around again and then PC would not post give a long series of beeps. Took all the ram and just used two sticks. Posted but only showing 2gb of ram in the bios. Added the other two sticks and back where I started 4gb of ram in bios and system running no problem.

system is
    Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3
    Intel Core i5-760
    GTX460, 1024MB
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB
    XFX 650 Watt PS

Google is tellling me could be bent pins on the motherboard where the CPU sits. If this is the case going to leave well enough along. Looking for practical tips on what I could try, many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Are you putting in matched pairs according to the colours on the Ram slots?

If not, try putting one matched pair into the same colour slot, eg Blue, then check bios.
    If all's well, then try the next matched pair into the remaining White slots.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mraie

Hi Moon54, Have matched the same types of ram into the same coloured slots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Oh, that's a strange one then.

I'd check all the pins on the ram slots, and see if they are all right.

Maybe try to get it back to when it showed 8GB in the BIOS and then try boot to Safe Mode, via F8 key at boot-up, and see what it shows it has for Memory there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

You really shouldn't run two different brands of ram together as it can lead to issues :rolleyes:

Are both set rated at the same voltage and timings?
    Have you set volts,timings.speed manually in the bios?

If you have done that the only other thing i can suggest is up your Qpi/Vtt voltage a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mraie

game4it70 wrote: »
    You really shouldn't run two different brands of ram together as it can lead to issues :rolleyes:

Are both set rated at the same voltage and timings?
    Have you set volts,timings.speed manually in the bios?

If you have done that the only other thing i can suggest is up your Qpi/Vtt voltage a little.

Hi Gam4it70, will give it a go, everything was auto, will try and manually change. Have to read up on what Qpi/Vtt voltage is . many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

mraie wrote: »
    Hi Gam4it70, will give it a go, everything was auto, will try and manually change. Have to read up on what Qpi/Vtt voltage is . many thanks

Your welcome and good luck ;)

Advertisement