Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stairs revamp?

• 15-01-2011 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hey guys-hope this is in the correct place.

Anyway I am looking to revamp my stairs. At the moment its a bog standard semi-detached ugly yellow pine stairs. We have carpet on it but we also have a big dog who sleeps on the landing and now it's manky and starting to smell. So i want the carpet gone for smells and its also a pain in the arse to hoover every sencond day with the dog!

I hope to be able to take up the carpet and paint the balusters and underside of steps white and the banister and top of steps a darker wood colour. I know it'll be a pain in the arse to do but I don't mind. Can anyone recommend what I'd need to use to achieve this? I've attached two pics to show the idea im aiming for.

One thing is I have a chipboard landing-will i just be able to lay a wooden floor up there and get one of those joiner thingys?

Thanks for any info guys,
    Leah
    -DIY dreamer and nightmare

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

You do understand how noisy the stairs will be without any carpet on it don't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LeahBaby

Yeah my bf's mum has it done but there's only 2 of us in the house so its not really an issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Depending on your design . you may well be able to panel around your current design to give a better apperance. You could also consider painting your treads and risers and partaly carpeting the stairs ...artsy-rug-carpet-runner.jpg
    Replacing newel posts can turn into a bigger, but not impossible job. And cheaper now compared to the last 8 years
    And timber flooring the landing. Just an idea.

As Fingers has added , it can make for a noisy situation compared to a full carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Depends if your stairs is wood or MDF.

For wood the best look will be achieved by sanding back the stairs and then using a suitable wood dye followed by a few coats of varnish. Seeing that the stairs is a high traffic area a high quality yacht varnish should be used. A light sanding between coats to provide a good key for the following coats.
    Also for the risers, use brilliant white gloss.

If the stairs are MDF, the idea of a stair runner would look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

You need masking tape, paint brushes and rollers, satinwood and undercut, and a lot of patience. You will probably need to sand it. I did mine fairly hastily but it is a 30s build and the sides of the steps had been painted where someone had a runner previously if you know what I mean.

I could do with redoing mine. If it's a fairly new house as I suspect you won't have the blemish and such that mine has. I'll add pics.

• Advertisement
Advertisement