Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Portable Hard Drive plus media player query

• 15-01-2011 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Help! Is there such a thing as a portable hard drive with built in media player OR portable media player with say 1TB storage? Which is better? Portable being very important as its for bringing travelling. I'd like it to be all in one, again for travelling purposes. I want it to store regular files and to play movies. It should easy to hook up to any tv/laptop and play as many video file types as possible (as I understand that this can be a problem). I'm on a budget too so max €150 (ideally less!) as it would be crap if it were more expensive and got lost of damaged on my travels. I'm not too hot on this type of stuff so any recommendations/places to buy would be great!! I've used pixmania before but cant seem to find what i'm looking for this time.
    Cheers!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

A bit more than your stated budget, but might be what you're looking for: http://www.dabs.ie/products/western-digital-wd-tv--live-hub--1tb-77H8.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭JDxtra

If you are connecting it to a laptop / PC for playback then all you need is a portable hard drive to store your media. You can run a portable version of VLC media player, which should handle all media formats.

I have the above WD TV Live Hub. It's excellent when connecting to a TV, if a little pricey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Again a little pricey but 2 of my friends have bought the ASUS O'Play HD2 recently and is a great little machine for basic media player functions. Link

It works as an FTP server, Samba server (windows fileshare) and media player modes but the downside is that it can only work in one of those modes at a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭JDxtra

That will be heavier than the WD TV (as it uses a 3.5" drive) plus no drive is inluded (a 1Tb drive is in the WD TV).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I purchased this roughly 3months ago and love it - cost around €170 in Soundstore then so should be relatively cheaper now.

iomega-screenplay.JPG

12907-img3988s.jpg

You can connect it to your tv using HDMI or Scart and from the USB slots at the back you can connect a few additional hard drives if you need.

You can also connect it to your router, put it on your network and share files to it from your PC which saves you having to connect it via USB to put files on it etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

PaulieC wrote: »
    I purchased this roughly 3months ago and love it - cost around €170 in Soundstore then so should be relatively cheaper now.

iomega-screenplay.JPG

12907-img3988s.jpg

You can connect it to your tv using HDMI or Scart and from the USB slots at the back you can connect a few additional hard drives if you need.

You can also connect it to your router, put it on your network and share files to it from your PC which saves you having to connect it via USB to put files on it etc.

One thing I've always wondered about these media players is the file formats. You ever have problems with certain files not being able to play because of their format?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

I ordered this yesterday as my 3rd xbox bit the dust

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Live-Media-Player/dp/B002LZUHMI/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1295282049&sr=1-1

apparently its excellent on reading the reviews. The asus posted above does look class since it has USB 3 and possible Nas storage!

the WD live gets pretty good reviews and seems to handle all popular file formats :)

Duggy747 wrote: »
    One thing I've always wondered about these media players is the file formats. You ever have problems with certain files not being able to play because of their format?

No - there's a cheaper version of this Iomega but it didn't play certain file types such as MKV so I spent the extra few quid on this one.

It's played any file type I've put on it so far - blu ray, .avi, .mkv etc. so would highly recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 8 gillbill5

Wowww thanks for all the responses guys. Only my 2nd post and amazed with the response! JDXtra ur probably right in that maybe a harddrive for storage only is a better option for me for popping in my rucksack. I had imagined getting something around 2.5" and the media players suggested are small but just not small enough. I'm looking to get a tiny netbook to bring along mainly for WiFi and keeping in touch so I suppose those 2 can be my travel buddies. Both expenses I hadnt factored in at the start! Yikes!!:)

gillbill5 wrote: »
    Wowww thanks for all the responses guys. Only my 2nd post and amazed with the response! JDXtra ur probably right in that maybe a harddrive for storage only is a better option for me for popping in my rucksack. I had imagined getting something around 2.5" and the media players suggested are small but just not small enough.

If you're looking for a small HDD then Tesco have Iomega 500GB hard drives on sale for €70 (roughly) spotted them the last day and they're quite small - not a TB but still might suit your needs.

Plus it's powered by USB so you won't have to worry about having a power source for it when travelling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Advertisement