Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

swine flu vaccine for babies

• 15-01-2011 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

How sad a little two year old from Ireland has just died of swine flu.I have a nine month old myself and now I am getting worried she is very healthy but should she get the vaccine?I got it when I was pregnant with her but how long does that offer protection if any to her? She is in a creche also so she is in contact with lots of other children every day.Are there any other concerned parents out there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I asked about the vaccine for my little lady when I was in getting her mmr and pcv this week. I was told that they are only offering it to babies/children who have an underlying condition.

The best thing you can do is make sure that you feed your little one lots of nutritious foods and keep her nice nad healthy so as to keep her immune system boosted (probably goes without saying really!)

I'm considering getting the baby multi-vitamins just to be extra sure!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I'm a bit concerned tbh. My little guy has been sick with colds and flu since the start of November. He has a bad dose of croup at the moment as well and is on steroids. I'm worried that because his immune system is already down that he could get another worse strain of flu. The doctor told me that he's not in a high risk category though. :( just have to keep an eye on him I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ASVM

Well my little one has also been sick recently.She has had two anti biotics for a chesty cough but they didn't really work.It cleared though over Christmas when I was at home minding her but now she's back at the creche and it has returned.She coughed so much this evening that she vomited up her bottle.I started to get worried then but took her temperature and she was fine.I think finding out about multi vitamins for our little ones is a good idea.I think pro biotics might be good too.We will just have to keep an eye on them and know what the symptoms of swine flu are.I googled it tonight and now I know what to look our for.It's things like a high temperature,a rash, not drinking and becoming a bit listless.All parents should make sure they know the symptoms I suppose. It's a worry though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

You should always be on the lookout for those symptoms anyhow as they are the same symptoms of meningitis.

I keep a reminder on display at all times in the kitchen. Its good to have just in case you do get a bit over worried. You can just look at the reminder and put yourself at ease. Its great for making other people in the household aware of the symptoms too.

If you are worried, go to the doctor. You can never be too careful with babies and most doctors are very understanding of nervous mums!

You should also ask the people who run the creche if they have been vaccinated for the flu/swine flu, and also that they are aware of the symptoms and when to contact you if they notice any of the symptoms.

I don't think a GP would give a baby or an adult the vaccine if the person has any sort of infection, viral or other. I know I couldn't get the vaccine for 3 weeks as I was unwell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,449 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I got this from my doctor, I'm not a woman and I don't have kids and my sister got her 18mt old vaccinated.

Basically, don't get the jab and live through it and you'll never fall foul to the flu, get the jab and your wide open to any strain of flu that comes along.

The people with the genes that kill flu are the people who were never injected and survive the flu.

It's up to you what you do but I'm 100% in the what doesn't kill us makes us stronger category along with my GP!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ASVM

You should always be on the lookout for those symptoms anyhow as they are the same symptoms of meningitis.

I keep a reminder on display at all times in the kitchen. Its good to have just in case you do get a bit over worried. You can just look at the reminder and put yourself at ease. Its great for making other people in the household aware of the symptoms too.

If you are worried, go to the doctor. You can never be too careful with babies and most doctors are very understanding of nervous mums!

You should also ask the people who run the creche if they have been vaccinated for the flu/swine flu, and also that they are aware of the symptoms and when to contact you if they notice any of the symptoms.

I don't think a GP would give a baby or an adult the vaccine if the person has any sort of infection, viral or other. I know I couldn't get the vaccine for 3 weeks as I was unwell
    You make a very good point. I keep the meningitis check list on my fridge and a lot of the symptoms are actually the same or very similar to swine flu, I hadn't realised this.Now I will be even more aware. Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I got this from my doctor, I'm not a woman and I don't have kids and my sister got her 18mt old vaccinated.

Basically, don't get the jab and live through it and you'll never fall foul to the flu, get the jab and your wide open to any strain of flu that comes along.

The people with the genes that kill flu are the people who were never injected and survive the flu.

It's up to you what you do but I'm 100% in the what doesn't kill us makes us stronger category along with my GP!

Not much use to the parents of the dead child!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

From the research I've done the HSE have low stock and are only offering the vaccine to high risk groups and their carers but apparently you can get it done in boots for €30.
    http://www.boots.ie/news.asp?nid=135

I've never had a flu jab myself ( never had flu) but had the swine flu one last year along with my daughter as she had been very ill in hospital with suspected swine flu/ asthma /bronchiolitis and I have asthma.
    She has had no allergy/ asthma etc. symptoms since but it gives me peace of mind to know she's immune to a very dangerous strain of flu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Our gp in giving it to my 3 kids o Tuesday, they had it last year as well. 1 is diabetic other 2 had mild asthmatic cough.

Advertisement