Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

W32.Blaster.Worm - Cant remove it

• 15-01-2011 11:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

My friend got the W32.Blaster.Worm on his laptop.

I've been trying to remove it.

In normal mode it wont let me run anything. It just shuts it down straight away.

I cant do a system restore either.

In safemode I ran a trojan remover but it didn't work

I also went to this site http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2003-081119-5051-99

I downloaded fixblast and put it on a USB key .. and ran it in safe mode on the infected PC but when it finished it said that the virus was not installed. But when i turned on the PC in normal mode it was still there.

Any ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Last time we had one of them , we downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials onto a USB key and installed onto laptop .

it fixed the problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

just read this
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaster_%28computer_worm%29

so going to run hijakethis and remove the key. See if that helps.

I'll they your suggest next thanks.

I just ran this one http://www.sophos.com/support/disinfection/blastera.html

and it again came back with Zero infected files.

I'm running these in Safemode as nothing will run in normal mode. Would that be the reason it's coming back with nothing found ?

I'll try allthedoyles idea now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Last time we had one of them , we downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials onto a USB key and installed onto laptop .

it fixed the problem

I tried this.. But it says it cant run in safe mode. ...

• Advertisement

Macros42 wrote: »

trying thing now.. forgot all about the stinger tool.. been so long since i needed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Have you tried Malwarebytes at all yet? If not then reboot into 'Safe Mode with Networking' and then download, install update & scan with Malwarebytes and let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Superantispyware portable might work too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭spaceboy

Hi guys,
    I also got the W32.Blaster.Worm on my pc last night.
    I did a scan with McAfee, which detected the problem & removed it.
    However when I restarted the computer, it was still on the pc, did another scan, same results, same scenario!
    Does anyone have any other solutions? This is head wrecking.
    cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

If not then reboot into 'Safe Mode with Networking' and then download, install update & scan with Malwarebytes and let us know how you get on.

If that doesn't work then repeat the process but this time use Rkill first before the Malwarebytes scan.

• Advertisement

bhickey wrote: »
    Have you tried Malwarebytes at all yet? If not then reboot into 'Safe Mode with Networking' and then download, install update & scan with Malwarebytes and let us know how you get on.

Was away for a few days. Nothing has worked so far.

Trying this now.

I'll let you know what happends

bhickey wrote: »

This worked. Thank you

Advertisement