Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my grass destroyed???

Options
  • 15-01-2011 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

After the snow my grass is all lying flat and looks like it is now rotting in my back garden, it get a lot of wear and tear with dogs will I have to resod / reseed this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

if it's still green it will come on again, but if yellow or brown the cold has killed the roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭cram1971

Still greenish

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blackharvester

so probably is not destroyed, you have to wait another few weeks and then you will see, any way you should not seed new grass before march.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Grass is one of the most resilient plants. It's unlikely that the frost has killed it. Likely that it will come on again unless it has been recently planted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

so probably is not destroyed, you have to wait another few weeks and then you will see, any way you should not seed new grass before march.

it would be unuusual for frost to completely kill grass, most likely top growth has been burnt but sod/root is fine, anyways grass should recover with milder temps.

Also disagree that a new lawn should not be sown before March, this is a general guide but it really dependes on prevailing temp/weather conditions. As we've seen, these can vary very dramatically. If one sows in cooler temps, the germination period is longer. Obviously one avoids very wet/very cold periods, no matter what time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

aye, after seeing the state of mine last year, and how it looked by april, don't touch it, it's more than likely fine

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blackharvester

it would be unuusual for frost to completely kill grass, most likely top growth has been burnt but sod/root is fine, anyways grass should recover with milder temps.

Also disagree that a new lawn should not be sown before March, this is a general guide but it really dependes on prevailing temp/weather conditions. As we've seen, these can vary very dramatically. If one sows in cooler temps, the germination period is longer. Obviously one avoids very wet/very cold periods, no matter what time of year.

ofcourse grass can be sown before march, but in january and february temp can go belowe zero, which wont be so good for new seeds

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭wildlifeman

Mine is the same. I am going to fence off the worst areas and leave them with soil and seed for about 3 weeks in late fed early march. a biira chicken wire and schteaks is all i need.

Advertisement