Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO Question

Options
  • 15-01-2011 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have just completed my CAO application online and am wondering whether other people ticked the mature student option? I didn't as it isn't relevent for Graduate Entry Medicine, but now I'm starting to think I should have! What do you all think? Probably its just CAO paranoia setting in early, I'm so afraid I'll somehow mess up my application!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭del85

Hi Galwayllm,

I didnt tick it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

I'm with you both- didn't tick it. Although I also wondered if I should have, but as it doesn't have any relevence to our programs, I think (and hope!) it should be fine as is.

I also rang them to ask about whether they needed leaving cert results (because I'm as paranoid as the OP!) and they said no. All they want is degree transcript + parchment copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Shrugging Atlas

A follow on query from the above.

26, and applying to both Graduate and Undergraduate courses. For GEPs it makes no difference whether you tick the box or not, as its solely GAMSAT results that decide if you get in.

However, for Undergraduate entry, there seem to be two paths

1. As a regular school leaver, and going via the points system - LC + HPAT
    2. As a mature student, HPAT + supplementary information + interview (college specific)

Now, what I am unsure about is if you go by both routes if you tick the mature student box, or does that preclude you from using your LC results. If anyone can confirm this I'd greatly appreciate it

Hi shrugging Atlas,

If you're doing GAMSAT, then I assume you already have a 2.1 undergrad degree?

As far as I know, graduates with a 2.1 are only eligible to apply for Graduate Entry medical courses. The other five year courses are only available to those without such Level 8 degrees.

Edit to add:

This (relatively) recent thread seems to confirm that:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055656090

• Advertisement

Del,

Cheers for that. Still not entirely sure tho, will give the CAO a bell in the morning - chatting to one of the mature students at Trinity last week and was told there were several engineers who got in with LC + HPAT. Now maybe they didn't have the 2.1+ and therefore weren't excluded. I've a 1st myself, but I'm quite keen to start this September either way and figured even going back and doing a 5 year course would be worth it. Will post when I know for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

I'm not entirely sure on the details but I think that's because Trinity don't have a GEP so they accept graduate applicants to undergrad courses. RCSI/UCD have GEP and will only allow you to apply for the route you're qualified for.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

Thanks for replying everyone. I'm glad I'm not the only one that did it! I'm sure it'll be fine, after all it doesn't have any relevance for our applications.

Update: Rang the CAO - as far as they're aware there's no restriction to applying to a 2nd undergrad course, and by ticking the mature student option it automatically means you'll be applying both through the points system, and the mature entry HPAT + interview. Now with regards UCC & UCD having both and only considering you for one route, I'm not entirely sure.

Advertisement