Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW 3 series aftermarket DVD player

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Won't you have to relocate the heater controls and stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

Yep you can move it down to the next slot that is empty (after taking out the shelf that is there) thus leaving enough room for the screen. Linky: http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-install-combination-dvd-player-and-sat-nav-your-bmw-415703/

Seems straightforward enough but I wanted to know if anyone here had bought one andnif it's quality was good

I'd try some BMW forums as well if I were you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭kdevitt

One of the guys has it on BMW-Driver.net and is happy with it. PLenty have them in the US though.

You can relocate the heater controls to where the sunglasses storage is at the bottom - you need to buy a relocation panel from BMW to fit it properly.

Will go from this:

DSCF0128.jpg

to this:

DSCF0138.jpg

Will that work with manual heater controls as opposed to climate control?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭kdevitt

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Will that work with manual heater controls as opposed to climate control?

Yep - fits the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

What about getting one of the ones with a motorised screen that pops out when playing a DVD? They fit in the same bay as a CD player, no need to move other controls around etc.
    Here's what I'm taking about:

(Not my car, just something I found on YT)

Those motorized screens look gammy, built into dash much more impressive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Yakuza wrote: »
    What about getting one of the ones with a motorised screen that pops out when playing a DVD? They fit in the same bay as a CD player, no need to move other controls around etc.
    Here's what I'm taking about:
    (Not my car, just something I found on YT)
    unless you spend a lot of money to get a pioneer or kenwood one those motorized screens always look awful and break really easily
    I was looking at this DVD player on eBay and I wanted to see if any other boardsies had experience with this type of after market player. My car is a 04 316i and I was going to try and fit it myself so I wanted to know if anyone had experience fitting a similar model and the difficulty involved.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Link: http://cgi.ebay.ie/AES-BMW-CAR-DVD-PLAYER-GPS-NAVI-4-E46-SAT-NAV-M3-STEREO-/220720979105?pt=UK_Audio_TV_Electronics_In_Car_Entertainment_GPS_In_Car_Audio_Players_PP&hash=item3363fedca1

like most of those chinese units they run windows ce so you can actually change the navigation package to tomtom or garmin XT , the radio and TV tuners tend to be a bit shoddy but aside from that they normally work rather well, installing into your car wouldnt be a problem , as somebody said earlier jsut relocate the heater controls,

alternativley if you look on ebay for the double DIN bracket for your car and buy the likes of a kenwood DNX-5220/5240 youll be sorted , I think that unit you linked to looks factory and looks very impressive and id say go for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Im sure you could source an original from a breakers (traynors?)
    Those motorized ones look realy bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Im sure you could source an original from a breakers (traynors?)
    Those motorized ones look realy bad.

an original bmw navigation system for an e46 would set you back 1200 euro or so , you have to get the screen (bordmonitor) , wiring looms, navigation computer for the boot , cd changer for the boot , tv tuner module, navigation disk , its far cheaper to get a chinese OEM look aftermarket one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

an original bmw navigation system for an e46 would set you back 1200 euro or so , you have to get the screen (bordmonitor) , wiring looms, navigation computer for the boot , cd changer for the boot , tv tuner module, navigation disk , its far cheaper to get a chinese OEM look aftermarket one

:eek:
    Lean something new everyday......

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

like most of those chinese units they run windows ce so you can actually change the navigation package to tomtom or garmin XT , the radio and TV

Yeah this is one of the main reasons why I was going for this one, seems to be very customisable from the boot logo to the maps used. Thanks for your feedback so far.

I reckon its a good project for a Saturday. Just have to wait till next month to get paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Each to their own, I guess, as regards the motorised ones; I think they're pretty slick (and a damn sight easier to install!). If I were ever to install a DVD player in my car, it would be just for the kids, so they'd be going in the headrests only.

Advertisement