Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info needed how to dry line a solid old wall and run cables

Options
  • 15-01-2011 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

Hi I need to dryline and insulate an old stone wall and run new wiring throughout (sockets etc).

The wall has hills and hollows and bows out a bit towards the bottom.
    What are the pros and cons of doing either a new stud leaf, or just plasterboarding it with with thin battons to make up for the bow in the base.
    Due to poor positioning of the door, a new stud leaf might not be viable (then I would have to put in a really narrow door) - any ideas?

No matter what method is chosen, - insulation and a vapour barrior will be used.

Using a stud wall - it would be simple enough to run the new cables,

But.....

If I were to use just plasterboard with vapour barrier and insulation already attached - how do I run cables? - do I chase the old wall? - or do I cut a track in the insulation (therefore making a long gap in the vapour barrier)?
    Or I have heard that you can use petrol to make a track in the insulation without havint to touch the vapour barrier, -does this work? - or does it just make a mess and eat up a big wide track of the insulation?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭brendankelly

I very much disagree with dry lining old stone buildings because dry lining stops the wall from breathing. If you Google Breaking the mould by Joseph Little you will understand more. There are other methods you should conceder.

Otherwise. First forget about the petrol. Will the cables not fit with the thin batons???. Chasing stone will need a consaw and a lot of work and you have to be careful not to dislodge them. Never an easy task chasing stone walls. Still Otherwise. Metal stud is sometimes a better option than timber studs.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭DiarmaidGNR

I know what you mean about letting the wall breath (using just white wash and lime plaster (?).
    But I don't think doing that will be an option.

Are metal studs expensive? And would using a stud leaf be better for letting the wall breath?

Advertisement