Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking advice regarding Satellite Dish + HD Receiver Combination

Options
  • 16-01-2011 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

I am going to go for a good FreeSat HD Satellite System. I would like to watch free channels on EUROBIRD1 + ASTRA 2A/2B/2C/2D (both 28°E) & HOTBIRD 1, 2, 3, 6, 7A, 8 and 9 (13.0°E).

I have in mind the Technomate TM5402HD receiver - €179.00 (http://www.satellitetv.ie/shop/index.php?controller=product&path=76&product_id=321)

Is there any other better HD receiver around the same price? How many and which type LNB's would I need to get channels from the 2 directions 28°E and 13.0°E.

I would like to connect the audio out to an AV Receiver and also I might need to connect the dish to other rooms in future. So which is the best way to go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Dish / LNB setup
    http://www.techtir.ie/tv-radio/satellite-distribution

Add Diseqc (two for PVR) or Multiswitch

Definitely 17 in 16 out multiswitch for Multiroom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭net4hack

Sorry, I couldnt understand most of the things as i am entirely new to this satellite stuff.

1. Do I need separate LNB's for each satellite? If not what would I require for receiving signals from EUROBIRD1 + ASTRA's + HOTBIRD's mentioned above Dual band / quadband/something else?
    2. Which one is better - Technomate TM5402HD (http://www.technomate.com/viewproduct2.php?product=81) or the Freesat official receiver Technisat HDFS Freesat HD Receiver(http://www.technisat.com/index9132.html?nav=Sat_DVB_S_,en,64-15041)

Appreciate any help.

1) Different Satellites need separate LNBs, unless they are part of a Constellation (Eurobird 1, Astra 2A, Astra2B, Astra2C are all one "constellation" that can use one LNB).

2) Freesat HD receivers are best for Freesat only (28.2 / 28.5). Some have Diseqc and thus can have other satellites, but usually awkward. Non-Freesat receivers (HD recommended) usually can do multiple satellites via Diseqc, but usually don't have proper Freesat EPG, auto Tuning or Interactive (important for things like Wimbleton) or any of the nice easy to useness of Freesat / Sky boxes. A third category of receiver are ones that support non-Sky PayTV subscrptions.

Which to buy?
    It depends what you mostly intend to watch. If you want mostly UK Freesat, but some other channels on other satellites a "Freesat HD" like Sagecom is probably useless as it has no Diseqc switching. "Freesat HD" boxes with Diseqc let you add other satellite channels manually, but you may need up to 4 button presses to access menu to view them.

Technisat Satellite HD Digital Receiver with Freesat
    In addition to freesat mode, the HDFS has a TechniSat mode which offers the extended features and functions expected of a TechniSat receiver, such as multi-satellite reception using DiSEqC and motor control. USB playback, no recording.
    Since it's Freesat, it has MHEG5, and has Diseqc so ought to work on Saorsat 9E after May (RTE NL Interactive) as well as Freesat.

Technisat TM-5402 HD Super Ci+
    » Hi Definition 1080p Receiver can record 3 channels and watch one from same TP with optional external hard disk * Dvx player with LAN *components out*RF modulator*RGB Loop*twin scart*FAN control*10000 Channels*

The VU+ Duo many be better non-Freesat Option and the Humax Foxsat better Freesat HD.

The pre-HD Technisat was very highly regarded. Some say they have "lost the plot" a bit on the HD models.

No MHEG5, so no BBC Interactive on 28.2E or RTE NL Interactive on 9E.

Thanks watty.

Just one more doubt to clear. If I go for a non freesat option, what would happen after the digital switchover in 2012. Would it affect only UK ? Would I still be able to watch free channels on the above sats?

Do any one know whether any other FreeSat HD receiver other than the "Technisat HDFS HD Receiver" receiver supports DiSEqC switching. I finished my Sat System with the above receiver but it keeps freezing when changing channels. Amazon UK told me to refund or replace this one. Might be a hardware fault. But if the replacement also fails I need to find something else other than Technisat HDFS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

net4hack wrote: »
    Do any one know whether any other FreeSat HD receiver other than the "Technisat HDFS HD Receiver" receiver supports DiSEqC switching. I finished my Sat System with the above receiver but it keeps freezing when changing channels. Amazon UK told me to refund or replace this one. Might be a hardware fault. But if the replacement also fails I need to find something else other than Technisat HDFS.

You haven't checked how old the firmware is on your HDFS? I remember reading that some of the firmware updates solved lots of issues with the receiver.
    http://www.technisat.com/indexdd41.html?nav=Downloads,en,33&pID=15041

Your other option is the Humax Foxsat. Info here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70110161&postcount=2

Thanks Apogee,
    The current software version on the receiver is a 2009 one. Even though Amazon already dispatched a replacement Technisat receiver, I would try to update this one and see how it goes.

I updated the Technisat HDFS with the latest software available. TechniSat Digital: Downloads)

Now all the channel list that was available ie. the preconfigured ones are gone ( .
    P1080897.jpg

When I manually searched for channels it doesnt find a transponder.
    P1080894.jpg
    P1080901.jpg

In the TechniSat mode 9E is ok, but in 13E it is stuck at 49% and the same channels are added continuously in a loop with out any end. Only way is to abort. Also even if I searched for free unencrypted channels, encrypted channels are also getting through and when that channel is selected the encryption algorithm detals etc are shown.

Also is it relevant to which DiSEqC position a satellite is to be connected? When I selected position A/B it is showing signal strength of 76 and when i selected B/B it is showing a signal strength of 46 for Astra 28.2E. So do i have to keep B/A for Astra 28.1E? Does it matter?

P1080898.jpg

From what I've read, the Technisat can be a little choosey about the type of switch it will work with. Can you try by-passing the Diseqc switch and scanning in 13E directly to see if it still starts looping? Does it always get stuck on the same transponder?

Also is it relevant to which DiSEqC position a satellite is to be connected? When I selected position A/B it is showing signal strength of 76 and when i selected B/B it is showing a signal strength of 46 for Astra 28.2E. So do i have to keep B/A for Astra 28.1E? Does it matter?

Well, AA is always 1st port
    B/A and A/B are confusing because not everyone seems to list in same order. So I scan a known transponder to see which way round. BB is always 4th port

It only matters on a Multiswitch that has non-Diseqc receivers which ports are used. But what ever it is physically, thats what you need to set in SW.

I have (digit is port number on Switch)
    1= Astra2/Eurobird1 @ 28.2 = Always AA
    2= Astra1 @19E = B/A on some SW and A/B on others!!!!
    3= Hotbirds @13E = A/B on some SW and B/A on others! i.e. opposite to what ever works for port 2!
    4= 9E Ku for test. = Always BB

If using a Multiswitch in France you might have 5W or 19E as port1 so boxes with no diseqc work. In Ireland or UK, 28.2E would be connected to port 1 so Digiboxes work.

With Diseqc Switch OR Multiswitch, the default power on is always AA (= port 1) until you send a Diseqc command.

• Advertisement

In FreeSat mode of the HDFS receiver I could only get ASTRA and on TechniSat mode i could connect to 4 satellites including ASTRA.

I tried connecting Astra 2 (Instead of 28.2E it is now showing 28.5E. Is it bec I gave a Derry post code when I setup the receiver?) to A/A and it doesnt detect any channels. But if I connect it to B/B it would detect channels! So ASTRA 28.5E is connected to B/B at the moment, bec that is the only way i could get signals.

I use two DiSEqC switches, one is an Octagon on it says that it is 4x1 DiSEqC 2.0, but on the other one brought by the guy who helped me to install the dish doesnt say any thing like 1.1 /1.2/2.0. On it says a "GOLD Edition DSG 4/1 OUT". There are two cables coming in to the room which show the same signal strength but no way to distinguish whether it is from the octagon DiSEqC switch or the GOLD Edition DiSEqC switch? Do I need to replace this one with another switch

In FreeSat mode of the HDFS receiver I could only get ASTRA and on TechniSat mode i could connect to 4 satellites including ASTRA.

In Freesat mode on all Freesat receivers, you can only receive Astra 28E.
    I tried connecting Astra 2 (Instead of 28.2E it is now showing 28.5E. Is it bec I gave a Derry post code when I setup the receiver?)

The postcode only affects Freesat mode. It's probably because you updated the firmware.
    to A/A and it doesnt detect any channels. But if I connect it to B/B it would detect channels! So ASTRA 28.5E is connected to B/B at the moment, bec that is the only way i could get signals.

I use two DiSEqC switches, one is an Octagon on it says that it is 4x1 DiSEqC 2.0, but on the other one brought by the guy who helped me to install the dish doesnt say any thing like 1.1 /1.2/2.0. On it says a "GOLD Edition DSG 4/1 OUT". There are two cables coming in to the room which show the same signal strength but no way to distinguish whether it is from the octagon DiSEqC switch or the GOLD Edition DiSEqC switch? Do I need to replace this one with another switch

This is a recipe for confusion. Firstly, why are you using 2 switches? Secondly, you can identify which switch is connected to which cable by simply disconnecting one of the Diseqc switches and identifying the incoming cable which shows no signal whatsoever.

Apogee wrote: »
    This is a recipe for confusion. Firstly, why are you using 2 switches? Secondly, you can identify which switch is connected to which cable by simply disconnecting one of the Diseqc switches and identifying the incoming cable which shows no signal whatsoever.

I need to view TV in 2 rooms. So that is why I used 2 DiSEqC switches.

There are 2 cables coming out from each of the 4 LNB's (so total 8 cables). 4 goes in to each DiSEqC switch. And from the each DiSEqC switch one cable comes in to the house (ie only 2 cables comes in to the house - one each from the R port of each of the DiSEqC switches.

But the switches are close to the dish on the top and I need to go up roof and physically disconnect the cable from the switch, if I need to identify which DiSEqC switch as you told.

While you're on the roof(!), you should write down which LNB is connected to which port on each switch. Ideally, you should have them connected in the same way on both switches eg 28E on port 1, 19e on port 2 etc.

yes, for Freesat DVR
    Port 1 MUST be 28.2 / 28.5 Astra2/Eurobird1. Ports 2, 3 and 4 don't work in Freesat mode, only in non-Freesat. Any non-freesat channels on 28.2 / 28.5 Astra2/Eurobird1 must be explictly marked Port 1 AA though, probably Sky News.

All LNBs must use same port # on both switches for PVR in non-Freesat mode.
    Note you may have to swap LNB on port 2 and port 3 on ONE Diseqc switch as port 2 & 3 numbering is not always correct.
    Port 1 is always AA and power on/no Diseqc commands
    Port 4 is always BB

watty,
    For some reason Astra 28.2 / 28.5 only work in B/B ie port 4 position, both in FreeSat and in TechniSat mode. In FreeSat mode the 3 options I could see for all the switches are "No Satellite", "Motor Antenna" and "Astra 28.5". If I select Astra fo the A/A position it doesnt find any transponder / channels. But if I manually change it to B/B position it finds Transponder and channels. So for the first three positions it is "No Satellite" option that is selected.

Why this is happening? Could it be because of wrong LNB to Diseqc connection?

Why this is happening? Could it be because of wrong LNB to Diseqc connection?

Is the output from 28E LNB physically connected to port 4 of the Diseqc switch or not?

Advertisement