Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Automotive rig setup

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Paddy@CIRL is your man, if he can't do it nobody can :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

I would imagine he has spent a LOT more on his one than I plan on spending on mine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

I had a go one a home made one Brndn made last year. Pretty simple enough - the main things were strong suction points and a lightweight pole. The hard work is in the editing afterwards

Behind scenes
    3707523256_97b71e3460.jpg

Before
    3746447747_7550ee3315.jpg

After
    3707516176_114b0992d6.jpg

Re-edit
    3746447399_17c516368c.jpg

Paddy@CIRL has an awesome set-up! Hopefully he'll be along soon with some tips

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

@ Longshanks

Since you changed the background anyway could you not have just taken a picture of the cars when they weren't moving and added the blur on the wheels after ?

@ Longshanks

Since you changed the background anyway could you not have just taken a picture of the cars when they weren't moving and added the blur on the wheels after ?

Maybe....but where would the fun be in that?
    You've get a decent version - but it wouldn't be as good/genuine. The last one was re-edited just for fun a few weeks after the original shot was taken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

@ Longshanks

That's the fake/crap way of doing it tbh - it's kind of frowned upon in terms of automotive photography... also it never looks the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

Ooooh! Id also be interested in any info i can get on this. Similarly mounting a camera outside a car a la http://www.b-hague.co.uk/camera_suction_pads_vacuum_mounts.htm

But was looking to build myself one for car and one for train. Would anyone have advice on suction cups to use, availability in Ireland and what to look out for. Do suction cups have some kind of suction rating?

suction rating.... I think they do (in terms of weight). Too weak & your camera might fall to ground. Too strong & you might damage the paint work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

@ Longshanks

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Heavy duty magnetic bases for mobile antennae that are used by radio hobbyists are availabe in Ireland.
    Maybe they could be modified for this use
    http://www.longcom.ie/product.aspx?id=191

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

They could possibly be used, but I would prefer to use suction cups rather than a magnet when attatching it to someones pride and joy. A lot of car owners are extremely fussy about paintwork and I'd say a suction cup would be less likely to cause any damage to the paint.

Although it would limit the angel of shot you can get, there's nothing stopping you from using really strong suction cups onto (clean) glass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    They could possibly be used, but I would prefer to use suction cups rather than a magnet when attatching it to someones pride and joy. A lot of car owners are extremely fussy about paintwork and I'd say a suction cup would be less likely to cause any damage to the paint.

I usually use felt pads under the magnets, no damage then, but I understand you.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Adz247

Just a quick question, Where is the best place to get a boom/pipe...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

if your looking for a lightweight boom/pole try windsurfing booms, carbon fiber and very light. Get tons on adverts etc.

Advertisement