Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice for returning photographer.

• 16-01-2011 1:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hey guys,
    I was wondering if I could get some advice regarding the purchase of a D-SLR.

A little background first. I studied photography at college over 10 years ago and never pursued it once I finished.

Fast forward 10 years and here I am, trying to get back into it.
    The problem is, when I studied photography in was all done with film/darkrooms and chemicals.

My oh my how the landscape has changed !!

So now I'm back to square one & a total beginner with this 'digital' thing. pacman.gif

I need a recommandation on the best DSLR for me.
    I was looking at the Nikon D3100 for 599, but I hear this is only an entry level SLR.

I was thinking I could pick the D3100 up and just use better glass with it.
    My concern is I might 'out grow' it pretty fast + I'm told that files/image quality might not be up to par if the end goal is professional shooting.
    Again, I'm pretty new to the digital revolution in photography so stop me I'm not making sense.

Just.. back in my 'time', body wasn't that important as long as you were shooting with good glass.

So, should I go with the D3100 (with a decent lens) and re-learn on it for the next few months or is it worth spending the extra cash now on a superior body?
    (Willing to spend between 600 - 800) - Keep in mind I'll also need to buy software for 'post work'.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

I think that "body second glass first" still stands true, there are loads of second hand bodies out there at the moment and you will be able to pick up a really good one for the same price as an entry level new. Once you have decided what "camp" to subscribe to, ie Nikon, Canon, Sony, Olympus, Pentax etc etc.

The most important thing are lenses, decide what kind of photography you want to get into, landscape, portrait etc and buy the lenses accordingly, buy the best you can afford and you will have them for a lifetime. Buy cheap and you will be looking to replace them in a few months.

Good luck in your search :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

the good thing is you learned it in the past..... so post processing should be easier for you to get to grips with (ie dodging and burning)

as regards camera gear.... I'd say better off to check your budget and ask what does your budget allow for now ...... if you can afford good glass ...get some, if you can afford a pro/semi-pro body ...get one.

theres loads of bargains to be had if you keep your eyes peeled - plenty of second hand stuff going up for sale every now and again.

Lenses tend to hold their value or close to it .... but cameras drop in price fast ...remember this when shopping around.

Once you do purchase its essentially about getting out there and shooting....the other poster has already asked but ... what area of photography are you looking at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Have a look here for good secondhand equipment
    http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/photography/196

Advertisement