Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who had burst pipes over the xmas

Options
  • 16-01-2011 1:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

i was so unlucky had 2 in the attic which flooded the place then 3 days later 2 rad pipes burst in the bed rooms so i had double trouble

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭SinewaveSurfer

ya burst pipes here.
    lucky enough to spot them before they did damage. had to replace loads of pipe as every time we'd fix a leak it would start pissing from somewhere else.

was VERY lucky some of my prized irreplaceable possessions weren't damaged as they were merely a foot or two away from the leaks

one part of the house is still without water as the burst pipe is in between the ceiling and it's going to mean a bit of gutting.

but still I think we got off lightly compared to others. I've heard of whole houses being written off...

• Registered Users Posts: 45 seanot123

i did :( was away for two days,got back as pipes were thawing and the place was flooded. kitchen ceiling came down and water was pouring from all other ceilings. lucky i got back when i did or all other ceilings would probably have come down. as my house stands now, the floors are all taken up: my hall, sitting room, stairs, landing and my bedroom. house smells danky even with humidifiers in for the past 2weeks. its happening everywhere. it has happened in friends houses where they were sleeping in there beds and woke up to water pouring on them so i assume having heat on or not made no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Two neighbours' houses destroyed here while they were away. Pipes burst in both on Christmas Day. We were keyholders for one so the alarm company called us when they detected movement - that was the sitting room ceiling collapsing. Fortunately the damage was restricted to that room and the ones above it. The other neighbours weren't so lucky, they came back on the 27th to find the entire house flooded, several inches, every room, upstairs and downstairs, ceilings gone, walls and floors wrecked, everything. They can't move back in for another few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DOTHEDOG

wow an i thought i was bad

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just one in the attic, burst Christmas Day.
    Have a builder neighbour so he fixed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

I didn't have a burst pipe this year, but I've had one in the past. Block up sink holes, bath holes and toilets before putting the dehumidifiers on. Empty them at least once a day while the house is drying out.

Even with one burst pipe with minimal water seepage through ceilings and the damage caught in good time, one could need a minimum of four dehumidifiers to dry out the house as well as a serious amount of heating on 24 hours a day for two weeks.

I know of two relatively new semi-detached houses, wooden framed on the inside, concrete blocks on the outside. One occupied last January, the other not (tenants were away). Tenants' house flooded due to burst pipe. Neighbours found out about it when the water started seeping in next door.

8 months later the builders were still trying to put some semblance of order on both houses. They had to be completely gutted on the inside and rebuilt.

I wouldn't fancy living in either of them.The ground floors weren't made of concrete - they were wood and that wood was then either tiled over or had laminate wooden flooring over it. Don't know if that level of damage to a wooden-framed house can ever fully be repaired.

I'd write them off much like one writes-off certain crashed cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I lucked out completely my tank ran dry and the system got air locked but it ws easily fixed. The plumber that fixed it said he came from a house with 22 leaks the house was destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Tenants were away. I only found out very late. Dashed to the house found water flooding into one one bedroom, the other already soaked. Water about to run into the kitchen.

The plumber found fifteen separate breaks in the water pipes. He told horror stories of celings collapsed, floors ruined in other houses he was called to.

It was a very lucky escape.

Advertisement