Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bird box

• 16-01-2011 1:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭

Hi all!

Is there any tips on how to construct a bird box? Just something simple for small songbirds. I have plenty of wood at home and my da's tools.

Its something I've been thinking about for a while but am not too sure how to start.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Hi all!

Is there any tips on how to construct a bird box? Just something simple for small songbirds. I have plenty of wood at home and my da's tools.

Its something I've been thinking about for a while but am not too sure how to start.

Hey ..

tis a great way to spend some evening.

I knocked up one in a short time with just a few old off cuts of ply.

I dont expect it to last long as it is only plywood. but will last a year or 2. Sure its not like its a house.
    birdu.jpg

In hindsight , it needs some sort of removable bottom or hole to get rid of waste food.

it needs to be small or big birds like crows will eat everything in a few mins

needs fence paint or it wont last the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Yea, I used to make ornate bird houses. Loved the hobby.
    Here's a couple of mine still in place up in Donegal

attachment.php?attachmentid=143571&stc=1&d=1295143693attachment.php?attachmentid=143572&stc=1&d=1295143699

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

thats fantastic ..

Would be a nice pass time to take up and the sky is the limit with design.

Have you any more pics dnme. I might copy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

gsxr1 wrote: »
    thats fantastic ..

Would be a nice pass time to take up and the sky is the limit with design.

Have you any more pics dnme. I might copy

Don't think so, I used to make a few different models.
    Castles
    Lighthouses (pictured)
    Dutch Barn
    Windmill
    etc

Used to go way over the top with biscuit joints, all dowled joints etc. Came from years of watching Norm Abram on New Yankee Workshop (woodworking show)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭charlesanto

• Advertisement
Advertisement