Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

13 year old boy sacrifices his life to save his brothers.

Options
  • 16-01-2011 2:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭

Hey I don't know if this has been posted here yet but if it has feel free to lock it.
    Amidst intense flooding in Australia, a 13-year-old boy sacrifices his life to save his little brother. Jordan Rice was trapped inside a car with his mother and his brother, Blake.
    As emergency crews raced to reach them, Jordan insisted they save his brother first and lifted him into the arms of a rescuer.
    A sudden torrent flipped the car and swept Jordan and his mother downstream. Neither survived.
    At least 60 Australians are missing and the death toll is expected to rise.
    Approximately 30,000 homes and businesses are swamped in Brisbane and thousands are crowding evacuation centers.

http://www.kmov.com/news/world/In-Australian-flooding-13-year-old-boy-sacrifices-life-to-save-little-brother--113539049.html

sad stuff, but heroic action from the poor boy. Rest in peace.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Thread goes like this;

Very sad
    RIP
    Terrible story
    Cruel dickhead thankswhoring remark
    Outrage at this^
    More outrage
    hurrumph...
    angry mob gathers....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 LouieWalsh

Thee poor car will prob blame itself forever now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I was only reading about that myself earlier. So sad. And such a brave thing to do.
    RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

LouieWalsh wrote: »
    Thee poor car will prob blame itself forever now.
    This is the wannabe cruel d1ckhead thankswhoring remark.

fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Without trying to sound like a thanks whore, what annoys me about the story is that it's always about the 13yo (story has been around for about 4 days). The mother tried to let both her sons survive first and barely gets mentioned in all reports I've seen.

The guy should be remembered because he put someones life before his own but his mother put both her sons lives before hers and should also be remembered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

matrim wrote: »
    Without trying to sound like a thanks whore, what annoys me about the story is that it's always about the 13yo (story has been around for about 4 days). The mother tried to let both her sons survive first and barely gets mentioned in all reports I've seen.

The guy should be remembered because he put someones life before his own but his mother put both her sons lives before hers and should also be remembered

Good point, but I dunno, maybe its more unusual for a 13 year old boy to sacrafice his life then it is for a mother:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

matrim wrote: »

That is only because it is much more common for any parent to put their childrens life ahead of their own. Has been like that since the dawn of time, and while it is always tragic, most people think they would do the same if they have children.
    Doing it for his little brother shows the 13 year old was a very brave little man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Cruel dickhead thankswhoring remark

I expect them to come flooding in, alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

stovelid wrote: »
    I expect them to come flooding in, alright.
    Second pun in all my time on boards that made me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭carwash106

The boy is a Legend ( as in Irish slang, NOT a myth or a made up story)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

From what I read, not only could the boy not swim, but he had a phobia about water....it terrified him. Which I think makes it even worse.

And then to think of the younger boy. He has to grow up knowing he lived and his brother/mum didn't because they saved him. That'll be hell for such a young mind to cope with.

RIP

(Note to Mods. Can you update the charter to ban smart remarks/nasty comments in 'Condolences' type threads? They really are inappropriate.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I thought it already was banned?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Actually kind of amazing a kid of only 13 had that kind of bravery.
    RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

(Note to Mods. Can you update the charter to ban smart remarks/nasty comments in 'Condolences' type threads? They really are inappropriate.)

It is, its called trolling or flame baiting. Just report the post.

I'd argue they should ban some of 'Condolences' threads. This is a discussion site, not a facebook page to post RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

It is, its called trolling or flame baiting. Just report the post.

I'd argue they should ban some of 'Condolences' threads. This is a discussion site, not a facebook page to post RIP.
    I'm not allowed make any thread but I'd like to make one in relation to this.
    If you don't laugh about these things you'd cry is what my attitude usually is but I think it's just too bad to joke about.
    I'm such a woman...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

It's stories like these that make you wonder why a global ban on women driver's has never been introduced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

This post has been deleted.
    Give me semi-legible uncensored discussion over indulgent one-sided condolence threads in which the basic rules of English are cheerfully disregarded, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

ebixa82 wrote: »
    It's stories like these that make you wonder why a global ban on women driver's has never been introduced.
    Take your sexism and leave this place.

Advertisement