Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to study.

• 16-01-2011 2:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Could people post how they study so I can try new techniques?
    Nothing seems to 'stick'. :(

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

Pick up your textbook, read the chapter, write notes, answer the questons they give at the end of the textbook, and then go to the exam papers. Theres no easy answer, you can make as many threads on this as you want, at the end of the day, it's hard work that'll pay off, keep reading writing and doing questions. Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Meller

i try to read things before doing questions, but in all honesty, i tend to get bored after five minutes of reading and just end up doing questions while referring back to whatever source to find answers.

the only thing that 'sticks' for me is writing, and i don't really see how that wouldn't stick, as you have to think about something to write it in the first place.

i recommend you put a lot of effort into answering exam paper questions, i.e don't rush through it just to get the answers down. spend as much time as you can perfecting it and reconsidering whether your answer is the best that it can be, read over it, do research (from the internet, more than one book, etc). 'over'-answer questions, if you like; for a question that requires a line in an actual exam, elaborate as much as you can (while ensuring it's still relevant, obviously). make sure that for whatever you're learning, you're trying to solve something and that you have an aim (i.e, to answer the question) - it's easier to learn when you're working to answer something as it requires you to actually use your head (which should automatically stick firmer than mindless 'learning off').

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Well this is what I do...

Routine is a biggg deal (for me, at least). Try starting at the same time every day.

Make out a plan by writing out all the chapters you want to do for each subject, then spread it out over the time period in which you want to get through it.

Doing the actual study is a bit different from subject to subject..
    If it's a subject with a lot of little chunks of information, like Biology, I read the chapter and then take notes (so you're reading it twice, and writing the stuff down helps more still). Then I try to test myself (Not necessarily in a big way, just running over it in my mind without looking) to make sure I wasn't just mindlessly going through it.

For a subject like Irish I find vocabulary is really, really helpful. So if you can go through, say, 20 or 30 words in a go that's good... Try writing them all out with the Irish word on the left of the page and the translation on the right. Read them once or twice. Then go through the Irish words to see if you can translate them all into English. If you can't, just repeat the difficult words and their meanings to yourself a couple of times. Then go through the English words to see if you can translate them all into Irish. Repeat them to yourself if you have trouble with any. Then write out the list of English words on another sheet and test yourself. That should do the trick! It might sound tedious, but it's not so bad really!

Time limits keep you (me) focused like nothing else!

Hopefully that helps :)

Oh, and Maths or maybe Accounting or Applied Maths is just a matter of doing many, many questions! If you're having trouble with any topics, do the example questions from your textbook/notes and then compare your method with the given solution until you know exactly what's going on and you're like 'WOO! I can do it!' and everyone's happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

What I do is read take out the textbook of the subject I'm studying and make notes from the chapter all the important things that I need to know. Then after read over the notes and try to memorize them by reading them over in my head repeating it until I get right. That helps sometimes it doesn't stick when I just read it. Look over past papers marking schemes and do the exam papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

apkbarry wrote: »
    Could people post how they study so I can try new techniques?
    Nothing seems to 'stick'. :(
    What I ussualy find is that writing is the only thing that I can get to stick in my head. What I do is start at 5.10 Monday-Thursday. I pick in advanced what subjects i'm going to study that week (I decide on a Sunday) then I go through a particular topic in each study session. After I write notes I keep repeating them until I can sing them off in my head. Also stopping and asking yourself the question orally helps a lot. Test yourself by writing down all your definitions or whatever you need. Then exam papers. :D Consistency is key in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

After I write notes I keep repeating them until I can sing them off in my head. Also stopping and asking yourself the question orally helps a lot.

Ya I do this too. I go over and over definitions in my head until I can rattle them off.

Advertisement