Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kids Self defence

• 16-01-2011 2:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all,

Was thinking of sending my daughter to self defence classes.I would like to get her into a class that wil give her the foundation.She is 6 yrs old and the only styles around is Kickboxing/Karate and Aikido.I no it all depends on the instructor also but i would jus like to no wat ur views are on the thread

Thanks

Alan C.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Honestly, at that age I don't think the style really matters. The main thing they're going to be learning is how to pay attention and take instruction, combined with some gross motor skills like how to do tumbles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭cletus

+1 for Doug Cartel's post

You also want to make sure its fun and she enjoys it. Don't get too hung up on your daughter learning "self-defence" and look at it in the same light as her playing soccer or doing ballet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Doug and Cletus have pretty much nailed it here. I've two girls, 7 & 11, who've both been doing Karate now for a little over a year and love it. So much so that they've been up every morning at 6:30 last week to get to cold training, on what was their first week back after the hols. I think using the term 'self defence' for younger kids isn't great. Getting some exercise which is fun and involves a little bit of safe rough and tumble certainly helps build self confidence. My guess is that this in turn leaves that kids less prone to being victims of bullying. The Karate kid scenario where the smaller kid duffs up three big bullies with a selection of flying and spinning kicks is pure fantasy. Not that fantasy's a bad thing, my two are regularly attacking me with the bizzarest selection of moves which is great gas, just nothing to do with self defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

smacl wrote: »
    The Karate kid scenario where the smaller kid duffs up three big bullies with a selection of flying and spinning kicks is pure fantasy.

+1

Op, I'll agree with previous posters. If your daughter enjoys the class and the instructor is professional about his job then any type of MA is good for her. Generally I think 6 is too young for MA training, but it really depends on your daughter's temperament. Most 6-year old kids I know who took up a MA dropped it within a year, because it just didn't entertain them.

In fact if self-defence is your aim, then any sport or physical activity that your daughter engages in is helpful. As a previous poster said, it's more about the self-confidence kids get from a physical activity than the kung fu moves they learn. As they get older, training in a MA becomes more meaningful and practical for them, and is more beneficial for self-defence.

Be at peace,

Z

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Ninja man wrote: »
    Hi all,

Was thinking of sending my daughter to self defence classes.I would like to get her into a class that wil give her the foundation.She is 6 yrs old and the only styles around is Kickboxing/Karate and Aikido.I no it all depends on the instructor also but i would jus like to no wat ur views are on the thread

Thanks

Alan C.

Agree with the lads on this, get her into a child friendly club that promotes sport as opposed to drilling pattern or kata techniques in lines. Ladder drills, tumbles, jumps, coordination drills and stretching is where she wants to be at. At 6 years of age she needs to be developing her ABC's which is agility, balance and coordination. These will help motor development as well.

What area are you in?

• Advertisement
Advertisement