Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones Theatre?

Options
  • 16-01-2011 8:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

Does anyone know whether Greystones Theatre is still open?

The web site (http://www.greystonestheatre.com) is terribly out-of-date, with Events Coming Up and Tickets Now On Sale from events in February 2010! Also, the facebook site (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Greystones-Theatre/13614204263) has had no activity since June, 2010.

Is this another casualty of the recession? Or is it simply that the folks running it are just not that well organized?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ryecatcher

Yes, the theatre is still open. The webpage has some old info but also Eddi Reader, playing in Feb. Check out the current Facebook page - GT Greystones - am always getting invites to gigs and events.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

ryecatcher wrote: »
    Yes, the theatre is still open. The webpage has some old info but also Eddi Reader, playing in Feb. Check out the current Facebook page - GT Greystones - am always getting invites to gigs and events.

Looking at the facebook page now... Don't see anything for 2011.

The last four posts are...

James McLoughlin: Will jack l gig be affected by the weather?
    21 December 2010 at 12:44

Mark Corcoran: Hi, is there anything on there this weekend?
    30 November 2010 at 16:33

DirtyEpics Rock: Looking forward to playing for ya'll this Saturday night! it's SJ's Birthday so we're planning a BIG NIGHT OUT!
    03 November 2010 at 16:46

Mark Conroy: Hi Alan how are you? I was wondering if you could let me know if there any chance of doing that recording,let me know when u get a chance and just let me know if its possible or not!!Thanks amil talk to u soon!!
    18 October 2010 at 22:51

The last Greystones Theater created event was last Summer:

Greystones Theatre created an event.
    Four great summer courses for teenagers
    Monday, 05 July 2010 at 10:00
    Greystones Theatre and Studios
    23 June 2010 at 13:44 ·

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

the facebook profile is Greystones studios - I'm always getting invites

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    the facebook profile is Greystones studios - I'm always getting invites

Thanks Jonnymcg, I tried to find a facebook page for Greystones Studios, and only got to "Love To Pole Ireland":
    http://www.facebook.com/lovetopoleireland

I found the web page for Greystones Studios:
    http://www.greystonesstudios.com/
    but it also is way out-of-date with no upcoming events listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ryecatcher

Hi - they've changed it to GT Greystones on FB page - they really should link it. Try this: http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100000771590042
    and request to be a friend, then you'll get invites.

• Advertisement

On facebook they have profiles for GT Theatre and Greystonesstudios

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

ryecatcher wrote: »
    Hi - they've changed it to GT Greystones on FB page - they really should link it. Try this: http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100000771590042
    and request to be a friend, then you'll get invites.

Many thanks for that! Strange that it's set up as a personal page that you have to "friend", rather than a group page that one can "like".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Its not a casualty of the now ceased recession.

Its more a casualty of woeful planning and bad design.
    I can't see it being open for much as it has no bar.

There were recent events of sorts organised there (pay in, free drink) but I can't see them continuing in light of a violent event following their NYE party.
    Could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

d'Oracle wrote: »
    There were recent events of sorts organised there (pay in, free drink) but I can't see them continuing in light of a violent event following their NYE party.
    Could be wrong though.

What happened?

What happened?

Did you see the Bray People on the first week of this year?
    The story about the man who was stabbed?

That happened.
    Apparently following on from an incident in the theatre.

And yes I am being a bit alarmist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Have been to it a couple of times and won't be going again...
    Some very young people there.

And waaay too much drink taken in the majority of cases.
    Very messy behaviour and no security really to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Have to agree with dubsgirl. They do get in some great artists, plays etc but there does tend to be alot of younger people who drink wayy too much and no sercuity to be seen. We went to Godisanastronaut last year and there was a guy sitting behind us who puked on the seat, got up and walked off.... told the people on the door but no one showed up to clean it up:(

I love the idea of what they are doing, but I don't know how the bring your drink could be managed with limits on what you can take in or something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Shoelaces

My understanding of the situation is that on New Years the two people who were attacked were in the theatre and were set upon by people who had been out elsewhere. The incident happened on the main street also and not in the theatre complex. Akin to somebody going for a pint in the Burnaby and then getting into a fight in the park by the Burnaby. Its an isolated incident that doesnt deserve the scaremongering associated with it. Unfortunate incidents like this have happened outside every single late bar on the Bray seafront but it wouldnt stop me from heading out there. People also get sick in bars all the time, it doesnt faze me just something that you have to put up with. Its your responsibility to look after yourself, not rely on other people to babysit you.

Shoelaces wrote: »
    My understanding of the situation is that on New Years the two people who were attacked were in the theatre and were set upon by people who had been out elsewhere. The incident happened on the main street also and not in the theatre complex. Akin to somebody going for a pint in the Burnaby and then getting into a fight in the park by the Burnaby. Its an isolated incident that doesnt deserve the scaremongering associated with it. Unfortunate incidents like this have happened outside every single late bar on the Bray seafront but it wouldnt stop me from heading out there. People also get sick in bars all the time, it doesnt faze me just something that you have to put up with. Its your responsibility to look after yourself, not rely on other people to babysit you.

My understanding is different.

Plus this isn't a licensed establishment.
    And it has next to no security.
    And nothing like art or theatre has happened there in months.

What is your understanding?

You need a license to sell drink not to give it away, its a loophole and you cant blame them for exploiting it. I think it also depends on what your concept of what art/theatre is. Obviously you dont consider live music or comedy a form of art. Perhaps the photo/painting galery on the top floor is more akin to your tastes.

I do agree that they may need more security but having been down there on countless occasions i can honestly say that in the two years this has been open this is the first incident of its kind to happen. I have never or neither have any of my friends seen or got into any trouble down there unlike what i've seen on Bray seafront. I really like what they're doing down there. The staff are pleasant which is a major plus considering the service you have to put up with in some of the other "licensed" premises in Greystones.

What is your understanding?

You need a license to sell drink not to give it away, its a loophole and you cant blame them for exploiting it. I think it also depends on what your concept of what art/theatre is. Obviously you dont consider live music or comedy a form of art. Perhaps the photo/painting galery on the top floor is more akin to your tastes.

Don't tell me what my tastes are, I didn't make assumptions about you.
    There is no live music on there any more. Its just DJ nights.
    And its outside people doing this, its not managed or run by anybody who was involved there 2 years or even 1 year ago.

The staff are pleasant which is a major plus considering the service you have to put up with in some of the other "licensed" premises in Greystones.

Last time I was at one of their "pay in, free drink" nights, there were no staff. Just mates of the lads who were putting on the DJ night, handing out the drink.

And the licensing laws are there for some good reasons.
    As it stands there is literally no control over this, and that is a bad thing.

A quick piece of research proves that there are three live music gigs on in the next few weeks... Redlands, Cujo Family and Eddi Reader.

Jack L played there on the 22nd (december) which was an exceptional gig and Dave McSavage did his standup a few days after, both seemingly organised in house. Local lads the Raglans played there on NYE.

What difference does it make who hands out the free drink or who puts on the show anyway? Most venues have promotors who rent out space to put on their own nights. Thats how its done, why is this an issue?

Also as i repeat, you do not need a license to hand out drink for free. I fully agree with the concept of licensing laws but in this case those particular laws are not applicable. No money is exchanged at the bar.

Pardon me for saying but if anybody is making assumptions it is you. Your opinions, which you have a right to express, are grounded in fiction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Dublin Chick

The place is an absolute joke. Very young crowd who drink way to much and create havoc late into the night in the area. Theatre my eye it's a place for a very young crowd to get together and drink as much as they can. Diago would be proud! And before you ask yes I have been to it and I am in my 20's and enjoy a night out and a few drinks as much as the next person but this place is a no no.

Stop comparing it to Bray Seafront. The pubs and nightclubs in bray have alot of security. If you seem like you have had to much to drink they will intervene. Of course wherever there is nightlife there will be incidents but I can tell you from someone who has stayed with friends many times in the apartment block behind it the chaos that follows the carry on in there on the weekend is very bad. The sound of fights EVERY WEEKEND as late as 4-5 am. Fact. This happens ALL THE TIME. The last time I stayed with them I saw a mini bus pull up at 4am and about 6-8 people get out and gain entrance to the "Theatre". I mean come on how is that acceptable.

As for their loophole. What a bunch of Ars***les with no regard for anything.

Sooner the place closes the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

do they check ID on people coming in the door? I don't have a major problem with the idea of BYOB but you would need even more security and vigilance than in a normal pub/club (after all, for the price of pint in the Burnaby you can buy 6 cans in Tesco). If they're not providing this then it is irresponsible.

also, when are they going to finish the outside of the building - the side facing onto Supervalu's carpark still looks like a building site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Dunphus

loyatemu wrote: »
    do they check ID on people coming in the door? I don't have a major problem with the idea of BYOB but you would need even more security and vigilance than in a normal pub/club (after all, for the price of pint in the Burnaby you can buy 6 cans in Tesco). If they're not providing this then it is irresponsible.

also, when are they going to finish the outside of the building - the side facing onto Supervalu's carpark still looks like a building site.

After some quick googling I think the developers, Cosgrave Property Developments, have gone to NAMA. In the NAMA top 10 no less

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 anewbeat

d'Oracle wrote: »
    My understanding is different.

Plus this isn't a licensed establishment.
    And it has next to no security.
    And nothing like art or theatre has happened there in months.

Jeez, who needs a recession to put a place out of business. There has been plenty goin on in terms of Arts, Music and Theatre. In the last few months there's been a panto, childrens entertainment, Jack L, The Back Doors, various bands from around the country and comimng up is Eddi Reader, wow. admittedly not as much stuff as when the Theatre started but thats probably because of the lack of support it gets when it put these events on. My experience is that the crowd changes with each event so you can't really say its a young crowd or an old crowd, its just the crowd that enjoys that particular type of event. Anyway, the People will get the Culture they deserve, so its up to everyone to speak with their feet and show what type of culture they want. lets see if Eddi Reader sells out. Fair play to the people that put effort into putting these events on in spite of such negative comments on forums like this.

When's Eddi Reader coming? Can we buy tickets in advance? Or only at the door? Still BYOB?

Would be great if someone were to update the web site (as per my OP)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 likewhine

I kind of feel sorry for the people who own the theatre - they're a nice couple who genuinely wanted to bring a venue / bar area to greystones similar to places in town like vicar street or Crawdaddy.

Having said that I wont go to a performance there as you drink out of a plastic cup and the seats I find very uncomfortable. Whats more and I know every theatre across Ireland is feeling this in the pocket it is very very hard to get people to go to shows. THe mermaid arts centre and The pavillion and most other theatres in Ireland get funding from the arts council but Greystones theatre have to fund it all themselves. Its like they had a great concept initially but no execution of it. I wish them the best but personally i think the free drink and entry charge might pay wages but it will all end in tears.......

darter wrote: »
    When's Eddi Reader coming? Can we buy tickets in advance? Or only at the door? Still BYOB?

20th February

http://www.greystonestheatre.com/listings/listings.html

Terry Pratchet

likewhine wrote: »
    I kind of feel sorry for the people who own the theatre - they're a nice couple who genuinely wanted to bring a venue / bar area to greystones similar to places in town like vicar street or Crawdaddy.

Having said that I wont go to a performance there as you drink out of a plastic cup and the seats I find very uncomfortable. Whats more and I know every theatre across Ireland is feeling this in the pocket it is very very hard to get people to go to shows. THe mermaid arts centre and The pavillion and most other theatres in Ireland get funding from the arts council but Greystones theatre have to fund it all themselves. Its like they had a great concept initially but no execution of it. I wish them the best but personally i think the free drink and entry charge might pay wages but it will all end in tears.......

I know what your sayin, but at Jack L it was proper glasses that were given out and the free drink went down well without being abused, perhaps if there was a wave of support for things like Jack L, Eddi Reader, Mick Flannery, Duke Special etc. and for the plays and comedy there would be a chance for the theatre to survive doing what it set out to do and would be able to fund things like more comfortable seats etc. Such vicious comments like "the sooner it closes the better" is unbelievable, there must be some other agenda there.
    As far as I can recall the little circular seats in vicar street aren't that comfy and have only been to stand up gigs in Crawdaddy. Anyhow, if people really don't want the theatre to continue then keep up the lack of support and vice versa.

Johnnymcg wrote: »

Is the "2010" an error then?

darter wrote: »
    Is the "2010" an error then?
    it must be an error, as its definetly 2011, i've seen the posters and facebook event. I usually go by facebook as it keeps everyone updated.

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=177574005611651&id=100000771590042#!/event.php?eid=122264534510592

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 likewhine

anewbeat wrote: »
    I know what your sayin, but at Jack L it was proper glasses that were given out and the free drink went down well without being abused, perhaps if there was a wave of support for things like Jack L, Eddi Reader, Mick Flannery, Duke Special etc. and for the plays and comedy there would be a chance for the theatre to survive doing what it set out to do and would be able to fund things like more comfortable seats etc. Such vicious comments like "the sooner it closes the better" is unbelievable, there must be some other agenda there.
    As far as I can recall the little circular seats in vicar street aren't that comfy and have only been to stand up gigs in Crawdaddy. Anyhow, if people really don't want the theatre to continue then keep up the lack of support and vice versa.
    Thanks anewbeat its been quite a while since i went so will try one of the gigs again if they are using proper glasses - it is good for headliners such as Jack L and Mick Flannery as I said I wish the theatre all the best. Your right though horrible comments such as "the sooner it closes the better" are very viscious and unkind, in such economic circumstances we should be supporting local busineses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Yeah I've been to GT twice since Halloween, and it was fairly bedlamic on both occasions after 2/3am. I was a little more than edgy at the security presence, or lack thereof, especially towards the end of the nights. There was a policy of not letting people back in once they had gone outside, which is a little farcical. I understand the logic though; Why are people going out to ATMs for a free bar event? Especially when there's a smoking section to smoke? Still, it would be nice to be able to go out front to make a phone call etc. It's up to GT to have walk-around security to prevent drug taking, not exclude people from re-entry. It's lazy, cheap management, and asking for trouble.

However comparing the drinking responsibility of the clientele of a DJ night full of 18 year olds from Bray (a s**thole), to something like a Jack L gig (recording artist of 15+ years) is ridiculous. 18 year olds/scumbags don't have a clue who Jack L is, or have any interest in his type of music. Things are obviously gonna be a bit more civilised at the latter.

If the nights were policed a little better, and some sort of feed-in to local taxi companies was happening (large crowds hanging around Greystones main St. at 4-5am) then the private open bar nights would be grand. As they are now it just feels as if something bad is just waiting to happen though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 migraineboy

I was in the theatre that night and it definitely had a fair few odd balls knocking about who ive never seen out socially in the town before, there was a few incidents there that night before the attack on the main street after,, i think the scum that did it were it the theatre.... Bad security in the theatre and the complete lack of any gardai that night after closing.. something was bound to kick off, greystones gardai station was apparently closed when called and gardai from bray came out..

The theatre tried to bring something new when it first opened and thats commendable but it is/was run as a club and then finally bringing in these 'all you can drink nights' were never gonna work out in the long run

Advertisement