Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earthing wire gauge question

Options
  • 16-01-2011 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭

We're doing a small data-centre/lab refit.
    The previous racks had PDU's (C13) which included a earthing strap, but the newer and fancier PDU's do not have this facility. The run back to the panel will be completed by the in-house electrician, but I have to couple the racks together tomorrow and buy the earth cable today (Sunday) before we refit the servers, so my question is:

Each rack has a 16A single-phase feed with a common earth at the panel, fitted with RCD's. I will couple each of the racks with suitable fittings, but I need to know whether the earthing needs to have the same current carrying capacity as the feed, ie 16A or can I use wiring suitable for ~13A?

As the lab has open access, it's inherently unsafe, so I need to be sure that the protection is operational so I'll ask them for an earth bonding test once I'm finished.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

No the earth does not need to be the same size as earth is not classed as a current carrying conductor. In all t&e cables the earth is a fraction the size of live and neutral. You should be using a 10sq clean earth to earth the cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Thanks Beanie. Facilities confirmed the same today. I'll buy 2.5 sq.

Advertisement