Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to paint wooden floors!?

• 16-01-2011 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi all, I am new to this so here goes. Have red deal wooden floors in kids bedrooms, they were varnished with dull finish 5 yrs ago, well worn now. Can I just paint over them and seal it some way or do I have to go down the sanding route. This is a budget job too! Looking for a cost and time saving solution if possible!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

yep they will need a sand...you can rent a floor sander from a tool hire place. i presume you want to re varnish them again? in this case satin(dull) or gloss(shiney)..i'd go with the ronseal diamondcoat as its very hard wearing,bondex is also very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 kiddie

Thanks for the reply, thought i could just paint them, might as well re varnish so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

when you mean paint do you mean back to what they were or change the colour?

Change the colour. thought i could put a few coats of a colour on top as they are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Either way, varnish or paint, the floors will need sanding in order to let the wood adhere properly to the varnish or paint. As cheif mentioned rent a sander from a hire shop, €30 or so a day plus paper. Worth the expense. Do not use Bondex on floors, however the Diamond coat is good.

Phil

• Advertisement

Thanks Phil

Advertisement