Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

newfoundlands

• 16-01-2011 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭

hi does anyone know if there is anyone selling newfie pups in the galway area ours died a couple of weeks ago and the wife wants another one thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

There are a few Newfie owners on here and a few I know personally that have had to source their dogs in the UK to get one from a decent breeder. Actually come to think of it I've never heard of anyone being able to find one in Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Looks like theres a club, you could try contacting them for info on good breeders:

http://www.newfoundlandclub.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

There are a few Newfie owners on here and a few I know personally that have had to source their dogs in the UK to get one from a decent breeder. Actually come to think of it I've never heard of anyone being able to find one in Ireland!
    thanks there are a few in the north but you are right bout decent breeds in ireland papers are not to important too me but so long as they are healthy and are from nice quiet parents thats all i want thanks

moy83 wrote: »
    thanks there are a few in the north but you are right bout decent breeds in ireland papers are not to important too me but so long as they are healthy and are from nice quiet parents thats all i want thanks

There's a little bit more to it than that unfortunately, the most frequent advertiser of Newfie pups in the North is a puppy farm claiming to be a 'breeder'. In order to make sure the pups are healthy reputable breeders carry out a number of health tests on any dogs to be considered for breeding. Anyone going to all this trouble will have also have the Kennel Club 'paper' in order. Getting a pup from health tested breeding stock is the only way to ensure your new dogs health. You might have pay a bit extra but it beats paying thousands in vet's bills over the dogs life. There's lots of info on this link on what Newfoundlands should be tested for:

http://www.bearadisenewfoundlands.com/healthissues.html

It's an American site but the same applies to the breed anywhere in the world.

<ETA>
    This is so important that the breed club in the UK are starting to record the results of these tests and publish them on their site:
    http://www.thenewfoundlandclub.co.uk/healthtests.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

thanks for the links ill read through them i def want a good healthy dog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I think cottagerescue.ie have a newfie in rescue at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

i got fred back in september from tynebears newfoundlands in newcastle england, its a long trip but so worth it, he's a great dog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

there are quiet a few available on donedeal.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Yea iv seen them on the site alright, wouldn't trust them though, iv never heard of any reputable breeder advertising on that site, they don't need too, particularly with a rare breed like newfoundlands, people arnt travelling to the UK for the sake of it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

Yea iv seen them on the site alright, wouldn't trust them though, iv never heard of any reputable breeder advertising on that site, they don't need too, particularly with a rare breed like newfoundlands, people arnt travelling to the UK for the sake of it

Oh sorry I must of missed that, I didnt think you wanted papers etc, and no not a fan of donedeal either, doubt any animal lover is! good luck in your search would love to see pics when you find him!

Advertisement