Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DOE Test

• 16-01-2011 2:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Hi,

has anybody taxed their camper in the last few months and if so what were you asked to provide in terms of DOE/NCT test certificates.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

just done ours in ballymun last week and we were not asked for a doe,it was the first time it was taxed i got the disc their and then and received the log book in a couple of days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

how do u go about taxing them and is there any rules before u can do so ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

apparently it varies in differnet areas , heard today the the tax offices in Clare are looking for the DOE.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 merc camper

I brought my conversion to Naas tax office they wanted to see the DOE before changing over the status to a campervan and taxing it. There was no mention about weight either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭noel farrell

taxed mine first time in carlow no nct or doe girl said she heard nothing about a test

• Advertisement

have been told by a club member that even if you can tax your camper, if a garda pulls you over and you have no doe he can fine or take your camper you have no proof that it is road worthy. not taking the chance my self am booking a test . will post the out come shortly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

THIS is the legislation under which prosecutions for failure to have/produce a current valid 'DoE' certificate of roadworthiness is taken.
    Can someone please point out where it includes 'Motor Caravans' in the list of vehicles to which it applies.

i have read the the act it says nothing of motorhomes . however i will leave it between you and the garda to argue that you are not driving a, mechanically propelled vehicle .

i have read the the act it says nothing of motorhomes . however i will leave it between you and the garda to argue that you are not driving a, mechanically propelled vehicle .

Motorcycle :confused:

But it does specifically mention another 'Special purpose Category M' vehicle, Ambulance. :confused:

• Advertisement

there is some imfo at www.rsa.ie the have a proposed testing of motor, homes, camper vans. as special purpose vehicles early 2011. i called my doe test centre the girl was very nice and had all the details . its a will do two years on vechicles up to ten years , one year over ten years. there is alight vechicle , and heavy depends on weight, and size . you may never be pulled over by a garda .i have a light goods jeep and have never been asked for doe cert by a garda . but you will need it to tax your motorhome shortly . she told me it is law all motor vechicles have to be tested full stop . and god for bid any of us have a prang , there could be an insurance loop hole . not road worthy . i booked a test not a happy camper but thats life

there is some imfo at www.rsa.ie the have a proposed testing of motor, homes, camper vans. as special purpose vehicles early 2011. i called my doe test centre the girl was very nice and had all the details . its a will do two years on vechicles up to ten years , one year over ten years. there is alight vechicle , and heavy depends on weight, and size . you may never be pulled over by a garda .i have a light goods jeep and have never been asked for doe cert by a garda . but you will need it to tax your motorhome shortly . she told me it is law all motor vechicles have to be tested full stop . and god for bid any of us have a prang , there could be an insurance loop hole . not road worthy . i booked a test not a happy camper but thats life

The whole mess will indeed be cleared up 'shortly'. All motor caravans will need to be tested to the same frequency as 'cars' and the charge will be that same as a light goods test, irrespective of the weight/size, and those with two rear axles will pay a few Euro more due to the extra bit of work, see HERE FOR FULL TEXT OF PROPOSALS

Unfortunately had a prang, not myself but other named driver ;), bill was over €7k and no mention of roadworthiness cert or lack of.

BTW, the lack of a cert does not make a vehicle unroadworthy, that can only be ascertained by subjecting a vehicle to a test.

A DPP prosecution would allege that ......... the owner of a motor vehicleto which the European Communities (Vehicle Testing) Regulations, 2004 applies.......did fail to produce a certificate of roadworthiness................. The alleged offence is not that the vehicle was/is unroadworthy, it is of not having a certificate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

niloc1951 wrote: »
    BTW, the lack of a cert does not make a vehicle unroadworthy, that can only be ascertained by subjecting a vehicle to a test.

A DPP prosecution would allege that ......... the owner of a motor vehicleto which the European Communities (Vehicle Testing) Regulations, 2004 applies.......did fail to produce a certificate of roadworthiness................. The alleged offence is not that the vehicle was/is unroadworthy, it is of not having a certificate.

A good friend of mine bought a 10 year old LDV mini bus to convert into a camper. It has a valid DOE cert. I was helping him strip it out and when we lifted the floor it was full of rust. The bus had been used for school runs !! A doe cert means nothing IMO you need a machanic you trust to check it out and service it every year - that's what I've done the last two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

We've had so many discussions regarding DOE/NCT testing of campers, including sending our views to the RSA, we know that a test designed for campers is on its way, we know that all motorised vehicles need a test, we know that any test is only proof that the vehicle was fit for the road on the day of the test and that between tests it is up to the owner, be it car or whatever, to keep the vehicle roadworthy so why don't we all just get our 'vans tested?. I did. We have been told by the RSA that any test that is valid when the specific test comes in will be treated as a one or two year as appropriate and that we will not have to get a special camper test done until that cert. expires. This would end all discussions on this subject until we see the requirements of the new test, and then I'm sure we will find a lot of points to raise hell about. :D

irishgoatman says,
    "................until we see the requirements of the new test, and then I'm sure we will find a lot of points to raise hell about."
    The requirements of the forthcoming test for 'motor caravans' are published, see the link on my previous post, and are awaiting the Ministers signature to make them law. IMHO they are fair and reflect what is required by the relevant EU Directive so I don't see your point of having something "to raise hell about"

".....we know that all motorised vehicles need a test"
    Not true, the current legislation is quite specific as to the type of vehicle to which it applies.
    1. Vehicles for the carriage of passengers with more than eight passenger seats
    2. Goods vehicles
    3. Goods trailers over 3,500kg design gross weight
    4. And, Ambulances
    Army and Garda vehicles are exempted.
    Thats it - full stop - it it's not covered by the above, the European Communities (Vehicle Testing) Regulations, 2004, do not apply to it.
    'Cars' are separately covered by the NCT legislation.

"...............to keep the vehicle roadworthy so why don't we all just get our 'vans tested?"

Why should I pay my good money for an unnecessary test and more for an unnecessary certificate, I know my motor caravan is roadworthy, It gets a main dealer service as per its service schedule book (which is more frequent than the proposed interval) and all necessary maintenance carried out. I also have the technical competence to recognise any faults or maintenance requirements should any develop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

As I said, we've been through all this so many times that this will be the last comment I make on this subject until the regulations are signed off by the minister.
    Yes the requirements are published but who's to say they won't be altered before being signed off.
    Part of S.I. 395/1999 of the road traffic act defines a mechanically propelled vehicle that needs to have a test as being a vehicle having at least 4 wheels and is primally designed for the carriage of passengers and having a maximum of 8 seats. As far as I can see that covers my camper and it is just the specific test that was never sorted out.
    Both my car and my camper get a regular service by a mechanic who is also a D.O.E. tester at the garage where I took my camper to be tested ( but as he maintains it he did not do the test on it).This does not mean that my car should be exempt from an annual test (it is now 6 years old) so why should my camper, which is 25 years old.

If you, niloc, are convinced that your camper does not or should not need a test then all I can say is happy motoring to you. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

niloc1951 wrote: »
    irishgoatman says,
    "............... I also have the technical competence to recognise any faults or maintenance requirements should any develop.

fair enough , but not everyone who has a car/truck/van/Camper has!

Are you as opposed to the NCt too?

Technical competence is one thing , but can you test for emissions , for example? When did you last beam set your headlamps?

I'm not attacking you , it's just that as a mechanic myself , I'm happy to have apiece of paper from a recognised body , ascertaining that they also agree my own vehicles are roadworthy and safe , both to drive and to the environment .

im not going to have my van or my motorbike tested until it is sorted out,my van has a current uk doe so im sure it would pass any thing our crowd could but it through,i put new tyres on the bike and it will get a service soon but no test cos their is none,

and thats the point boys and girls their is no test so keep your money for a fill or a nice site over the summer

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    fair enough , but not everyone who has a car/truck/van/Camper has!

Are you as opposed to the NCt too?

Technical competence is one thing , but can you test for emissions , for example? When did you last beam set your headlamps?

I'm not attacking you , it's just that as a mechanic myself , I'm happy to have apiece of paper from a recognised body , ascertaining that they also agree my own vehicles are roadworthy and safe , both to drive and to the environment .
    Yes I have a valid NCT for both our cars and the headlamps on all three vehicles are set correctly AND in full working order.

One of the vehicles got new rear slave cylinders, to replace weeping ones, when being services one week after PASSING its NCT, so what value was that piece of paper. The NCT should not be seen as an alternative for servicing by a competent mechanic in line with manufacturers recommendations.

Finally, if you have read my previous posts you will see that I am fully committed to the proposition that ALL vehicles, without exception, should be periodically roadworthiness tested, as per EU Directive, which is most comprehensive.

It is my opinion, having studied our legislation here in Ireland on the matter, that said legislation has been drafted in such a manner that it contains a LACUNA in relation to the testing of motor caravans. The legislation is also at variance to the EU Directive which it proports to bring into Irish law in at least two other areas, which are however not relevant to this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

Lads, and if possible mods,

Would it be possible to get the current definitive on this (DOE testing) and get it placed in a sticker at the top of the forum?

This topic gets kicked around every couple of months and is, in my opinion, confusing to both newcomers and existing MC owners.

Thanks....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Would it be possible to get the current definitive on this (DOE testing) and get it placed in a sticker at the top of the forum?

The current definitive is that there is no current definitive ...yet :D

This being Ireland, it gets made up as you go along.

According to EU law all vehicles (including motorhomes, motorbikes and potentially even trailers) should be subject to a test. Ireland bungled that one up when they introduced the NCT (under pressure from the EU, may I add), forgetting about campers and bikes.

Motorhomes currently aren't really exempt from the test, but there is no clear law or regulation (yet) to cater for them either.

The end result is that some tax offices aks for a DOE cert, others don't. Some DOE stations will test your van, others may have to be persuaded. Either way, the criteria to which they may test it aren't hewn in stone yet either.
    Some guards (in Limerick in particular) try to fine you over not having a DOE, others couldn't care less.
    Insurance companies just want your money ...but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't pay out on an expensive claim if you don't have a test (or at least they may try it on)

But ...the test is coming. It's just a question of how and when and if anyone will bother to tell us about it, officially, like :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

Thanks P,

I know this :D but I was hoping you could sticky your reply post so that we avoid the monthly DOE test, no-test, mass hysteria posts that seem to be re-occurring!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Des32

I rang test centre today to book my 2003 motorhome in for test thinking I would get test cert valid for two years but they said that they are only valid for one year.
    Has anyone got a cert for two years ?

Des32 wrote: »
    I rang test centre today to book my 2003 motorhome in for test thinking I would get test cert valid for two years but they said that they are only valid for one year.
    Has anyone got a cert for two years ?

that would be spot on, the current DOE is for commercial vehicles and is for one year

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Des32

RSA DOCUMENT 22/11/2010

I write further to the recent public consultation on the roadworthiness testing of motor caravans.
    Having considered the feedback, the Road Safety Authority completed its review and made
    recommendations which have been approved by the Minister for Transport. I am attaching for,
    your information, a note setting out the new test arrangements for Motor Caravans. The new
    arrangements will be underpinned by new regulations1 which should come into effect early in 2011.
    However, as motor caravans are already required to have a roadworthiness certificate, motor
    caravan owners should continue to have their vehicles tested at the VTN in the interim.
    It should be noted that these new arrangements apply only to motor caravans used solely for the
    carriage of passengers. Vehicles which have been registered and / or taxed as motor caravans, but,
    which have been designed primarily for the carriage of goods, such as animal transporters, will
    continue to be tested and charged as goods vehicles. They are already required to undergo an
    annual roadworthiness test at the VTN, and where applicable be fitted with a speed limiter,
    tachograph, conspicuity markings, side and rear underrun, wide angle and close proximity mirrors
    etc and have their brakes tested on the basis of the vehicle’s Design Gross Vehicle Weight (DGVW).
    If you have any queries please contact us on 096 25014 from 9:00 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. Monday to
    Friday or by email at vehiclestandards@rsa.ie

2. Test Frequency – 4:2:2:2:1 (as for NCT)
    In line with the test frequencies currently applicable to vehicles tested at NCT, motor caravans
    will be tested on the fourth anniversary of first registration and thereafter every two years.
    Annual testing of motor caravans that are over ten years old will apply after June 2011. This is in
    line with the impending introduction of annual testing of cars at NCT that are over ten years old
    from June 2011. Motor caravans used for the carriage of goods, i.e. incorrectly classified animal
    transporters, will continue to be tested as goods vehicles every year.

Where can I get a two year cert or must I wait until June 2011 before this comes into force

Advertisement