Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Louth election advice needed!

Options
  • 16-01-2011 2:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

If any fellow members here has run before in elections, could they PM me?
    Advice/information is needed.

I'm so sick of the goings on that I've decided to make some noise!

I'm NOT going to be disputing over local issues - I shall be protesting about national ones.
    We have enough heads at local levels to argue who gets the credit for potholes been filled in and lights been put on streets!
    I'm not running for sorting out that crap!

I'm running to protest at the cronyism, the government corruption, the lies told, the mess that is the banking issue, the lack of political openness and accountability, etc and every other piece of corruption that exists by white collar political criminals I feel are installed in our current Dail!
    ..And let me state right now, that if I do get elected (by some absolute miracle), AT LEAST 40% of the current wage of a TD - if it became mine too, would going to two national charities (Dublin Rape Crises Centre and Crumlin Childrens Hospital).
    I'm NOT in it for the money.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

You've got my vote!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

Biggins wrote: »

I'm NOT going to be disputing over local issues - I shall be protesting about national ones.
    We have enough heads at local levels to argue who gets the credit for potholes been filled in and lights been put on streets!

I'm running to protest at the cronyism, the government corruption, the lies told, the mess that is the banking issue, the lack of political openness and accountability, etc and every other piece of corruption that exists by white collar political criminals I feel are installed in our current Dail!
    ..And let me state right now, that if I do get elected (by some absolute miracle), AT LEAST 40% of the current wage of a TD - if it became mine too, would going to two national charities (Dublin Rape Crises Centre and Crumlin Childrens Hospital).

good luck biggins.... dont forget the broadband farce in Drogheda!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

ingen wrote: »
    good luck biggins.... dont forget the broadband farce in Drogheda!
    I'm onto Wimax about that situation as we speak.
    Even right now, there are problems.
    I wish I would say it was just Wimax but I've found its the same crap service, excuses and endless phone calls to report problems, to these far too unregulated cowboys!

You can read about my own problem here on my site: http://www.unitedpeople.ie/buyer.html

...From talking to many and hearing others too - I'm far from being on my own!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

With the power of boards behind you I predict a landslide!!!!!!!!

Vote Biggins #1 !!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What do you mean by South Louth? I thought Louth was a single constituancy. Or have you introduced a parochial element to your campaign already?

• Advertisement

What do you mean by South Louth? I thought Louth was a single constituency. Or have you introduced a parochial element to your campaign already?
    I mean in regard to the region I'm coming from - not from a political aspect.
    Lets get that straight from the start and not let others try distort why I mention "South Louth" for their own reasons.
    I looking for help advice from anyone in the South Louth area. Its easier on them and me to get to them/chat to them.

That's fine so. It just read as though you were talking about the General Election and a South Louth constituancy. When you said you were standing on national issues it just conflicted with the South Louth reference. No offence intended; I was genuinely confused. So please don't get angry about it.

BTW: The region you're coming from is Louth and not South Louth; or at least it is depending on the definition of Region. In election terms it is Louth.

Any road, I was not trying to distort anything and really couldn't case less about it at this point but I thought it confusing. That's all. So again, I had no intention of trying to distort anything and don't like how you implied that I did have reasons for doing so. I usually enjoy, and put great store by, your contributions here but I'm a bit taken aback by your reaction to what was intended as a civil question.

That's fine so...
    No worries.
    Sadly there are a couple of few FF heads (from the politics section) that my ire was directed at, not yourself.
    They in their usual fashion use anything or opportunity to get a dig in, even if the foundation for it is wrong.
    My apologies for the short thrift if it came across as directed at yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

Biggins

I think you need to be voted in as a local councilor first to get on a ticket and then to put down your deposit to run for a vacancy.

I'm in Dundalk so not local to you and would not have a local vote in your district in helping you on the first step of the long ladder. I would not be shy in helping out so if you are planning a "think in" I'm sure you could gather up a couple of handfuls here in Louth. Go for it .

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭TO_ARTHUR!

Fair play, you should definitely do that!

One TD for the South Louth area is not enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

Biggins wrote: »

biggins, hope you dont mind me asking, are you originally from the Louth / Drogheda area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Biggins if ya need a bit of help or anything Id be willing, not sure what use I would be mind. Im in Drog at the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

We need more people like this, not for this election but the one in 4 years time where the real battle for Irelands future will be fought.

The cronyism is disgusting in this country, it rivals only Nigeria as FF appoint all their faithful to state bodies. Political parties are to blame and I doubt FG would be any different.

We also have far too many TD's. One per 100,000 would be more than sufficient. Around 45-50 TD's to run the country at national level is all that is required to create policy and effectively carry it out.

Irish politics exists at constituency level when it should be national. As well as new blood we need the Irish public to change and step up to the mark to play their part as well. Voting in the old guard every 5 years and then whinging it's not working isn't a valid excuse any more. Both sides need to accept responsibility for the future of this country to exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

Biggins you have 50 days to save the county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭wee truck big driver

i am running aswell policies or 1) halving of all welfare payments. 2)remove the minimum wage. 3) immediate closure of the louth hospital and sale to any potential developer. 4) willing to accept any brown envelopes from someone willing to build a private hospital that is fit for purpose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

i am running aswell policies or 1) halving of all welfare payments. 2)remove the minimum wage. 3) immediate closure of the louth hospital and sale to any potential developer. 4) willing to accept any brown envelopes from someone willing to build a private hospital that is fit for purpose

Fianna Fail by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Good luck Biggins. You might as well give it a shot. No point in wondering in years to come what might have been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Sure give it a go and best of luck. Odds of a first time candidate getting elected are very low

The worst that can happen is you'll learn loads and make a run at the local elections in a few years.

Sure even Abraham Lincoln failed in 7 elections. No such thing as failure, it's just one step closer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭kyosushi

You're having a laugh but I like the sense of humour of running , halving , removing , closing and accepting ,

Thanks to all for the kind words.

I went away for two days to the back end of Galway - and when I do, all hell breaks lose in the Dail and the country!
    I'm back now tonight and come Monday will be taking the necessary steps to see that I'm a candidate for those in Louth to choose.
    I'm realistic about my chances and whom I'm up against but I think its time to think outside the box, confront those that are meant to be serving us (but actually themselves) and ask the real questions about how we are all being taken for a ride by our own and by EU heads.

As I said in the politics thread (here)...
    We got to start re-evaluating not just how we do things - but to whom we should be asking who should be doing it.
    There is far too much rubbish in the Dail that is engrained with the methods of the old ways.
    Time to blow away the cobwebs!

I will be pm'ing a few of ye over the next few days. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Will the name "Biggins" appear on the election voting paper ??:)
    Running on a south county ticket will,as im sure you know,screw your vote count.but good luck with it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Yeah was just going to ask your name, Gerry Adams is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

amacachi wrote: »
    Yeah was just going to ask your name, Gerry Adams is it?
    Arfur Morgan :p

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

Hey Biggins,

Fair play for having the gumption to run. There will be a lot of independents running. What policies do you have? And I'm not talking about bluster etc and so forth.

Do you have a manifesto?
    What are you goals?
    How will you get funding?
    When is your first public meeting?
    What local contacts do you have?
    What is your budget?
    If elected, what do you hope to achieve as an independent?
    What are you for?

I appreciate and support your anger and reasons for wanting to run but give me a clear campaign strategy.

Good luck.

Hey Biggins,

Fair play for having the gumption to run. There will be a lot of independents running. What policies do you have? And I'm not talking about bluster etc and so forth.

Do you have a manifesto?
    What are you goals?
    How will you get funding?
    When is your first public meeting?
    What local contacts do you have?
    What is your budget?
    If elected, what do you hope to achieve as an independent?
    What are you for?

I appreciate and support your anger and reasons for wanting to run but give me a clear campaign strategy.

Good luck.

Those questions in greater detail will be answered when in the next few days I'm successful hopefully in getting the necessary paperwork back to the proper authorities, so that I can be then allowed to stand.

I can say however that I'm funding my own small campaign entirely and not relying (its a strong point with me) on wasting public money.
    Money is a point of contention with me in fact.

I've said it already and I will be saying it publicly more if possible - if by some huge miracle I get elected (I'm realistic about my actual chances) 40% of the present maddening huge wage of a TD, will be donated to two charities. They being the Dublin Rape Crises Centre and Crumlins Children's Hospital in which I have spoken out for and supported previously.
    As some might know I have a child that has to attend there on a regular basis. Details of that can be found HERE.
    A website that I run with my own savings can be found here: www.unitedpeople.ie

I regard serving one's nation as a vocation, an honour - it should NOT be treated as a career step and used just for the betterment of oneself.

All that is accepted and very laudable, Biggins, but what would your policies and objectives be? Giving 40% or your salary elsewhere doesn't measure up as a policy. Nor would it improve the state purse. I'm looking for alternatives but they need to have sound principles and specifics.

All that is accepted and very laudable, Biggins, but what would your policies and objectives be? Giving 40% or your salary elsewhere doesn't measure up as a policy. Nor would it improve the state purse. I'm looking for alternatives but they need to have sound principles and specifics.
    Very true and as mentioned above, when its confirmed that I'm allowed to run, I will be making those every things clear.
    I will make my position clear on issues, how I would hope to address them, etc, once stage one is done with. :)

Update: Spoke to the County council offices in Dundalk.
    They are in a state of chaos at present as regards the upcoming election.
    Because the date is likely to change, there is some confusion as to when forms can be given out etc.
    As soon as I have the relevant forms, filled, submitted back and confirmed that I can stand as a candidate, I will take things form there.
    According to Dundalk this might be a few days. The "Returning Office" apparently has her work cut out for her.

this whole thiing reminds me of x factor biggins could be this elections wagner gets a few votes because its funny gets a few votes to p1ss the real politicians off but ultimately has a snowballs chance in hell of getting elected

as i have already stated i will be putting myself forward and will be giving 100% of the salary to a unemployed mother of four who will be depending on the money to feed and clothe her children i would be delighted if anybody out there could help with littering the countryside with posters of my ugly mug and or going around peoples houses harassing innocent people with better things to do cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

as i have already stated i will be putting myself forward

Don't be offended , We could do with an Official Monster Raving Loony Party in Louth as we seem to have little or no candidates putting themselves forward.

We could open a wing in Dundalk Hospital for Lord Wee to distribute Lithium salts to swinging voters during the election campaign party

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement