Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Louth election advice needed!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭wee truck big driver

shindig-jp wrote: »
    Don't be offended , We could do with an Official Monster Raving Loony Party in Louth as we seem to have little or no candidates putting themselves forward.

We could open a wing in Dundalk Hospital for Lord Wee to distribute Lithium salts to swinging voters during the election campaign party

all financial help would be appreciated

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

all financial help would be appreciated
    Your trying to opt for the €500 charge route then instead of collection 30 signatures (which all have to be individually witnessed by a commissioner of oaths, a Garda or an official registration authority) ?

...And have you seen the form AF1 (title at the top of each 4 page form "Form of Statutory Declaration By Assentors To Nomination Of Certain Candidates At Dail Election") 30 people have to sign? Holy hell, who wrote the damn thing!
    Talk about making a form as difficult to wade through and read, as possible!

Straight off the mark, line 1:
    "Number and polling district on Register of Electors in force" (Like everyone knows their polling number and registration district number automatically!)
    ...and the forms continues on in that governmental mumbo-jumbo!

If one tries to collect the 30 signatures needed, each person individually has to present themselves to be witnessed signing the forms to the proper authorities as well as acknowledging/confirming other photos of candidate that have been submitted for submission - 30 times!
    ...And you have seven days in which to get all 30 people to present themselves individually!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Biggins wrote: »
    Your trying to opt for the €500 charge route then instead of collection 30 signatures (which all have to be individually witnessed by a commissioner of oaths, a Garda or an official registration authority) ?

...And have you seen the form AF1 (title at the top of each 4 page form "Form of Statutory Declaration By Assentors To Nomination Of Certain Candidates At Dail Election") 30 people have to sign? Holy hell, who wrote the damn thing!
    Talk about making a form as difficult to wade through and read, as possible!

Straight off the mark, line 1:
    "Number and polling district on Register of Electors in force" (Like everyone knows their polling number and registration district number automatically!)
    ...and the forms continues on in that governmental mumbo-jumbo!

If one tries to collect the 30 signatures needed, each person individually has to present themselves to be witnessed signing the forms to the proper authorities as well as acknowledging/confirming other photos of candidate that have been submitted for submission - 30 times!
    ...And you have seven days in which to get all 30 people to present themselves individually!

Plenty of non-party candidates do it every election.

Plenty of non-party candidates do it every election.
    True. I support they opt for the money route.
    I can understand why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Biggins are you gonna pay or get the signatures?

• Advertisement

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Biggins are you gonna pay or get the signatures?
    That situation is currently being looked at.

Question: If anyone in the Drogheda area, knows a very cheap printing business, I'd be very grateful if you would let me know.
    I'm working on a very tight budget so pointing me in a direction to one that is most reasonable, would be much appreciated.

Just to explain why I'm going independent as I have explained in the politics section (here) - just in case anyone has missed it:

I will lay my cards on the table, I intend to run if possible (I will know for certain in the next 36 hours) as an independent.
    I WILL NOT be running on local issues and intend to make that quite clear.
    I will (fingers crossed) be running on national issues.

Why independent you may ask?

...Because I will not be voting for FF for sure (obvious reasons), Labour while maybe having an effective head, has not got an ideal candidate running in my region and they are perhaps to ruled by union heads too.
    FG I feel to be honest, is just as enshrined with the same cronyism, is too cosy (as FF) to business and banking interests, etc than I would like.
    Sinn Fein is not an ideology I agree with and as for the Greens, well the least said about them the better!
    (The above is the short version)

So where does that leave me? Nowhere.
    I can see no viable alternative that would be willing to speak for me at national level, no alternative that is willing to stand up for FULL accountability and clarity amid other issues.

So rather than just give up, I've said "to hell with this" and I'm making an independent stand.
    Now I don't expect to get far - I will probably lose my deposit (no small amount) considering whom I'm up against in Louth - but I'll be damned if I'm not going to try and make noise and remind other heads that "hey, the actual people deserve something new, more honest and by god - an alternative to what has gone before!"

Independents have to start somewhere. Get enough of them that are thinking alike and you never know... down the road we could have indeed a new political party that just might bring about drastic change that we all need so very, very much.

how many votes do you have to get to have your 500euro returned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I see what you oppose, I don't see what you stand for. It's the very first line in your reasons.

That website is full of negative stories, I don't see ideas or plans for Louth and national issues.
    Or have I missed it?

Sorry, negative politics turn me off. It's vote for me as the other crowd are worse.

I'd love to see your campaign with new and great ideas :)

So next time you type:
    Why independent you may ask?

...Because I will not be voting for
    Instead it'll be what you will be voting for
    That's turning a negative into a positive

I see what you oppose, I don't see what you stand for. It's the very first line in your reasons...

I'd love to see your campaign with new and great ideas :)

As I've said in the politics section, I shall know in the next 36 hours as to confirmation of my standing.
    Once I know that and its legally possible to begin electioneering (Cowen going to the President, etc), I shall make what I stand for, my aspirations, my background and my ideas, etc public.
    Unlike some FF members, I won't jump the starting gun. Please bear with me and wait for forthcoming updates to the unitepeople.ie site which is ready to go, once everyone is allowed begin putting themselves forth individually and legally. :)

• Advertisement

how many votes do you have to get to have your 500euro returned
    According to the forms that have to be filled in.. "The deposit will be returned in the case of successful candidates, those receiving votes in excess of a quarter of the quota and in other certain circumstances; not being validly nominated, withdrawal of candidate or death."

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

Are you Drogheda based Biggins? If so I can be oneof your 30 signatures and can probably get the GF to do so also if needed....

As I've said in the politics section, I shall know in the next 36 hours as to confirmation of my standing.
    Once I know that and its legally possible to begin electioneering (Cowen going to the President, etc), I shall make what I stand for, my aspirations, my background and my ideas, etc public.
    Unlike some FF members, I won't jump the starting gun. Please bear with me and wait for forthcoming updates to the unitepeople.ie site which is ready to go, once everyone is allowed begin putting themselves forth individually and legally. :)

Ah look! This is turning into nonsense. "Legally possible" bull! There is nothing to stop you saying what stance you would be taking. I thought this was a thread/move that might go somewhere. How wrong I was. I think you are deluding yourself. Sorry, but you have to be able to say what you will do, what you are for, not just what you are against.

I think we need radical change but it needs to be coherant.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

There is no legal prohibition on making public ones campaign platform prior to the calling of an election.

The only activity I'm aware of being subject to restrictions prior to dissolution of the Dáil are erection of posters on public property (governed by littering laws).

Finally though... good luck. Although I'm not generally a supporter of Independent candidates, I've a lot of respect for anyone that's willing to get off the sidelines and put themselves before the people.

reallistically you where better off giving that 500 euro to a charity if you have 500euro goin spare if not keep it in your pocket otherwise you might as well burn it

Ah look! This is turning into nonsense. "Legally possible" bull! There is nothing to stop you saying what stance you would be taking. I thought this was a thread/move that might go somewhere. How wrong I was. I think you are deluding yourself. Sorry, but you have to be able to say what you will do, what you are for, not just what you are against.

I think we need radical change but it needs to be coherent.
    Your entitled to your opinion but with respect, I'm not going to start off on the wrong foot or even the perchance that I might be.
    If I'm going to do this, I'm going to do it right - and to the best of my ability.
    Not have it come back to haunt me if I can help it.

We all are going to have around three weeks to listen to what going to be flooded upon public ears.
    Its not too much to ask that you wait at least another 24 hours? I ask this of you respectfully.
    A phone call to a returning officer in Dundalk to sort out final matters is what is holding myself personally back. This last hurdle I hope to cross some time tomorrow or early Tuesday.

I totally agree with your last sentiment and in between taking breaks to return to post on Boards.ie, I'm currently updating my site with draft material, which when then updated, will hopefully address some of your questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I think Biggins wants to make sure he is/can run before setting out his stall, a sensible option I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    I think Biggins wants to make sure he is/can run before setting out his stall, a sensible option I think.

That's fair enough. But he's making out like the process is far more complex or mysterious than it is. It's very clear. Anybody that's an Irish citizen over 21 years old can run if they get the required 30 signatures or put up a €500 deposit.

The least I'd expect of a potential legislator is an ability to research and interpret the existing law in a reasonably coherent manner.

That's fair enough. But he's making out like the process is far more complex or mysterious than it is. It's very clear. Anybody that's an Irish citizen over 21 years old can run if they get the required 30 signatures or put up a €500 deposit.

The least I'd expect of a potential legislator is an ability to research and interpret the existing law in a reasonably coherent manner.
    I'm inquiring at to the accepted modes of payment and a small number of questions that have to be answered on the electoral application form.
    Simple questions but ones that cannot be answered over a weekend when offices are closed! :)
    The Dundalk returning office is currently snowed under at present and immediate answers then tomorrow are not going to happen in all likelihood.
    Contact to her is by email such is her workload and as some must bare with me, I must bare with the current delay.
    I'm just as frustrated to get going...

I'm inquiring at to the accepted modes of payment and a small number of questions that have to be answered on the electoral application form.
    Simple questions but ones that cannot be answered over a weekend when offices are closed! :)
    The Dundalk returning office is currently snowed under at present and immediate answers then tomorrow are not going to happen in all likelihood.
    Contact to her is by email such is her workload and as some must bare with me, I must bare with the current delay.

Sounding like a true politican there.;)

I'd hate to see how you'd deal with the procedures required to extract replies from departments and Dail committees if the question of how to pay over €500 or complete the application form is taking so long to be answered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

Biggins

you have my vote , all I ask of you when you get on board is to get me some decent Broad band . . I'll settle for the fiber 12 meg and beyond speeds , VOIP , €25 monthly package with no sign up fee . plus 90% tax on anybody that has more than three houses in Ireland .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

biggins you would want to get your skates on....... you are running out of runway fast..

Biggins

you have my vote , all I ask of you when you get on board is to get me some decent Broad band . . I'll settle for the fiber 12 meg and beyond speeds , VOIP , €25 monthly package with no sign up fee . plus 90% tax on anybody that has more than three houses in Ireland .

so its safe to say you have two houses

Yes ,you are correct , One house is Biggins and the other house I believe you have an interest in , Out of the two houses , the Biggins house is winning it's struggle and argument , while the small house which is a truck demountable unit and can be parked in a Lay-town holiday facility .

I trust Mr Mongolian will allow a little friendly banter between fellow contributing posters .

sorry i misread your post. i am guessing you have three houses or is that tree house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

The suspense is killing me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭Fo Real

Biggins

Ahh, the gombeen politics returns. "What can you do for me?"

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

Where is Biggins gone?
    Did he register?
    Who is he?

News please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Where is Biggins gone?
    Did he register?
    Who is he?

News please.

Yeah Biggins, we need to know which posters to draw hitler mustaches and glasses and devil horns on :D

• Advertisement

Fo Real wrote: »
    Ahh, the gombeen politics returns. "What can you do for me?"
    Just read between the lines = Fo Real

I agree but what choices do we have in Louth , I'm almost sure we are heading for a Labour/FG Government with Louth a piece of string between The Shinners & A Government .

We just do not have a charismatic candidate or party who has a policy for change or who inspires me at the moment , So yes it is a case of "What can you do for me" and by that i really mean Give me hope that we as a nation can thrive , All the Bollocks surrounding Market Sq in Dundalk ? Nobody saying anything about that for example No they just go for the easy targets like a hospital to get a vote .

All we have are a bunch of Wallies trying to grab power and put back what we have lost , What about a bunch of New Independents giving us what we never had . Just not there in this election .

So if nobody can give us all in Louth something each to hope for, I'll bank my vote on anybody who will selfishly serve my needs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement