Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Own interpretation of the Bible?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

gbee wrote: »

I think Christ's message was purity of spirit.

Well, that's all very well and good. But I'm not sure what it means. I'm also not sure how you know can know such a thing or, indeed, anything about Jesus if you dismiss the Bible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Well, that's all very well and good. But I'm not sure what it means. I'm also not sure how you know can know such a thing or, indeed, anything about Jesus if you dismiss the Bible.

I think the base ethos is defined as faith and if one achieves spirituality one just knows, Christ does not dwell in the book.

The book in it's purest form simply acknowledges a creator, Christ was one who followed that and laid out a covenant for life that, if followed, should bring spiritual awareness.

It's a juxtaposition, for if you follow Christ, you don't need the Bible, yet, as you point you, without the Bible, or someone telling you about it, you'd as likely not know about Christ at all, or at least you'd not call him that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Xizors Palace said:
    That quote from Colossians is not referring to sexual activity, but rather to food and other things like that.
    Yes, but it covers the principle: man-made dos and don'ts don't count.

It's a difficult issue to talk with because of the sensitive and depraved nature of the topic, but there is a very good priest I know who would have a definitive answer for me. If I pluck up the courage to ask him, I will let you know.:)
    I'll be glad to hear.
    This is the last word as far as I am concerned: http://www.presentationministries.com/brochures/OralSex.asp and really confirms everything I have said up to this point.
    It does indeed get to the real defense of your position: it is not about the danger of pre-mature ejaculation, but about it not being 'natural' and it being only about sex, not love. The allegation is that it contravenes the papal injunction: 'in the [generative] function, spouses should experience pleasure and enjoyment of body and spirit. Therefore, the spouses do nothing evil in seeking this pleasure and enjoyment. They accept what the Creator has intended for them. At the same time, spouses should know how to keep themselves within the limits of just moderation.'

But it fails to show how oral sex is any more unnatural than any other sort of sexual fondling, and it fails to show how it is not as much an expression of love as other fondling or the sex act itself.

Remember too, it is service to one's partner, not a self-absorbed act.

1 Corinthians 7:3 Let the husband render to his wife the affection due her, and likewise also the wife to her husband. 4 The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. And likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Xizors Palace

gbee wrote: »
    Because I get inspired and these thoughts come into my head, I've said a few times that Christ's Church has been lost and there is no way the enslavement and punishment meted out in his name through either Islam, Catholicism, Bible Belt Intolerance, Davidism or any other cult can really claim to be Christian.

I think Christ's message was purity of spirit.

Have you got a cult in mind that is Christian? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

wolfsbane wrote:
    But it fails to show how oral sex is any more unnatural than any other sort of sexual fondling, and it fails to show how it is not as much an expression of love as other fondling or the sex act itself.

"Rome says it, I believe it, that settles it" ?

Advertisement