Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to do with my cabinet!!

• 16-01-2011 3:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Just checked out my jamma cabinet in my parents shed. Have discoverd that only 5 of the 6 buttons work (think it might be something to do with the kick harness, though I'm by far an expert).

Anyways found the games that I currently have ( a short list cos I sold a few of them along with my Super Gun set up) and was wondering what people thought.

Superman

Spider-Man

Street Fighter Championship Edition (think it's a clone)

Puzz Loop

Double Dragon (can only play 1 plyer due to 2nd player automatically moving in one diection - wonder if it can be fixed?)

Crime Fighters (seems completley screwed, screen just flashes when I turn it on-again, don't know if it can be fixed).

I'm in two minds whether or not to get rid of the whole thing. I'd love to refurbish it and get it back in great condition as a project, but I don't think I've the willpower!!

Anyone got any encouragement to help me get my mojo back?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I take it there's an original working arcade monitor in it?

If so, refurbish it and get it back to it's former glory!

Got any pics? What kind of cab is it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Yes, give us some pics!

A new harness wont set you back very much and would more then lightly sort out the button problem, did all the buttons work for SF2 before, if not it's probably not a jamma+ harness

The double dragon problem could be caused by a bad switch or a dirty contact on the pcb?

Finding the time is the hardest part of fixing up a cabinet but give yourself a few weekends. Order a new harness, switches, joysticks and side art, It wont be as much as you think!

Hopefully you have a working monitor but even if you don't someone will point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

Here ya go.

Screen is working fine. the cabinet itself is in the need of a good cleaning for starters!

With the whole wiring issue, I'd be afraid that I'd break the whole thing and ruin what is basically a workable cabinet (with games that are 5 buttons or less of course!).

Here are the pics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Right look I would love to have a cab like that! I'd absolutly make it fantastic!

And you already have one so its either sh1t or bust with it. Go for a a complete refurb on it, give it a good cleaning and mabye a few new bits and pieces for it and i promice you'll be so happy you did it!

Hot chicks dig arcade cabs*

*Mabye less true than stated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Wow! That's a monster! Nice machine. Any idea how big the monitor is? From the side on picture it looks huge.

You really have to get that going again :)

If the only problem is one button it should be really easy to fix. It may just be something tiny, like one of the wires has come away from a button under the control panel. Maybe flip the panel forward just to have a look and make sure everything is connected? Doesn't require any electrical knowledge really.

Even still, 5 out of 6 buttons aint bad. I never bothered wiring up 2 of the 6 buttons in my last one.

• Advertisement

That cabinet looks in great nick already! What size is the screen?

Think it's a 20 inch monitor. Can't find my measuring tape at the minute.

I flipped the front panel over the other day and discovered that one of the switches was loose and I popped it back in (which showed me that only 1 button on each player doesn't work - the hard kick on SF2). I'm no expert, but the thing looks like it's been butchered over the years, wires hanging loose, connecters bent out of shape. Dr Quirkey (who I bought the machine from a few years back) has lot to answer for! I'm surprised the machine still works, kinda like Frankenstein's monster really!!

I'm gonna try to find a camera so I can take a photos of the insides so you guys can see what I'm dealing with.

If the monitor is working then the rest is easy!

Remove the old harness and replace with this.

Get new pushbuttons

Then finally to here for some new art work

It's no harm taking a hoover to the cab and replacing any screw that have rust etc.

LoGiE

Hi,

Thakns for thos links.

I've atached some photos of the inside of my caninet (reckon I'll have to do it over a few posts.).

DSC02218.JPG

DSC02219.JPG

DSC02220.JPG

DSC02221.JPG

DSC02222.JPG

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭purplec

you should contact mitch if you are looking for parts as he can usually get them at good prices rather spending a small fortune.

I picked up some nice artwork of him recently and it was quite reasonable.

On that note if anyone is looking for a project NAOMI cab please let me know as I might have one soon.

Advertisement