Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Reputable breeders"

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Interesting how different breeders that breed dogs and cats differ.
    Most reputable pedigree cat breeders wont let a kitten go unless its spayed or neutered, vaccinated and often chipped too. would be a great idea for people buying puppies as purely pets.
    Lots of people I know or have heard of have got a pup as a pet only to find when it reaches heat age that its almost immediately preggers after every dog in the neighbourhood chases it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

bullylover wrote: »
    a good breeder will have the necessary tests done for both parents (hips, elbows, eyes, ears, heart etc). They will have full history of both parents and they will give a life time support for the new owner.
    Theres not many of them in ireland, and the IKC is a joke. They are only interested in money making rather then bettering breeding.
    I agree that breeds like pugs (cork tail) shouldnt be bred. Same with Rodashan Ridgebacks its for fashion they have the ridge yet detramental to their health. If you look at breeds from jst 50yrs ago they have little or no resemblence to todays so called "standard". Sorry but i have a bee in my bonnet about this!
    People in ireland should not be allowed register pups with the necessary health checks. But the IKC will never do that, so people who are buying dogs will jst have to continue paying HUGE vet bills for poorly bred dogs, but at least they will be IKC reg.
    Oh and i apoligise for my spelling!:)
    ::rant over::

Sorry but i have to disagree with you on that one. I own and show rottweilers and i know a lot of other people in the show scene, that all health test their dogs before breeding, myself included and they are all very responsible breeders that find only the best homes for their dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

sligopark wrote: »
    What if I were to get into breeding a dog because I got into the breed so to speak. I investigated lines, faults etc and decided to get 'into it'
    and breed good quality pups not for the money but to provide good quality pups to give to like minded folk?

I could register the progeny with the UK KC (am I right the Irish KC is a joke?)

This is only a theoretical post since I have only a while back got a terrier bitch which I admit I love (full breed UK KC reg good lines) and I am enjoying her so much I might breed her in the future to give my folks a few pups (which they have asked for).

My problem is that before I got this pup (I did for free) my advice to folk was go to rescue centres and so I am now in conflict....

I don't understand why a few posters in this thread are holding the UK KC up as a paragon, and putting the IKC down so much. That programme, Pedigree Dogs Exposed wasn't in Ireland, that was in the UK, their kennel club are, in my opinion no better than ours. They have recently changed the colours that siberian huskies are allowed to be registered as, taking a lot of known and accepted colours out. The breed standard for sibes accepts all colours, but now you can't register an agouti as that, how does that work?:confused:

I totally agree that health testing should be mandatory, but if the IKC tried to implement that, all that would happen is that another registery would be set up, without that restriction. There is already another breed registery in Ireland that doesn't have the same restrictions that the IKC has. People buy a pup thinking its registered and has papers, yes, it does, but not IKC ones, but they don't know that, they just get papers and are happy.

Education of the dog buying public is definitely the key.

In my opinion, no dog from a working breed should be allowed to be a champion until it has proved itself at work as well as in the show ring. Now okay, I'm not sure how that could happen with the Ridgebacks, as there aren't many lions in Ireland for it to fight:D, but dogs such as huskies, labradors, spaniels, collies etc should have to show they are truly fit for purpose before they are champions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

ISDW wrote: »
    I don't understand why a few posters in this thread are holding the UK KC up as a paragon, and putting the IKC down so much. That programme, Pedigree Dogs Exposed wasn't in Ireland, that was in the UK, their kennel club are, in my opinion no better than ours. They have recently changed the colours that siberian huskies are allowed to be registered as, taking a lot of known and accepted colours out. The breed standard for sibes accepts all colours, but now you can't register an agouti as that, how does that work?:confused:

I just want to clarify that I am not holding up the KC as a paragon, I know very little about them and have never had any dealings with them, I might well have have the same opinion of them if I knew more.

Education of the dog buying public is definitely the key.

I agree, but still the IKC are in one of the best positions to do this yet they do very little.

Someone has pointed out that the IKC is still a business and has to be run as such. Let's not forget that they are also a monopoly, no other business would last 2 minutes if they adopted the IKC's customer service policies. The other 'registry' mentioned in this thread is a complete farce specifically set up as a way of justifying the breeding of non-breeds and such like, they give out microchips which can't be registered anywhere or tracked to anyone, it's a complete scam from start to finish and can't be viewed as competition or an alternative to the IKC by any stretch of the imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Someone has pointed out that the IKC is still a business and has to be run as such. Let's not forget that they are also a monopoly, no other business would last 2 minutes if they adopted the IKC's customer service policies. The other 'registry' mentioned in this thread is a complete farce specifically set up as a way of justifying the breeding of non-breeds and such like, they give out microchips which can't be registered anywhere or tracked to anyone, it's a complete scam from start to finish and can't be viewed as competition or an alternative to the IKC by any stretch of the imagination.

I totally agree with you, but to most people, who are uneducated about this, they don't realise that. They get a dog with papers and so think that their dog is properly registered.

As the IKC is surely made up of dog owners, people who breed and show, the only way to change it is from the inside isn't it? I'm not a fan of the IKC, or any kennel club really, but if I wanted to buy a pedigree dog, I would make sure it was registered with a national kennel club. I would also do a lot of research into the lines of the dog, and the breeder, but thats now, I know so much more than I did when I bought my first Sibe. She's not registered, but someone in the UK tracked her pedigree for me, and she is actually from brilliant working lines, and someone who really knows their sibes asked me where she was from because she looks so good, the first time he saw her. Whereas my UK KC registered boy, who I love dearly, would never win any shows because he's too big, his tail is too curly and a few other things about him:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I totally agree with you, but to most people, who are uneducated about this, they don't realise that. They get a dog with papers and so think that their dog is properly registered.

As the IKC is surely made up of dog owners, people who breed and show, the only way to change it is from the inside isn't it? I'm not a fan of the IKC, or any kennel club really, but if I wanted to buy a pedigree dog, I would make sure it was registered with a national kennel club. I would also do a lot of research into the lines of the dog, and the breeder, but thats now, I know so much more than I did when I bought my first Sibe. She's not registered, but someone in the UK tracked her pedigree for me, and she is actually from brilliant working lines, and someone who really knows their sibes asked me where she was from because she looks so good, the first time he saw her. Whereas my UK KC registered boy, who I love dearly, would never win any shows because he's too big, his tail is too curly and a few other things about him:D

I see your point. Perhaps someday someone will have the inclination to create a registry that is superior to the IKC's standards, perhaps with health testing and IKC registration amongst other things as requirements for entry with no 'automatic entry' because of lines etc. I guess that would make for over expensive pups though on the flip side which comes back to more money in the pockets of the less vigilant due to supply & demand. Oh dear how frustrating :(

Right, I'm off to punch something!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Nollipop

I am looking for boarding kennels for my two dogs for June. Very spoilt. One is a cocker spaniel,other is a cavacon (half bichon, half cavalier). 3 years and 1 years old. this will be their 1st time away from home. any advice would be appreciated. I live in Dublin, so Kildare, Meath of Wicklow areas would suit if I found the right person.

Have a look at www.pawshotel.ie.

They are technically a 'kennels' but its more like being at home for the dogs. They have their own 'lodge' and get to sleep as a pack. You'd need full vaccs though before you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭aigster

Breeders who show to a high standard do atleast show an investment of sorts in the animal but as the thread mentions responsable.... I'm sick of seeing adds on ... Can I say the name , Ok a site begining with d ending with an l..,
    pups ready for 23d December .... This type of deliberAte blatant commercial breeding we can do without....

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

In my opinion, no dog from a working breed should be allowed to be a champion until it has proved itself at work as well as in the show ring. Now okay, I'm not sure how that could happen with the Ridgebacks, as there aren't many lions in Ireland for it to fight:D, but dogs such as huskies, labradors, spaniels, collies etc should have to show they are truly fit for purpose before they are champions.
    Labradors do have to prove this, spaniels as well as far as I know all gundogs. A dog that does not have its Field qualifier can only use the title Show Champion any with the title Champion has proven they can retrieve shot game, swim, get over fences etc in a Field Trial. In the past there have also been Dual Champions, who were both Field trial and Show champions. And someone said earlier that pedigree dogs from 80 years ago do not look like the ones now. http://www.labradornet.com/famebanchorybolo.html is fully recognisable as a Labrador, born in 1915.
    So why no more Dual champions? Field trial is now a lot about speed, and show dogs tend to lack that, but FT champions need a show award at a championship show just as show champions need an award at Field Trial.

Sorry I know this is a big of a rant but I really feel one of the best things about Labs is that their breed standard is all about ensuring their health and ability to do the job they were originally designed for.

Advertisement