Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting Condensation out of Rear Light

• 16-01-2011 4:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a fair bit of condensation in one of my rear light clusters. It's typical of the car for this to happen. I have it on the radiator at the moment and that's doing the job (it did before on a different one before I replaced it).

My question is, does anyone have any ideas as to how I can wipe the condensation off without taking the whole thing apart which means having to bake it? The only access to the inside lens is through 3 small holes where the bulbs go in. Not enough space to work with when it comes to getting clothes in, especially since the condensation is at the top of the unit and holes are in the middle.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What car is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Oh jaysus don't let Test Transmission hear you ask that haha

It's a Mazda RX-8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Is there a tiny hole in it or is it a design fault?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

Use a hairdryer. Remove the bulbholders and point it in through the 3 openings. Less than 5 minutes should do the trick. Keep the dryer on low heat setting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If it's a small crack or faulty or poorly seated seal then any condensation you remove will return. What you need to do is determine where the condensation is getting in and seal it up.

Be sure that the bulb holder is correctly seated when you refit it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Use the hairdryer as suggested on low heat. Don't melt the housing like I did with another car. :rolleyes:

If that doesn't help and the condensation returns do what I did which was get some kitchen paper and stuff it in the seal where you connect the cluster back to the assembly and see does the condensation return.

Mine never did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Take out the bulbs, tape up all but one bulb opening, pop in a bag of silica gel overnight, tape up the hole. Take it all apart in the morning and take out the silica gel. If the condensation gets back in, go looking for a reason - leaky seal,etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Is there a tiny hole in it or is it a design fault?

It's a design fault which was never covered by warranty (not that I had one anyway)
    unfit2006 wrote: »
    Use a hairdryer. Remove the bulbholders and point it in through the 3 openings. Less than 5 minutes should do the trick. Keep the dryer on low heat setting.

I did this but instead of a hairdryer, I popped it on a radiator for a while. It cleared the condensation and hasn't returned since.
    crosstownk wrote: »
    If it's a small crack or faulty or poorly seated seal then any condensation you remove will return. What you need to do is determine where the condensation is getting in and seal it up.

Be sure that the bulb holder is correctly seated when you refit it.

It gets in all over the place but in one area in particular. I was considering using a silicon sealant along the fit line but I'd rather not in case it doesn't sit back onto the car properly.
    Take out the bulbs, tape up all but one bulb opening, pop in a bag of silica gel overnight, tape up the hole. Take it all apart in the morning and take out the silica gel. If the condensation gets back in, go looking for a reason - leaky seal,etc.

Can't do this man. When the cluster is out, it's very easy for water to leak into the boot. Can't take that chance living in this country!
    Berty wrote: »
    Use the hairdryer as suggested on low heat. Don't melt the housing like I did with another car. :rolleyes:

If that doesn't help and the condensation returns do what I did which was get some kitchen paper and stuff it in the seal where you connect the cluster back to the assembly and see does the condensation return.

Mine never did.

The whole cluster is 1 unit and can't be taken apart. The only movable things in it are the bulbs.

I have removed the condensation and it's not back now at least. It only started getting in during the cold snap. Never was there before so I'm hopeful it won't return at least not to the degree it was there this time.

Thanks to everyone for the replies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Leave the cluster in though, just take the bulbs out from the rear? Or is there something in the RX-8 I'm not aware of ... there could well be!

Advertisement