Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Star Wars Novels

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

Kindle is weird, It all depends on your location in your amazon account. If you list an Irish address, you get a certain amount of a selection. If you list a UK address, you get slightly more of a selection (I think that was the case anyway, you have to shop in the .co.uk store for both regardless) but if you change your address to a makey uppey US address, you get a far better selection. You then have to shop in the .com store though. I had to flip between them there at christmas time as I got 2 vouchers, one from .co.uk and one from .com stores and that was the only way I could use my vouchers for Kindle.

The book depository has a very good selection of Star Wars books, free and fairly fast delivery. I nearly always buy from there when I'm buying a physical book.

I really enjoyed the Bane books, got all of them in paperback. There's also a load of new old republic books published recently, including one for Revan. I'm currently reading Fatal Alliance, which I'm enjoying.

"Death Troopers" was fantastic, I really enjoyed reading it. Different from the normal theme you get in Star Wars
    Plus the characters you find locked up in the cells put a huge smile on my face :D

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Death_Troopers

250px-Deathtroopers.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

bubblefett wrote: »
    Just wondering, what's the selection like for SW books on kindle and the likes? Book shops nearly me have a tiny selection and I'm impacient when it comes to ordering online. Is it only the newer titles available or is there a decent selection of older titles? I've barely made a dent into the world of star wars books so would be reading back a bit.

Decent enough selection, i actually just bought my first starwars kindle book today. On the old ones you're better buying the books on bulk, dunno what it is about starwars titles but they ain't exactly cheap on kindle, you'd save some quid buying from amazon or the book depository.

Be careful with the old books i've pretty much read them all and there are some real stinkers out there, then again i didn't really like the bane books, thought the graphic novel that it was taken from was better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I enjoyed Yoda: Dark Rendevous, delves a bit into Yoda and Dookus broken relationship as well as following some Jedi initiates/padawans.

So i finished the fate of the jedi series, a bit meh, good in places but meh over all. Can't see where they're going to go from here, luke, han leia etc are 60=70 years old now and they don't seem to be willing to kill off anyone.

I'm afraid the books will never reach the high of some of the NJO books, star by star, destinys way, enemy lines and traitor(awesome book) were great books, none of the nest, legacy or fate books came near those.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭darklighter

Will be interesting how they deal with the passing of the main characters. They must be nearing the stage now where the timeline from the novels is near the Legacy comics

Will be interesting how they deal with the passing of the main characters. They must be nearing the stage now where the timeline from the novels is near the Legacy comics
    Actually the dark man fighting abeloth with luke at the end, that was krayt right? IF they do go down that timeline they're still a good bit off(40-50 years) because i'm presuming cade is ben's grandson.

3 series on and no yuuzhan vong pisses me off especially with them being central to the war in legacy

• Registered Users Posts: 45 boarder294

with this thread it makes wanna read again star wars.... and have the force

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

It will be interesting to see what they do regarding their deaths: will they go out in a blaze of glory or fade away?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

What Star War Comics are worth getting? I'm thinking of getting Star Wars A New Hope Manga but they're pretty expensive when you consider that there's 4 volumes. I really want them though.

Tales of the jedi, dark empire, crimson empire, legacy, the clone war books. First 3 are old so could be hard to find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I'm a huge book-reader anyway, but I never read any of the Star Wars novels (apart from the novellisations of the films), but did read a lot of book on Star Wars (Essential Guides, Cross-Sections, etc.). My cousin always maintained I should read them, but for some reason I never did.

So I relented and ordered the Thrawn Trilogy today over ebay. Think it cost me about €10... Nice!

Hopefully it'll be good!

Its one of the good ones, quite good actually, but be careful there's some stinkers out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Seph503

DazMarz wrote: »
    I'm a huge book-reader anyway, but I never read any of the Star Wars novels (apart from the novellisations of the films), but did read a lot of book on Star Wars (Essential Guides, Cross-Sections, etc.). My cousin always maintained I should read them, but for some reason I never did.

So I relented and ordered the Thrawn Trilogy today over ebay. Think it cost me about €10... Nice!

Hopefully it'll be good!

You're in for a treat. The Thrawn Trilogy is excellent IMO, great new characters, political intrigue, well thought out over-arching story, the works really. I remember when reading it at the time that if there was ever to be an Episode 7,8 and 9 these are the stories I'd want them to be based on.

Not now though, nothing to do with the age of the actors, I just wouldn't trust Lucas :P

Good stuff, glad to hear I'm in for liking these books. I like thrillers/political-thrillers/techno-thrillers anyway. I'm actually not mad into SciFi, but I love Star Wars, so hopefully anyway.

I'll probably drop back in before I buy any other Star Wars Expanded Universe novels and see what the consensus is on whether they're any good or not before I buy them!

• Advertisement

Really loved the Clone War and Tales of the Jedi.

Hopefully it'll be good!

The Thrawn Trilogy is excellent - the characters introduced in it such as Mara Jade, Talon Karrde, Gilad Pellaeon, and Thrawn are the best created in the expanded universe. I envy reading form for the first time, you are in for a treat!

Hopefully it'll be good!

The Thrawn Trilogy is excellent - the characters introduced in it such aa Mara Jade, Talon Karrde, Gilad Pellaeon, and Thrawn are the best created in the expanded universe. I envy you reading them for the first time, you are in for a treat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Said it before in this thread but the x-wing series are some of the best star wars books out there, some brilliant characters in them, dont think i can count how many times ive read the wraith squadron set and starfighters of adumar is brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Just finished Darth Plageius, probably my first step into the EU since I read the Thrawn Triology years ago, while it's not really gripping it is decent and fills in a lot of stuff which bugged me about Episode 1, such as why Palpatine was in such a position to become supreme chancellor and why the civil war plan was so complicated.

It also provides a good reasoning for Anakin's immaculate conception making him either
    a creation of Plageuis' mingling with the force or a creation of the force to restore balance after a shift towards the Dark Side. I prefer the former.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

I just re read the Thrawn Trilogy for the first since they first came out :D what wonderful story telling.. Now just about to go back and read my Kevin J Anderson books :D

I'm about half-way through Heir To The Empire at the moment... and wow. It's brilliant! Really well written; I can practically 'hear' the characters reciting their dialogue, can 'see' the landscapes and imagery that is described. It is also a lot more mature and 'adult' than I had expected.

Can't wait to get on and get the whole lot read!

Just finished Heir To The Empire, and I've started into Dark Force Rising.

Absolutely excellent books. And you actually want to root for Thrawn throughout, because he just seems so badass and seems like he would have been a brilliant leader of the Empire and the galaxy at large, despite being essentially evil. He makes effective use of what resources he has (the Empire here in the years after the Battle of Endor is but a shadow of its former self and its former glory).

Seriously cannot put these books down!

Always love the Tales of Jedi... haven't finished The Thrawn Trilogy yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Thrawn

I bought the Thrawn trilogy on audio book for Christmas I can't believe it is twenty years since I first read them. Listening to them has given my the plan to read them again,

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

the thrawn trilogy and i,jedi are among the better reads.a couple of the darth maul ones are good too
    i enjoyed the lost tribe of the sith books too

my favourite is the darth bane trilogy.my favourite sith by far and a good origin of the rule of two line that ends with vader.imo these should be made into movies/mini series

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Well after a long delay I finally got around to reading the Thrawn Trilogy.
    Followed by Kevin J Andersons jedi academy trilogy, introduces some new jedi, the first 4 of stackpoles X-wing books, introduces alot of non jedi characters. Then start the new jedi order

Would the above suggestion still be valid or what would people suggest next ?

For years I've wanted to read the EU and now I'm finally getting round to it.

Read the Thrawn Trilogy years ago (and a few re-reads - still fantastic) and over the last few months have gone through Jedi Academy Trilogy (really enjoyed it) and have finished the first 5 X-Wings (which are absolutely must reads I think). Going to move onto Black Fleet Crisis next moreso just to take a break from X-Wing and then Thrawn Duology I think.

amen wrote: »
    Well after a long delay I finally got around to reading the Thrawn Trilogy.

Would the above suggestion still be valid or what would people suggest next ?

I would suggest reading them in chronological order, so that would start with the xwing novels, then the jedi academy trilogy, followed by I Jedi (which was written after the academy books but has characters from the xwing books and several parts take place during the academy story) then go onto the NJO.
    Just about the x-wing books i would advise going through the first seven as in my opinion the 3 written by aaron allston(books 5-7) are actually better than 1-4 but they are all still excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

While I've put off reading for the last while I can't motivate myself to go back to Apocalypse, the whole
    Abeloth and the Ones
    is extremely stupid.

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    While I've put off reading for the last while I can't motivate myself to go back to Apocalypse, the whole
    Abeloth and the Ones
    is extremely stupid.

Yeah i gave up after the end of legacy of the force, but im pretty tempted to try the new wraith squadron book Mercy Kill as im a big fan of wraith squadron and Aaron Allston. Anyone given it a go?

got the last jedi by michael reaves.i think its part 4 of the coruscant nights series

VinLieger wrote: »
    I would suggest reading them in chronological order, so that would start with the xwing novels, then the jedi academy trilogy, followed by I Jedi (which was written after the academy books but has characters from the xwing books and several parts take place during the academy story) then go onto the NJO.
    Just about the x-wing books i would advise going through the first seven as in my opinion the 3 written by aaron allston(books 5-7) are actually better than 1-4 but they are all still excellent

Yeah finished up Solo Command yesterday (read it in a day) and thought it was fantastic. 5,6 & 7 of X-Wing were really good in fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭Twigster

Only read x-wing 1-4 so far, Just re-reading the jedi academy trilogy again before i start on the new jedi order series, read mixed reviews about them but looking forward to reading them, when i get the chance!

Twigster wrote: »
    Only read x-wing 1-4 so far, Just re-reading the jedi academy trilogy again before i start on the new jedi order series, read mixed reviews about them but looking forward to reading them, when i get the chance!

I wouldnt jump into the NJO yet theres still way better stuff that predates it in chronological order and introduces a load of characters that pop up frequently in the NJO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭Twigster

VinLieger wrote: »
    I wouldnt jump into the NJO yet theres still way better stuff that predates it in chronological order and introduces a load of characters that pop up frequently in the NJO

Meant with regards x wing I've only read 1-4, read the thrawn trilogy, spectre of the past, vision of the future and a couple of others, i still found reading the books in chronological order that unless you read all the graphic novels as well there was some major plots missed.

Twigster wrote: »
    Meant with regards x wing I've only read 1-4, read the thrawn trilogy, spectre of the past, vision of the future and a couple of others, i still found reading the books in chronological order that unless you read all the graphic novels as well there was some major plots missed.

I didnt really notice it tbh, the only major one is the dark empire plot with the reborn emperor i thought.
    If you havent give I Jedi a bash as well very good read based on corran horn and brings in some of the jedi academy trilogy as well, also considering the Solo kids are a massive part of the NJO might be an idea to do the correllian trilogy too. Ill always advise anyone to read x-wing 5-7 as well just because i love them so much and the Wraiths do pop up 1-2 times in the NJO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

OK Thrawn Trilogy and Jedi academy trilogy read.

So I should go for the Xwing 1-7 books next ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

amen wrote: »
    OK Thrawn Trilogy and Jedi academy trilogy read.

So I should go for the Xwing 1-7 books next ?

I'd suggest reading X-Wing 1-4, then I, Jedi. That'll certainly give you a good understanding of Corran Horn!

Finally reading Darth Plagueis, loving it. Palpatine is my favourite SW character and there's plenty of him in it. Luceno pulls so many elements together seemlessly.

Is Revan any good? I've heard mixed things, but I'm a big KOTOR fan.

• Advertisement

+1 on the x-wing series, especially the Wraith Squadron books.

Anyone if the Dark Empire Comics are available on Kindle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Kilkenny14 wrote: »
    Anyone if the Dark Empire Comics are available on Kindle?

Yep: http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Empire-Edition-ebook/dp/B00A820TFG/ref=pd_sim_kstore_1

Finished Darth Plagueis last week. Interesting how the timing of events works out and it's fascinating to read things from Palpatine's perspective.

Now I want to get back into the EU! I read the first Bane book a few years (Path of Destruction) and I might finish that trilogy. I'm thinking I'd like Revan and Deceived as well, but I might get all Sith'd (and Old Republic'd) out.

With the New Republic, I've read to the end of the NJO. Can I jump straight into Legacy of the Force?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 listen_lady

You might wanna skip the Darth Bane trilogy and "Revan". Drew Karpyshyn is a competent if somewhat uninspired writer, especially if you've just read "Darth Plagueis".

I could've done without the hundred or so occurrences of the words "monad" and "Forceful", though.

You might wanna skip the Darth Bane trilogy .

wha???:eek: are you loco.definately one of the best reads

wha???:eek: are you loco.definately one of the best reads

I just thought they could've gotten a better author to write it, is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I just thought they could've gotten a better author to write it, is all.

The story was great, though it ended rather quickly. The author was adequate, but just about. I listened to the first two on audiobook, which made it a bit easier. The third was a bit of a slog to read.

Anyone read Crucible yet?

• Advertisement

chrislad wrote: »
    Anyone read Crucible yet?

I thought about getting it but the reviews on Amazon did not a pretty picture paint. So I got the first "Coruscant Nights" book instead.

Anyone read the new X-Wing book?

Am now up to Children of the Jedi in my EU read through. Not gonna lie, struggling quite a bit.

Can I just skip this and Darksaber and move onto the next X-Wing? I assume nothing overly major is gonna happen that will affect the grand scheme of things in the EU.

Seph503 wrote: »
    Am now up to Children of the Jedi in my EU read through. Not gonna lie, struggling quite a bit.

Can I just skip this and Darksaber and move onto the next X-Wing? I assume nothing overly major is gonna happen that will affect the grand scheme of things in the EU.

Yes your better off, both absolutely useless books, also you could probably skip planet of twilight and the crystal star when your done with Starfighters of Adumar, which BTW is AWESOME!!!!

I thought about getting it but the reviews on Amazon did not a pretty picture paint. So I got the first "Coruscant Nights" book instead.

Anyone read the new X-Wing book?

I did, and I really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

Who here could give me a list, or a link to a list of all the SW novels in publication order?

I've actually been putting off reading any as I just wouldn't know where to start. I know I could just go back and read them in chronological order, but I think it might be better if I tried reading them in the order they were first published.

• Advertisement
Advertisement