Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest call card

Options
  • 16-01-2011 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭

My brother's out near Perth, and was wondering what's the cheapest call card for either me or my parents to ring him or the other way round. skype isn't an option as my parents don't have broadband, and all i have is o2 mobile bb, which has a high lag when calling Oz.

we'd be ringing his mobile but he'd be ringing from a payphone. we've tried first national but we weren't getting much minutes with it for the price we paid.

he mentioned something about a local access number he used to ring to talk to us and all he would pay for was the cost of the call to that number. the line was awful bad, so i couldn't get more info out of him. anyone have an idea about this?

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

I assume your Brother has Broadband.

My Sister lives in Sydney and has the following setup for over 4 yrs

1. Create an account on www.blueface.ie ,

2. Get an ATA such as http://shop.ebay.com.au/i.html?_nkw=ata+linksys&_sacat=0&_odkw=ata&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313
    and Plug a Standard Cordless Phone into it and configure it with his blueface username and password.

The result is an Irish Geograpic Number , Her number is 091 444*** , So my 74 yr old Mother can call her if and when she likes and there is no messing with Skype /PC's etc. etc,

It is really easy to setup and has stood the test of time over the last 4 yrs.

BTW It's a really portable solution , My nephew has used the setup in 3 Countries and is now in Canada after using the same Hardware/Irish Number previously in USA & Australia

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭lachin

I use talkxtra callcard, I ring my sis in Perth, it works out as €10 for 50 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

whiteman19 wrote: »
    My brother's out near Perth, and was wondering what's the cheapest call card for either me or my parents to ring him or the other way

I use http://www.call13434.ie/info.php this for when making calls to Austraila and other friends abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

galait wrote: »
    I assume your Brother has Broadband.
    He doesn't. There is a library near him where he uses the internet, but he didn't bring his laptop out with him, and he's doing farm work atm, so a internet connection is hard to come by.
    lachin wrote: »
    I use talkxtra callcard, I ring my sis in Perth, it works out as €10 for 50 mins
    i was getting that with first national, but i was hoping for something with more value - i just found this which is offering 270 mins for €10 :eek: but i'm not sure where they sell this.
    Vanbis wrote: »
    I use http://www.call13434.ie/info.php this for when making calls to Austraila and other friends abroad.
    i'll look into that, though are they secure with payments? i've only a Laser card, and am always a bit dubious about giving over details on the internet, especially when haven't heard of them.

thanks for the responses :)
    has anyone any info on what call cards my brother could get in Oz?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

i'll look into that, though are they secure with payments? i've only a Laser card, and am always a bit dubious about giving over details on the internet, especially when haven't heard of them.

I've used them now for the last 18months and have never had a problem with payment so to me its secure and cheap ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

skype isn't an option as my parents don't have broadband
    ORLY? :pac:

http://www.skype.com/intl/en/features/allfeatures/skype-to-go-number/
    all i have is o2 mobile bb, which has a high lag when calling Oz.
    using 3 myself to video chatup the gf in SA, it can get a bit **** at times but it work perfect most of the time. Same with my dad when i was in aus last. If you were to do just audio you'd be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

ORLY? :pac:

http://www.skype.com/intl/en/features/allfeatures/skype-to-go-number/

using 3 myself to video chatup the gf in SA, it can get a bit **** at times but it work perfect most of the time. Same with my dad when i was in aus last. If you were to do just audio you'd be grand.
    the o2 bb isn't a problem when i'm in galway, but my parents live where there's a shítty signal so that's the problem. over christmas it was horrific trying to get talking to him.

was actually thinking of buying a tesco phone - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056154964 - and using that.
    seems to be cheaper than skype (which is ~19c/min ex VAT) while tesco is only 12c/min to mobiles in Oz. will do us grand til he comes home in april :)

thanks for all the help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 catherinemel

RE: TalkXtra.ie... This is not a reply but rather, it is an update to WARN people! Ok...is anyone else having problems with TalkXtra.ie? I had an account with them for a few years and when I tried to use my account recently, it said that my balance was zero! I called the number provided on their website (N.B. I had to call them because it seems you can NO LONGER contact them by email?!?!). When I EVENTUALLY got through, I told them that I had between €18-€20 left on my credit. So they then told me to contact them by email and provided me with an email address. BUT, when I sent the email to that address, the email was returned to me saying that the email address was a non-existent email address!!! The following day, I tried to call them back on the number I rang the previous day i.e. the 1800 number they provide on their website, it did not even ring i.e. it does not ring out or even ring at all but rather the call picks up and the minutes tick away but there is nobody at the other end of the line. It all seems a scam! Has anyone else had similar problems or any suggestions? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

i know its not a call card but the missus signed up to a deal optus have on at the moment, $100pm and unlimited international calls for selected countries, of which ireland is one. service isnt as good as Telstra but she was spending a $hit lot more on credit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Please don't dig up zombie threads. If your information is relevant you can start a new thread.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement