Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st time fish tank advice

Options
  • 16-01-2011 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I was thinking of getting a fish tank and getting some really small fish to put in it. Saw some in maxi zoo, can't think of their name but they are little shimmering fish that cost 2.80 each.

Anyway, Before I buy, can anyone tell me how the filter on the tank works? Do you have to keep it plugged in 24/7? Wanna avoid raising our elec bil. If we choose to get a tank without a filter, how often would you have to change the water?

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭mcdoogle

You'd need a filter running on the tank at all times but don't worry they don't cost too much to run. They're needed to keep a flow in the tank and also to remove debris from the water - effectively cleaning it.

If you are getting tropical fish you would also need to get a heater - again wont cost the earth to run.

Asking someone in your local fish shop is probably the best way to research the fish you want and their needs. If you are getting fish you should read the sticky on cycling the tank before going on a spending spree.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Alkers

mcdoogle wrote: »

Asking someone in your local fish shop is probably the best way to research the fish you want and their needs. If you are getting fish you should read the sticky on cycling the tank before going on a spending spree.

If you do listen to the people in the pet store, run it by the forum first, not all pet stores know anything about keeping fish and fish forums all over the web are full of people who have been misinformed by their local pet store.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Senor Willy

Click in this link. You will learn all you need to know here.

http://www.irishfishforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=321

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Thanks for the advice lads, i have some thinking to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice lads, i have some thinking to do!

Talk to kevin in the pet shop castletroy shopping center, he is the best in limerick and only deals with fish and reptiles :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement