Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supervalu !

Options
  • 16-01-2011 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I am not sure if I am posting in the right forum but here goes -
    I do not shop much in Supervalu but I was in Raheny last week and I bought 2 punnets of mixed red and green seedless grapes as they were advertised at €3.50 each or 2 for €5. When I arrived home I noticed that I was charged €7. I gritted my teeth and put it down to experience.
    I happened to be in the centre again today as I had to collect something in Xtravision so I nipped in to Supervalu to price the grapes and sure enough they were still advertising the €5 euro price and charging €7 euro.
    When I raised this I was advised that the €5 for two punnets only applied to red or green grapes on their own but not red and green grapes mixed in the same punnet. I pointed out that the advertisement said "red, green grapes" not red or green grapes but the manager stuck to his guns and said the advertising was fine.
    I know it is only €2 euro but I hate the idea of sharp advertising like this. Rant over!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The advertised deal doesn't sound clear. I would lodge a complaint with the ASAI

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

The Dunnes Stores by the Grafton Arcade had a deal vaguely similar a few months ago. They had strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and grapes on a table and a sign saying "€3.50 each. 2 for €5" However on closer inspection it applied to 2 punnets of berries, so excluded the grapes. I wonder how many people picked up one punnet of grapes and one of berries and only discovered the small print at the counter. Or at home.

Of course in this case there was small print so it was up to the customer to check the details of the deal. If SuperValu didn't have it in writing that the offer of €5 for two punnets only applied to red or green grapes on their own then that seems deliberately misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

These offers are really a consumer minefield, always read the small print carefully. It's a bit of a scam in my book!

Another scam is where a product on a shelf has a price displayed but the price is above the wrong product if you know what i mean!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Daisy!

I've personally stopped shopping in Supervalu because of the number of times I've bought things that say "2 for 1" to find on my receipt I was charged the full price. I go back and get the usual "Oh that offer has just ended" excuse. They leave the signs up for days after the offer ends. I've heard so many people give out about them regarding things like this. Keep clear if possible.

Advertisement