Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blue Stilton Cheese

Options
  • 16-01-2011 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Strange one maybe, I have a packet of stilton to use up. Just looking for ideas on what to do with it, apart from just eating it. Anyone use it in soups or would it be too strong for that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Broccoli and Stilton goes very well together in soup.

Could also use it in salads, it goes well with figs or walnuts.

Makes a nice pasta sauce or a steak sauce too, it is quite strong but once you use it sparingly it doesn't overpower everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Lovely on a pizza ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

A really simple way of cooking it is with pasta, cream & bacon.

While you're cooking the pasta, fry some sliced rashers until nice & browned, then add some butter, crumble in the cheese & let it melt, then add some cream to make a sauce.

When the pasta's done, chuck it into the sauce & serve.

It's lovely & takes about 15 mins to prep & make.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

I do a similar pasta dish to the one above but use steak strips and no cream, just some milk and bit of pasta water to thicken it. I throw some broccolli into the pasta for the last few mins of cooking. Ad then mix it all together!

So actually not that similar at all anymore....:o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Make a nice homemade burger and melt the cheese on top. omnomnomnomnom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭midgej

Fry strips of seasoned beef and add them & the stilton to a salad...yum
    Starving now!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

Oh that reminds me actually, this salad is amazing. Its blatantly stolen from somewhere but i cant remember for the life of me. Its really filling and good for winter time too. The colours in look great.

Serves: 2
    Cooking and preparation
    • Preparations time: 30 minutes
    • Cooking time: 15 minutes

Ingredients
    • For the beef
    • 2 x 150g/5oz sirloin steaks
    • vegetable oil, for brushing
    • salt and freshly ground black pepper

• For the salad
    • 1 head baby gem lettuce
    • 6 ripe cherry tomatoes
    • 1 red onion
    • 3 small chopped beetroots
    • 1 red pepper
    • Cubed gorgonzola
    • 8 steamed baby potatoes quartered
    • handful fresh coriander

• For the dressing
    • Balsamic vinegar
    • 1 teaspoon sugar
    • Olive oil

Method
    1. Caramelise the red onion in sugar, butter and oil.

2. For the beef, brush the steaks with oil and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Heat a ridged griddle pan until smoking, then add the steaks and griddle for 3-6 minutes on each side, or until cooked to your liking. Remove from the heat and leave to rest in a warm place for five minutes.

3. For the salad, finely slice the lettuce and place into a large bowl. Cut the tomatoes into wedges and add to the bowl. Then add chopped pepper, potatoes, caramelised onions, blue cheese, then beef. Drizzle balsamic vinegar over. yumyum

What about a steak and blue cheese ciabatta for lunch? Or add some leaves and homemade wedges for dinner time?

Advertisement