Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question regarding Back tax?

• 16-01-2011 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

A friend of mine has 2 cars:

One which has no NCt or Tax and has been off the road since september.
    The other has NCT and has been taxed since she bought it.

She recently gave the untaxed car to a friend of hers, would he then have to pay all the backtax when he wants to tax the car?

If not, how would they go about not paying the back tax? Garda form? Would a full nct and tax on the other car be sufficient enough proof to say that the other car has been off the road since then?

Any info is much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

It depends on the way she 'gave' the car.

If she did it right, she and her friend would have filled out a transfer of ownership form and sent it to Shannon.
    Her friend would get a new reg hert in their name, and would only be liable for taxes from the date the cert was issued.

If she just handed over the car, then it can't legally be driven until its taxed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

the new owner would simply fill in the relvant part of the tax form and get the gards to witness his signature oin it declaring that he had not used it on the road having just purchased it.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭DjBryn

seen we all pay 70% tax on motor fuel should we even be paying any extra tax??

• Registered Users Posts: 20 hal14

Ha @DjBryn

Don't get this lot started on Tax
    :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

corktina wrote: »
    the new owner would simply fill in the relvant part of the tax form and get the gards to witness his signature oin it declaring that he had not used it on the road having just purchased it.
    No need. As suggested already, if the transfer of ownership document is completed correctly and forwarded to Shannon, the new owner is only liable for tax from the date ownership is registered in his / her name.

The NCT cert can only be issued from the expiry date of the previous one; it has no relationship to the owner(s).

"... Would a full nct and tax on the other car be sufficient enough proof to say that the other car has been off the road since then? ..."

In waht way? Like others here, I have more than one car; tax, NCT and insurance are current on all of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭KingIsabella

Cheers for the replies!

In the way that if i didn't bother paying car tax for a few months and didn't want to pay backtax, i could go up to the guards and claim it wasn't on the road, get my form stamped and out the door happy as larry. I presume they'd want some sort of evidence that the car was off the road to avoid this kind of thing. Would All documentation on the cra shes actually using, and used all these months be enough proof that the car was actually off the road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Cheers for the replies!

In the way that if i didn't bother paying car tax for a few months and didn't want to pay backtax, i could go up to the guards and claim it wasn't on the road, get my form stamped and out the door happy as larry. I presume they'd want some sort of evidence that the car was off the road to avoid this kind of thing. Would All documentation on the cra shes actually using, and used all these months be enough proof that the car was actually off the road?

The Garda signs the form only to record he witnessed you making a declaration, he's not confirming in any way whether you are telling the truth or not.

The council on the other hand may, but most likely will not, require evidence. However just because she has use of a second car does not necessarily prove the first car was genuinely off the road but they'll probably accept it if they even ask.

Advertisement