Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ronnie Runs Riot

• 16-01-2011 6:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭

This is as good a time as any to start my first log. Starting the P&D 18 week (55-70 mile) plan for the Edinburgh marathon tomorrow so hopefully this keeps the motivation up for this and beyond.

Background

I'm 31 years old, 11st 0, 5' 10"
    Started running this time last year and really enjoyed it. Completed few 10Km/ half marathon races during the summer and then made the (probably stupid) decision to go for the Dublin marathon. Lucky enough all went well and completed the training and race injury free.

Present

Training after Dublin went well until Christmas, got bit too festive :D followed by a chest infection so missed 2 weeks. Last 2 weeks
    of slow easy miles. Shocked myself yesterday with PB in Waterford half.

PBs

5Km 21.29
    10Km 43.56
    Half 1.31.40
    Marathon 3.18.41

Goals 2011

Most important to keep enjoying running
    Try to improve diet which can get dodgy
    Sub 3 marathon(Dublin), sub 40 10Km, sub 1.28 half.

Thats all folks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Today

3 miles very easy recovery run

Plan for week

Mon: 9 miles General aerobic (suppose to include 4@ HM pace, Sat looked after that.)
    Tue: 11 mile medium
    Wed: 5 mile recovery/ core
    Thurs: 9 mile general
    Fri: 5 mile recovery
    Sat: 15 mile long
    Sun: Rest/ core

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Best of Luck Ronnie, I may do Edinburgh myself, looks like a nice marathon.
    Nice to meet you yesterday, despite the fact it was in the most difficult part of the course. Conditions weren't condusive to a decent converstation:P
    When you repassed me with a mile to go you pulled about 10 seconds ahead and just stayed there, My legs just weren't letting me put in an extra effort to catch up at that stage.

BTW Those 5 and 10k times look incredibly soft. Any plans to rewrite those?

Thanks menoscemo, it wasn't the best time to have a chat :eek: my legs were screaming at that stage, couldn't stick with you, recovered a bit after that. The last 10k i ran was about 6 months ago so needs updating, hopefully as part of the marathon plan, going to look at the shorter stuff in the summer, all going well

Today: 9.04 miles easy @ 8.03 m/m,

One of them mondays in work, felt sluggish and lazy all day. That all changed after first mile of run. Lovely evening for it, cool but sunny. Legs felt great, the race on Sat must have blown the cobwebs away, was tempted to push a bit harder but decided to stick with planned pace, esp with 11 miler due tomorrow. The week is off to flyer :)

Diet:
    Good apart from evil cream bun at lunch, soo good

MTD 99 miles
    YTD 99 miles

Today: 11.45 miles medium/long run @ 7.30 m/m

Good strong run today over a hilly route.I use heart rate as a guide to hit right intensity and today my pace ended up faster than it felt or heart rate suggested so I'll take that as a good sign, must be getting back to a decent level (for me) after the Christmas "break".

Diet:

No slip ups today, yet

MTD: 110 miles
    YTD: 110 miles

• Advertisement

Today: 5.1 miles recovery @ " v slow pace"

Try not to pay any attention to pace on recovery runs, when i did there was always a little voice in my head telling me to go a little bit faster, a little bit more etc. Now I just keep an eye on my heart rate and keep it below 140 which is about 68% of max. So 5 uneventful, slightly icy, miles around newbridge, getting cold out there again. The only problem with recovery runs is the boredom, might start bringing the ipod on them:o. Did extra stretches instead of the planned core session, back to the gym on Friday.

Diet:

Ok, greasy rasher sambo for brekkie, ah well

MTD 115.2
    YTD 115.2

Today: 9.13 miles easy run @ 7.54 m/m

Legs felt heavy for first 4 miles, tough up and down route probably didn't help, whoever says Kildare is flat is telling lies :p. Got into a nice rhythm as time went on and finished strong. Didn't pay much attention to pace on the run so was happy when i checked the average at the end considering the route and i didn't push to hard, going well this week :)

Diet

No treats today, v good

MTD 124.3
    YTD 124.3

Today: 5.06miles recovery

What a battle to do this one. Tough day in work, got home and all i wanted to do was veg out and go for few pints. About 3 attempts to get changed then gave myself the kick up the ...... i needed. Once i had the gear on was feeling better, straight out the door. Don't really remember much about the run itself, just tipped around at nice easy pace in auto pilot and was home before I knew it, feeling 100 times better.

Diet:
    OK, till my weakness hit, Friday chipper, the guilt, oh the guilt

Today: 15.1 miles long @ 7.31 m/m

Up early and big bowl of porridge, then opened the curtains for look out, as expected, frost. Wrapped up, getting plenty of use out of the free Waterford AC hat this week and out the door. First 2 miles a bit slow, 7.50's, which is normal for me in the mornings, my legs need a little time to wake up. Before long was putting in consistant 7.20's - 7.30's miles within my heart rate limits which i was very happy with. The curragh was like a postcard this morning with the fog, frost and rising red sun, shame i did't have my camera, although wouldn't have had time to take any pictures :p. Finished with another few miles left in the tank. Now to watch Liverpool beat Wolves :pac:

MTD 144.55 miles
    YTD 144.55 miles

Yesterday: Rest day

Today:
    7.83 miles @ 8.30 m/m, strides x 6

Not great today, felt tired, just jogged around at nice even pace, glad to get out though.

Plan for week:

Mon 8 miles easy
    Tue 12 miles medium/long
    Wed 5 miles recovery
    Thurs 9 miles easy
    Fri 5 miles recovery
    Sat 16 miles long incl 8 @ MP:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ronnie085 wrote: »
    Sat 16 miles long incl 8 @ MP:eek:

What's Mp for Edinburgh Ronnie? that 15 @7:30 pace on saturday seems like a hell of a session. Only 30 seconds below HMP :eek:

menoscemo wrote: »
    What's Mp for Edinburgh Ronnie? that 15 @7:30 pace on saturday seems like a hell of a session. Only 30 seconds below HMP :eek:

Yeah., happy how that went, it actually felt very comfortable. After the last weeks training i am starting to think of going for 7.00 m/m. I know i would be pushing it as it is my HMP, but even after just over a week i feel in alot better condition than i was in Waterford. The big worry i have would be getting injured, suppose it will be a matter of listening to what my body is telling me and pull back if i start getting any niggles

Today: 12.13 miles medium, hilly, @ 7.38 m/m

Tough enough day today, pushed it hard going up the hills and recovered on the downhill. First 6 or so miles against a stiff enough breeze which made it harder but felt strong.Second half I eased up and just ran 'steady' home. Felt like AA roadwatch for a little while as 4 people stopped me looking for directions within 20 mins, tested the patience that.

Today: 5.06 miles recovery, slow

Bit stiff today for first couple of miles but felt better as time went on, sure thats what recovery runs are for. Note to self - still to cold to go out without gloves

Today: 9.01 miles easy @ 7.56m/m

Strange first few miles, felt like i was running like a new born giraffe, say it was just getting used to a new pair of runners, first time i wore them in a non-recovery run. Felt good after about 3 miles and got into a nice rhythm, felt like going for another 5, good sign that I'm hungry to get the miles in. Speaking of hunger, diet has being shocking this week, working an evening shift and always seem to get lazy about food when i do it, something i will have to sort out.

Today: 5 mile recovery

Nice calm cool morning for a slow easy jog. Legs felt good, had to pull myself back a couple of times. All set now for a good session tomorrow.

Today: 16.98 miles @ 7.29 m/m incl 8 @ MP

Was a bit nervous about this, the longest I've ran since DCM was 15 mile, so a 16/17 with MP miles stuck in the middle had me a bit worried. So whats the saying, HTFU, out the door with me. First 4 miles at about 7.50 pace then pushed on to MP miles.
    Happy with how they went, probably little to fast as the last mile was a little tougher than it should have being. Slowed down to 8.36 mile then picked the pace back up to 7.50's . Didn't have much left in the tank when i got home. For some reason garmin connect only mapped and graphed as far as mile 12 :mad: but still recorded all the stats thank god. Good week done.

Now Ron sleep zzz :pac:

Today: 11.5 miles easy @ 7.48 m/m

A bit sore and stiff after saturdays session. Normally the legs like that after a rest day anyway so was not to worried. Could feel myself getting stronger as time went on and was flying after 6 miles, although turning out of the headwind helped. Finished feeling good, good end to a good months training.

Plan for week:

Mon: 11 miles easy
    Tue: 13 miles medium/long
    Wed: 5 miles recovery
    Thurs: 9 miles incl 4 @ HMP
    Fri: 5 miles recovery
    Sat: 15 miles long
    Sun: Rest

212 miles in 27 runs.
    Av per run 7.85 miles.
    8 miles @ PMP (7.00 m/m)
    0 miles @ Hm/10k/5k pace

1 Race - Waterford half - 1:31:40 PB

No injury/niggle worries

Today: 13.6 miles, hilly @ 7.36m/m

Real Irish weather this evening, sun, wind, rain and seemed like everything in between. Ran a hilly route today, again slow to get going, dont know if its a sign of tired legs or just warming up slower. Finished strong so not to worried. May buy some more bodyglide, ouch

• Advertisement

Yesterday: 5 miles recovery

Nothing much to report, legs felt grand, body didn't, felt like i had no energy, hopefully I'm not coming down with something.

Today: 9 miles @ 7:53m/m incl 4 miles @HMP

What a horrible evening, thought about doing this for a while, plus still wasn't feeling 100%, "DONT BE SOFT AND GET OUT THE DOOR" and out i went. Couple of 8 m/m to warm up then into the 4 mile tempo. Tried to pick a sheltered route with mostly a crosswind to make the mile splits even enough. First couple of miles fairly comfortable then turned into the wind for a while, hard work to hold my target pace(6:40). Last mile was along a twisty road, hitting a headwind every second turn and the sting in the tail of a short sharp hill to really test me. The biggest battle was with my head for the last 1/2 mile, really happy I completed this.

Splits:
    6:30
    6:37
    6:36
    6:45 (hill took its toll)

Finished up with 3 easy miles to cool down, around 9 m/m. That is all

Today: 5.08 miles recovery

Felt a lot better today, must have had some sort of bug in my system the last couple of days, esp wednesday. Nice slow jog, the wind didn't bother me to much although it should be fun tomorrow on my long run around the wide open spaces of the curragh plains, cant wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Yesterday: 5 miles recovery

Nothing much to report, legs felt grand, body didn't, felt like i had no energy, hopefully I'm not coming down with something.

Today: 9 miles @ 7:53m/m incl 4 miles @HMP

What a horrible evening, thought about doing this for a while, plus still wasn't feeling 100%, "DONT BE SOFT AND GET OUT THE DOOR" and out i went. Couple of 8 m/m to warm up then into the 4 mile tempo. Tried to pick a sheltered route with mostly a crosswind to make the mile splits even enough. First couple of miles fairly comfortable then turned into the wind for a while, hard work to hold my target pace(6:40). Last mile was along a twisty road, hitting a headwind every second turn and the sting in the tail of a short sharp hill to really test me. The biggest battle was with my head for the last 1/2 mile, really happy I completed this.

Splits:
    6:30
    6:37
    6:36
    6:45 (hill took its toll)

Finished up with 3 easy miles to cool down, around 9 m/m. That is all

Hey Ronnie

Well done on the session. The only thing i couldnt help notice is the fact these are down as HMP. Was the wind at your back for these? I only ask because your current fitness would suggest you should be running these at closer to 7 min pace than 630 (Given your recent HM).
    When running tempos and paced runs it is always important to run them at current fitness pace rather than target pace. Running them too fast can be just as bad as running them too slow as you change the whole dynamics of the session. Like wise you should be taken wind into account and adjusting your pace to slower to allow for the wind the most important thing is effort should be maintained rather than time.

Hey ecoli, a slap on the wrists for me :p. Yeah I can see where your coming from, I do tend to push a bit to hard on these sessions, was guilty of that in the last mile against the wind, although the other 3 felt good(wind at backmile 1, cross 2/3). My prep for the HM was extremly poor and i feel in a lot better shape at the moment, consistant training has worked wonders. Dont know if it makes much of difference over the shorter distance but HR was about 10 BPM less than HM. Thanks for the advice and will definitely take it on board, it was one of the reasons i started a log, have a lot to learn:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Hey ecoli, a slap on the wrists for me :p. Yeah I can see where your coming from, I do tend to push a bit to hard on these sessions, was guilty of that in the last mile against the wind, although the other 3 felt good(wind at backmile 1, cross 2/3). My prep for the HM was extremly poor and i feel in a lot better shape at the moment, consistant training has worked wonders. Dont know if it makes much of difference over the shorter distance but HR was about 10 BPM less than HM. Thanks for the advice and will definitely take it on board, it was one of the reasons i started a log, have a lot to learn:)

I only say it because I have been doing it for years myself. I always thought harder = faster. Over recent years i have trained at paces like

400m reps 70-75 sec reps
    tempo s 540-550

Though recently have been running paces such as
    400m : 80 - 83
    Tempo: 5.50- 6.10

Ran first race of the year not expecting anything because the fastest i had ran was 5.20 pace for one session in 2 and a half months. Results of the race were min and a half quicker than expected time running 5.30 miles for five miles.

Think most of us are victim of trying to make excuses that we are in better shape than we think and as a result will see more benefits from running faster but people fail to see that long distance training isnt about getting faster (otherwise we would be sprinters) its about maintaining our high intensity speeds for long and becoming more efficient

My new coach said before he took me in " we are not gonna train harder we are going to train smarter" and has yielded great benefits

(sorry if this comes across as preaching :D)

ecoli wrote: »
    (sorry if this comes across as preaching :D)

Preach away;)

Today: 15.1 miles @ 7:42 m/m

Enjoyed this, the wind easyed off, raining but not to heavy and mild enough. Running through the town getting a lot of strange looks from people in their nice cosy cars, dont think I as mad as they made me feel. Out to the safety of the countryside, nearly had the roads to myself, tip toeing through floods on the roads, my newish runners not looking so new anymore. Started to feel very hungry about mile 13, didn't realise had a gel with me in my hydration belt, stupid, made the last couple of miles more uncomfortable than the should have being, plus the smell coming out of peoples houses of frys didn't help, oh its being so long yum yum:D

Today: 9.1 miles easy @ 8:06m/m + Strides x 10 (total distance 10.17)

Usual heavy legged feeling after a rest day for the first 3 miles or so, starting off against a strong blustery wind didn't help. Improved as time went on. Just kept a nice steady pace and didn't push at all. Finished up with strides x 10, could really feel the first few stretching the muscles out, they're a great way to loosen out the legs.

Plan for week:

Mon: 9 miles easy & strides
    Tue: 14 miles medium/long
    Wed: 5 miles recovery
    Thurs:11 miles medium/long
    Fri: 5 miles recovey
    Sat: 18 miles long
    Sun: rest ( thinking of doing a very easy 3 recovery to combat the heavy legs after a rest day. Will see how I feel on the day. Streak again maybe :cool:)

Today: 13.99 miles hilly @ 7.35 m/m

Suns out again, makes it alot easier to get out the door. First 5/6 miles were fairly tough, few short sharp shocks of hills with a stiff enough breeze into my face.Turned a corner and all of a sudden was flying with the wind at my back. Felt good today.

Yesterday: 5.08 miles wet slow recovery run, enjoyable though, felt fresh.

Today: 12.24 medium @ 7:40m/m

Felt very good. Before i started out decided to take it a little bit easier and not pay to much attention to my pace. First mile was 8:18 which felt nice and comfortable so just continued with that perceived effort, enjoying the milder weather with no wind to worry about. Checked the watch after about 5 or 6 miles and was pleastantly surprised at the pace i was travelling at. Got very foggy out on the curragh, could barely see 20m ahead, dangerous as it was that heavy plus a bit eerie. Was glad to get to the racecourse where i had a path the rest of the way home to keep me out or harms way of the few cars around. Finished strong, delighted with this run, one of them good days :)

• Advertisement

Yesterday: 5.4 miles recovery

Felt good, got to a stage when the legs wanted to push on and had to tell myself to hold back

Today: 18.65 miles @ 7:31m/m

Real spring morning, sun out, still a bit cold. Plenty of people out running and cycling taking advantage of the good weather. Started out feeling fresh, knew it was going to be a good session. First mile about 7:50m/m then settled into a nice rhythm of 7:20/7:30 miles, well within heartrate limits. Feeling very good, even snuck in a 7:00 mile, without noticing it, well a downhill mile but still. Started to tire with about 2/3miles to go but was still well under control keeping the same pace. Enjoyed today. Excellant week, 66 miles and feeling good. Little side note, it a year ago today since a started running, struggled around 2.5 miles at god knows what pace, now doing 66 mile weeks and ~19 mile training runs @ 7:30 pace, what a difference a year makes :cool:

Advertisement