Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ronnie Runs Riot

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Sat: 5.66 miles recovery

Lovely run around corkagh park in the sunshine on m lunchbreak from work. Body felt pretty ok for a change.

Sun: 17.63 miles @ 7:15 incl 8 @ MP

Today it was like somebody just flipped as switch and was running strong again. Went out on my 4 mile loop just to see how many laps I could do without doing damage. The first couple of miles flew in @ 7:44 and 7:23 pace feeling very easy, had to start slowing myself after that. Decided to go for the planned MP miles as I was still feeling good after 8 quickish miles, just to see how many I could do. The first 5 were comfortable enough but started to work after that. The 7th was a real struggle and nearly gave up after that, then just said to myself I came this far, finish the session, for confidence if nothing else and pushed for a 6:52 mile on the button. A mile and a half wobble ~8:20 pace home to finish a great session considering the week that has just gone.

MP splits:
    6:49
    6:44
    6:44
    6:47
    6:56
    6:52

Tired but happy :)
    62 for the week, a struggle for most of it but improving

Mon: 3.86 miles recovery.

Suppose to be a double day by the plan but I was feeling pretty tired after yesterdays adventure so just left it at a lunchtime recovery run. Did an hour of stretching, rolling and light core work in the evening, no real niggles to report. Might sneak in a double on another recovery day later in the week to make up the milage, then again I might not :P

Tue: 9.33 miles incl 4 @ tempo

Started with 2 miles warm up, thinking about how to approach this tempo run. Settled on 6:20 pace in my mind, hopefully I didn't fall back much more than that in the last few weeks. The first mile was the usual, trying to find my rhythm, pushing to fast then slowing up to much. Legs a little stiff for the first few minutes as well which didn't help but soon settled down. The second mile was a little slow but my excuse is it was into the wind and included a bit of a hill, after this the pace seemed to pick up naturally and was feeling good with the last mile the fastest of the day, into the wind again. 3 mile jog home, the last 2 I felt very tired. I think Sundays run is still in the legs but its all easy running for the rest of the week, so wont worry about it to much.

Splits: 6:22, 6:26, 6:17, 6:11.

30 minutes stretching at lunchtime too

Wed: 11.36 miles @ 7:57 m/m

Took it nice and handy today. Confidence building a little, headed away from my safe little route near home to go out to the curragh. I was getting very bored running laps but I was nearly sorry when the wind hit me straight in the face for a few miles in the wide open curragh plains, tough going. Got the 'reward' for this coming home with the wind at my back, although I was a little tired at this stage so no heroics and just cruised home. More work with the physio after, still have a slight niggle but its improving all the time, although I did get a slap when I told her the amount of training I was doing, imagine what she'd do if I told here the full truth :eek:.

Thurs: 6.18 miles recovery

Slow slow recovery run, legs felt ok, apart from a little tenderness where i got some needles yesterday, to be expected. Just trotted around at a pace that felt comfortable.

Fri: 12.3 miles easy @ 7:52 m/m

Set out feeling good, if a little one paced. Hit a few hills in the first 4 miles and felt strong on them, just seemed to struggle with leg turnover going down them :confused:. Pretty uneventful until about mile 8/9 when a strong cold wind hit me full in the face, everything seemed hard work after this until I got back into the town and some shelter, the damage was done a this stage and felt tired for the last couple of miles.

Sat: 6.1 miles recovery

Felt ok but running very slow, no harm as it was only a recovery run and felt fresh after.

Sun: 19.2 miles long @ 7:52 m/m

This is getting to be a bit of a worry, crusing speed has slowed dramatically from even just a month ago and dont seem to be able to pick the pace up at all. While I was feeling strong there seems to be no sharpness in the legs and HR was a little high. Saying all that the distance felt comfortable enough, tired in the last mile but thats to be expected as its the longest run I've done in a long while and almost pain free which is another plus. Will throw a few strides in during the week to try wake things up.

68 miles for the week, building nicely, just need to find some speed from somewhere

Mon: am 6.13 miles recovery
    pm: 3.84 miles recovery

Legs were a little stiff for the first few miles of the morning run but improved as I went on. Still very slow. The evening run I fared a little better, felt good and pace ended up closer to normal.

Tue: 8.31 miles easy @ 7:57 m/m incl strides x 10

Getting a little frustrated with the pace I'm running at, trying to be patient, not my strongest suit. The first couple of miles I felt a little stiff but picked up as I went, feeling good for the middle miles, then I started to tire for the last mile or so. Threw in a few strides at the end and seemed to freshen the legs up.

• Advertisement

Wed: 13.52 miles easy @ 8:25m/m

Decided not to aim for any sort of pace and just jog very comfortably as I'm getting a little worried I'm overcooking it a little with my paces slowing, altough feeling ok otherwise :confused:. Once again tired in the last couple of miles but had to work very hard just to keep going forward into the wind for about 4 miles which didn't help. Getting worried, waiting on things to click back to normal and be flying again but just seem to be going slower and slower.

Thurs: 3.94 miles recovery

Again a slow recovery run, felt ok though.

Did my first pilates class this afternoon, felt great after, my back is feeling looser than it has in a long while. Going to keep it up, hopefully it helps correct some of the weaknesses I've developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bart simpson

ronnie085 wrote: »

Sun: 19.2 miles long @ 7:52 m/m

This is getting to be a bit of a worry, crusing speed has slowed dramatically from even just a month ago and dont seem to be able to pick the pace up at all. While I was feeling strong there seems to be no sharpness in the legs and HR was a little high.

thats a good long run there ronnie, i wouldnt be worried about that at all, i did all mine slower than that last year and got a sub 3, remember the bodies fat burning effiency needs to be in good shape for a marathon and slow running improves it.

thats a good long run there ronnie, i wouldnt be worried about that at all, i did all mine slower than that last year and got a sub 3, remember the bodies fat burning effiency needs to be in good shape for a marathon and slow running improves it.

It wasn't that particular run in isolation that was bothering me really, just everytime I went out in the last couple I'm moving 30 sec to a min per mile slower than usual no matter what I'm doing but working as hard if not harder than usual. I think it is just the increase in milage as looking back over my log I have being a little stop start with training since the Waterford half, where building up to that 60-70 mile weeks were no problem. Anyway little signs today that things are improving.

Fri: 13.1 miles easy @ 7:55 m/m

While the pace is nothing to get excited about I felt alot more comfortable today. I had little battle with myself to get out the door as the last couple of med/long runs had being a bit of a battle and wasn't looking forward to this. Got into the rhythm pretty early today and held a comfortable pace. The last few longish runs became tough in the last 4 or so miles but today I seemed to get stronger and even picked up the pace a little. HR lower today to so a couple of signs of improvement, hopefully that continues, oh and I speed up a little

Sat: 6.2 miles recovery

A little faster and HR a little lower, felt good.

Sun: 15.07 miles @ 7:37m/m incl 5@ MP

Strange one this, plan was 19 with 10 @ MP, obviously abandoned it. Started off with 8 miles @ ~7:50 pace feeling good, the best I felt for a few weeks. Then hit the MP miles, again the first few were comfortable enough although still felt I was working harder than I would have liked, looking at it now HR was about right for the pace. All systems were go until I just hit the 5th mile and then for some reason my head and legs had enough and just slowed up and jogged home. I'm normally very upset with myself when I dont complete a session but today I felt different. The last couple of weeks have being very tough mentally and physically, pushing to hard to get some form back, maybe too hard. Finished today, while not fresh but not shattered either and feel more motivated now to put things right during the week. Hopefully the shorter run will get me back on track and strangely the few faster miles have given me more confidence, onwards and upwards.....

Oh and 70 miles for the week

Mon: 3.89 miles recovery

Nice and handy, slight stiffness for the first mile but eased out after that. Ment to be a double day but a painful visit to the physio put an end to that, no harm done.

Tue: 10.69 miles incl 5 @ tempo

NAILED IT :D. Confidence very low going into this but after Sundays failure I was fired up for this. 2 mile warm up and then down to business. Aiming for 6:20 pace, the first mile I was feeling good, easing back at times, just finding a good rhythm, 6:20. The second mile still feeling good, HR about right, breathing good, but as usual for this mile on my tempo circuit a little slow, 6:23. I blame a few twists and turns. Still going well in the third mile, strong up and over a steep enough railway bridge, signs are good, 6:19. Flying in the forth mile, although was starting to work hard at this stage, 6:13 then into the last mile, feeling good, a little bit of a struggle for the last 1/4 mile or so but pushed hard to get over the line. Little slow at 6:23 but the watch was playing games under some tree cover, showing 8 m/m at one stage, so I think last mile a little off and thats my story. Guts of a 4 mile jog home and not on my knees this time, good days work.

Wed: 15.1 miles M/L @ 7:50 m/m

Legs felt a little heavy today after the hard work yesterday but still felt strong if that makes any sense. Just drifted around in a world of my own, still a little slow but happy after a tough day yesterday. Tired in the last mile or two but still held ~7:40 pace, used to running on tired legs now :). A lot happier after the last two days than I have being for a while.

• Advertisement

Hetic week, unfortunatly running missed out a couple of days, just to bring things up to date and to make a clean start...

Thurs: rest

Fri: 13.55 miles easy @ 7:42m/m

Sat: Rest

Sun: Disaster, another rest day

Mon: And again :eek:

Tue: 9 mies easy @ 7:47 incl strides

Wed: 15.66 miles long @ 7:31 m/m

Thurs: 6.2 miles recovery, pilates, so far......

Actually feel fresher after the few missed days and with only one really important day missed (long run), the other days were recovery days the break might have done me good, time will tell. Less than 8 weeks now so full concentration from now on in.

Thurs: pm 3.89 miles recovery

Felt good and strong on this one, one of them evenings I could have ran all night, work wouldn't have liked that.

Fri: 10.69 miles incl 6 @ tempo

This got a little messy, problems started after I slept it out a little and had no time for brekkie, quick mouthful of water and a banana and out the door. 2 miles warm up then into it, feeling determined to complete the session. Felt pretty good for the first few miles, on target, there or there abouts and not hurting to bad. Towards the end of the 4th mile it started to hurt, but nothing that would make me stop. Then after 1/4 way into the 5th mile the legs seemed to just blow up and stop working, backed off cursing myself. Jogged until the beep for the next mile and decided to take off again and try save something for the day. Managed to get the final 2 miles in, little slower than I would have wished but done them all the same. Nearly seen the banana again in the last few hundred yards, pushing on an uphill finish. Couple of miles cool down home, not feeling to bad, little confused what to think, failed session :mad:, battled on :D, I dunno. I think dehydration was an issue, legs still feeling good, onwards and upwards.

Spilts: 6:20,6:23,6:17,6:17, fail, 6:28, 6:25.

Sat: 6.89 miles easy @ 7:47m/m incl strides x 6

No ill effects from yesterdays session. Felt good and strong with HR nice and low. Enjoyable run around the bog roads.

Sun: 19.24 miles long@ 7:18 m/m

I'm definately more suited to running in the sun, just clicked today. Legs were strong from the start and felt like I could do a few more miles comfortably. Seem to be improving with the steady stuff, the higher intensity stuff still a struggle. Only problem today was burned shoulders, not used to wearing a signet at this stage, felt great at the time. Long may this weather last...

72 miles for the week.

Mon: am: 3.89 miles recovery

More signs things are improving, recovery pace has gone up a few notches, nearly aminute a mile. No ill effects from yesterdays long run, calfs a little stiff for the first mile but soon eased out.

Pm: 6.10 miles recovery

All the hard work loosening out done this morning, all that was left was to enjoy this recovery run in the sun. Little slower than this morning but not by much, not that it matters. HRM acting the sack last few runs, up and down most of the time, even after battery change :confused:, stupid garmin.

Tue: 9.0 miles easy @ 7:26m/m

Another lovely evening, all felt easy again today, big difference between now and 3/4 weeks ago when I was struggling with 8 m/m pace. Nice run around the curragh, good to see loads of people out and about with the same idea. Looks like I've turned a corner, touch wood......

Wed: 9.92 miles incl 5 x 1200 @ 5k pace.

Being a while since I've done any intervals so was a little unsure of myself going into these. Checked the last time I did 1200's and was coming in around 4:30 per interval, a month before Waterford half so I figured I should aim for that. Couple of miles warm up to the track in Newbridge and the off with me. Aiming at around 45 sec per 200 looked down at the watch reading 40 at first split, woooo ease up a little, which I did but not by much, first interval completed, comfortable @ 4:23, way quicker than I thought it would be. Now I had a target for the rest of the intervals. Jog recovery and second interval completed on target, there a there abouts, still feeling strong. Something similar for the third, over half way and still going well, gave me a big boost. Onto the next one, first two laps a little slow, legs feeling it slightly but picked up for the last lap to bring the time in line with the other efforts. One to do, nearly home, first lap a little slow but seemed to get a second wind and pushed on strongly without killing myself for the final two laps. Cant explain why I was 6/7 seconds faster than the last time I did these, the grass was shorter this time and dry which helped, maybe I was just lazy back in November :(. Couple miles warm down home.

Splits 4:23, 4:24, 4:23, 4:24, 4:24

Thurs: 15.64 miles long @ 7:18 m/m

Another great day to get out. Felt good from the off today, I was surprised I had no tiredness from yesterdays session. First mile came in around 7:40 pace then every other mile was below 7:20, nice and steady the whole way around. The only shock I got was when I was passed by a chap out for a run, not used to being passed in training when I'm going well, especially when I looked down at the watch, me doing 7 m/m and him gone into the distance like I was stopped, ah well.

Fri: 11.33 miles v easy @ 8:06m/m

A few weeks ago I was pushing to hold this pace but it actually felt slow today. HR nice and low too. Decided to take it extra easy as doing an MP run tomorrow instead of Sunday which I planned originally but Sunday could be dodgy, hopefully will be able to sneak a recovery run in then.

Sat: 19.06 miles @ 7:07 m/m incl 12 @ MP

Feeling better about this one after a few good days before, not going to only manage 5 miles like the last MP session anyway. Decided to do them on the Kildare marathon route, cant get better than that for matching race terrain. 3 miles warm up and started on at the bottom of the hill which would be near enough the 12 mile mark of the marathon. First mile felt good and quickly found a good rhythm, then hit the short sharp shock of a hill which is about half way in the marathon, felt good and strong but didn't want to push to hard, lost a few seconds on this mile but nothing much. The next few miles are fast, up and downhill but mostly down, flying at this stage. Turned off the marathon course about 9 miles into my MP section to start heading towards home. One lesson learned at this stage, dont panic about loosing a small bit of time on the couple of hills around halfway, the next few miles are very fast, once the wind plays ball and isn't gale force into your face. So 3 miles left of MP section, feeling good but starting to hurt, holding the pace nicely. The last mile, well half mile was very tough, especially as I finished up going up the steep hill in the middle of the curragh camp, legs screaming at the top, watch beeped to signal the end of the 12 miles. 4 mile jog home at ~7:40 pace to finish the day, tired but not shattered.
    Splits: 6:44,6:55,6:39,6:42,6:42,6:47,6:41,6:46,6:42,6:44,6:43,7:00 (incl hill).

March was a good month, despite missing a couple of days got 304 miles in, a record for me.

Sun, Mon,Tue: Wheels feel off, thing got a little hetic after Sat and didn't get out, between work and other things, then home late last night motivation at an all time low with the bad weather and everything, skiped the run, not happy with myself at the moment but have to move on and build again. Should have a clear run from now till race day so no more excuses...

Wed: 15.6 miles long @ 7:24 m/m

Brrrr thought I was finished with the hat and gloves for a while then woke up to snow on the ground and my favorite, strong winds. HTFU and get out. Legs felt a little dead, the few days off didn't help that but the paace picked up naturally as I went. The second half of this was into the wind, and felt it for the last couple of miles. Happy to get in the door at the end with a solid run done.

Thurs: am: 6.1 miles recovery
    late am: pilates
    Pm: 3.89 miles recovery

Nothing much to say about the two runs, will call them pleasant.

Fri: 12.22 miles incl 7 @ tempo

Not so pleasant but got it done. Usual two mile warm up and off. Felt good and strong for the first three miles, nearly bang on target. Mile 3-4 was a toughie, into the wind for most of it, wont lie, had a couple of toughts of pulling up, but battled on. Got over the bad pactch into mile 4 and things became 'comfortable' again for the next couple of miles. When I got to 6 miles done I knew I would complete the session, just had to dig in, 6:20 m/m pace and get in done. Happy with that one, 3 mile cool down to finish off a good session.

Splits: 6:20, 6:22, 6:19, 6:23, 6:20, 6:18 , 6:20.

Sat: 8.1 miles easy @ 7:26 m/m incl strides x 6

Lovely morning for a run. Felt really comfortable floating around at a decent pace for an easy run, feeling good at the moment, hopefully that lasts another few weeks. Followed the plan to the letter so threw in a few strides at the end. Ready for a big one tomorrow, 22 miler..... followed by loads of chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Great job on the MP run! Your easy pace has come down a lot recently too - good sign. Keep the foot down for another week or 2 and you'll get a great result.

Sun: 22.10 miles @ 7:10m/m

Longest run in the plan today although with plenty of long runs done I wasn't to worried about this. Felt good from the start and an added bonus, HRM was working today, so just keep the heartrate in the 160s and see how things go. First mile was sub 7:30 pace, surprised me a bit as I normally start slow but I took it as a sign I was going well. The miles just ticked off nicely, feeling strong on any hills I hit and against the wind for most of the first half. Checked the av pace around 13 miles and was surprised to see 7:15 m/m and feeling good. The next few miles ticked off uneventfully until about 4 miles from home I hit my favorite hill in the curragh camp, more a mental test after 18 miles, decided to push hard up it, just to make things tough on myself, hit the top a little wobbly but I recovered within a minute or so and just took it on home with a few ~7 min miles, feeling tired but strong if that makes any sense. Delighted how this went, in good shape at the moment.

• Advertisement

Mon: 6.2 miles recovery

First mile or so I was pretty stiff but soon loosened out and sped up as I went, feeling like a new man when I finished up. A day in front of the telebox watching racing, football and some other rubbish I wont embarrass myself mentioning, scoffing easter eggs, long time since I did anything like that.

Tue: 9.02 miles incl 5 x 600m

Back to the grindstone, although this isn't the worst session in the world. Jogged down to the track and did a couple of laps to settle in then down to it. The first two intervals were comfortable enough, although I could still feel a little stiffness in the legs from Sunday. Picked up from there on, speeding up slightly and more importantly feeling good. It was all over before I knew it, only about 5 miles done so ended up doing a few easy laps just to make up the distance for the day.

Splits: 2:07,2:07,2:06,2:06,2:06.

Wed: 15.7 miles long @ 7:11 m/m

Approaching 15 mile runs like an easy 7 or 8 at the moment, no big deal, no messing with drinks or gels or anything like that. Home and out the door without even thinking about it. First couple of miles I wasn't feeling the best, a little bit of tiredness is starting to creep in I think, but after 2 miles it was like somebody pressed a button and I was flying.The next 10 miles were very comfortable, the legs feeling great and the pace good with HR low enough. Started to tire a little for the last few miles, nothing major just started working a little harder than I was. Finished up pretty happy, now a kind of mini taper before a 10k at the weekend, deserved after a few toughish days in the last week. Only an easy 9 tomorrow :p

Thurs: 9.01 miles easy @ 7:34 m/m

A little bit of playing around with the plan as it has me down to race on Sat but nothing suits until Sunday, means a long run on Mon :rolleyes:. So took this run from next week with 2 recovery runs and 10 k race to finish the week off. Not going to bad today, although there was a definate tired feeling in the legs at times. The next few easy days should sort that out.

Fri: 6.17 miles recovery

Recovery runs continue to speed up, I like that. Felt fresh today, enjoyable relaxing run. Another handy one tomorrow :)

Sat: 4.6 miles recovery incl strides x 6

Just a pre race shake down, no issues to report, enjoyable little run.

Cill Dara RFC 10K

Decided to do this instead of the GIR this year as its only a few miles down the road, less hassle, hanging around etc...

So woke up to a frosty morning, going to be a cold one, usual porridge and took in some of the Paris Marathon, got me in the mood. Headed out early to a painless registration, a little to early, thought the race was at 10:30 to be told it was 11, no harm done.
    Did a couple of miles warm up and a few strides and then called to the line and let off on the button of 11. Went off in the leading group, a little to fast for me but feeling comfortable, slowly lost touch in the first k, altough I wasn't the only one. Then after about 2K we hit the first hill of the day, more of a long drag with a couple of kicks in it, smashed open the leading group ahead, single file for everybody. After about 3.5k or so we hit a fast downhill although it still kicked up at times, feeling strong and catching and passing a couple of stragglers from the leaders. The only problem now was I was running a time trial on my own, while I could see a lad up ahead he was to far and going to well to catch and I was under no real pressure from behind. Hit 5k in what would be a new PB, 17:40 or so and still feeling good. The course started to rise again from here, nothing major just a steady drag, with the added difficulty of being against the wind. Kept the pace steady but I started to hurt at around the 8k mark, lucky enough there was a short downhill at this point which helped me recover, until, the last sting in the tail, turned left to meet another rise in the road and the wind felt stronger than before. Really thought I was going to blow up at this point, just dug in and tried to keep the legs turning over, sheer hell. Then hit the final turn, all downhill from here, picked the pace up, big PB was on. Turned into the rugby club for the last section and out of nowhere somebody flew past, raised a bit more of a sprint but was beat in a photo on the line ;).
    Looked at the watch, 36:29, a 2 minute PB or so I thought. Caught my breath and looked at the watch again, couse was short by .09 mile :mad:. Everything seemed spot on up until the 8k marker so they lost a bit in the last 2k. So 10k time sould have being ~ 37.05 or so. Finished up a little disappointed I didn't have a PB on the board but lucky enough its only a training run, bigger fish to fry and averaging sub 6 miles on a tough course shows I'm on track for 4 weeks time:eek:. Good testing race if they if they could find the most important thing, an extra .09 of a mile it would be a very good race although not a real PB course.

Splits:
    5:44
    6:05
    5:48
    6:04
    5:57
    6:17
    0:33 for .11mile

6.11 miles in 36:29

Mon: 18.16 miles long @ 7:18m/m

Mondays are never my favorite day and was in no mood for a pre work long run but forced myself out the door. Took it handy enough in the first couple of miles, clearing a bit of stiffness in the legs from yesterday, met a friend on the road also training for Kildare although he was out for a recovery run so after about a mile of chatting I left him at it, 9:30 miles wheren't going to cut it. Started to feel good from this point and got up to crusing speed without pushing to hard. The miles were ticking off nice and quickly at this stage. Started to feel tired about 3 miles from home but still kept a nice pace, with the last mile feeling fairly tough. Tired now, to be expected after a couple of tough days, mightn't be a lot done in work :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Just popping in here as I noticed you creeping up on me on the 1000 mile challenge again :p
    Some great running going on here. What's the target for Kildare? I know Sub 3 is the priority but given your recent form that might seem a bit soft even?

menoscemo wrote: »
    Just popping in here as I noticed you creeping up on me on the 1000 mile challenge again :p
    Some great running going on here. What's the target for Kildare? I know Sub 3 is the priority but given your recent form that might seem a bit soft even?
    I haven't gone away ye know ;) although I left my charge to 1000 a little late to catch you. As for targets, being thinking about that the last few days, thinking about going a little consevative, going out at 3 hour pace until half way and then push on if I'm feeling good. Still have a few mental scars from Edinburgh last year, dont fancy blowing up around 18 miles and not getting the sub 3 monkey off my back.

• Advertisement

Tue: 6.15 miles recovery

Feeling a bit battered today, calfs and quads pretty sore. Loosened out but not 100% when I finished up. Stretching and another 4 mile recovery this evening should sort me out, fingers crossed.

Advertisement