Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ronnie Runs Riot

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Wed: 8.98 miles easy @ 7:15 m/m

A lovely evening for a run. Struggled a little for the first mile or so, legs feeling a little stiff and heavy, even struggling to get a rhythm breathing. Then all of a sudden I just woke up and had that great feeling of just floating along, speeding up with every mile. Finished up with 2 sub 7:00 m/m without even thinking about it. Fresher at the end the the start of the run, really enjoyed that.

Thurs: 8.14 miles incl 5 x (600m,400m), 200m rec, 400m between sets.

Back to the grindstone. Struggled to get out the door today. Home from work and went upstairs to get change, ah sure will lie down on the bed for five minutes, an hour later I was dragging myself up and forcing my runners on. A mile jog down to the track, a little soggy after all that rain but not as bad as I thought it would be. First set was a little tough but after that I loosened out nicely and felt fairly strong. Held good even splits with a second the max difference between them. Another good sign was that I wasn't mentally battling with myself during these like I have being in the last couple of weeks on these kind of sessions. A few laps cool down and the a mile jog home to finish a good day.

Splits: 600s (3 x 2:01,2 x 2:02) 400s(4 x 80s, 1x 81s)

Fri: 15.65 miles long @ 7:13 m/m

Not a pleasent day looking out the window but i'm used to that. So off with me on the longest run I planned on doing since pre marathon taper about 2 months ago. The usual first 2 miles a little but of a struggle but I soon settled in doing ~7:10 miles feeling ok. It was tough going everytime I turned into the wind but otherwise I was feeling good. With about 3 miles to go I was starting to feel it but just kept the head down and battled on. Finished up pretty tired but satisfied with my days work. Down to Clare for the weekend now, hopefully I'll get at least one run in

Bit of a disaster training wise last weekend, Sat, Sun and Monday nothing but eating, drinking and sightseeing down, shame because theres some great running roads over in Clare.

Tues: 8.07 miles incl 5 x 800m then 5 x 200m

So a punishing session after a few days of over indulgence. I was sorry I didnt get an easy run in on Monday as I felt pretty stiff for the warm up. Down to business and felt ok on the first rep. The next two reps felt a little more comfortable as the legs got used to the pace, sweating buckets at this stage, clearing beer out of the system or just the heat, probably both. Started working hard in the next rep and the found the last lap of the last 800 very tough, pumping arms and legs to try hold pace but still slowed, crossed the line and hands on knees for 30 seconds to catch my breath. 600m jog and then into the 200s. First couple were a little slow but then seemed to get a second wind and the pace picked up to were I wanted it.

Splits 800s ( 2:45,2:45,2:45,2:46,2:48), 200s (41,41,39,40,39)

Wed: 6.16 miles recovery

Thurs: 3.94 miles recovery

2 recovery runs before doing the Kilcock 5k tomorrow night. Even with a long run and another easy run at the weekend its going to be another low milage week. Really need to improve before I start my Dublin training plan.

Kilcock 5k

A bit late with this report for but here goes anyway.
    Slipped off a couple of hours early from work to go to this race, sure its only down the road be a shame to miss excuse used. So disappeared before the boss changed his mind and hit the M4. Arrived in plenty of time, plenty of parking and a quick number pick up. Got changed and out onto the track for a few laps warm up. Feeling ok although the burger and chips at lunch was now turning into a bad idea, seemed to be sitting on the stomach. Another worry was the very strong wind but that seems to be there most of the time now anyway.
    Down to the start, a quick chat with meno then tried to push my way towards the front. Lined up a few rows further back than I would have liked but it was getting a bit tight so I just stayed where I was. Taken a little by surprise by the start as didn't hear a countdown or anything. The first few hundred meters were a little tough with alot of pushing and shoving but it soon thinned out and and found a group of 3-4 traveling at the same pace. First K done feeling controlled, passsing a few of the faster starters. We were then passed by a faster runner, I decided to try stick with him as our little group seemed to be falling apart at this stage anyway. The watch beeped at the mile point, 5:31, still feeling comfortable, felt I was on for a good one. Into the third k a loose group started to come together of 4, not really working together, just holding each others pace. Breathing and running still under control but it was starting to hurt at this point, the battle with the mind begins. The next beep of the watch, 5:36, on for a big pb if I can hold on. Only 2 of us left at this stage and one in the distance. I got a little cheeky and tucked in behind him for the 4th K, just holding pace. 1K to go, lungs and legs screaming at this stage, just a few more minutes. At 800 to go the other lad upped the pace and no way could I follow, holding on for dear life at this stage. 400 to go, in a moment of madness decided to try catch a lad 20m ahead of me so dug deeper, and started to gain, until he kicked for the line. Rounded the final little bend to see the finishing mats, tried to raise a sprint, no chance, crossed and stumbled over to the grass bank at the side and onto my back, in bits.
    Then just about breathing normally again the brain started working, what time, looked at the watch 17:12, a little yessss slipped out, 50 sec pb. :D.
    This race definately on the list for next year, cant find fault at all.

Splits: 5:31, 5:36, 5:36, 30 sec for .1. Chip time 17:15 for 28 place.

Sat: 15.73 miles @ 7:22m/m

Tough one this, afer the race yesterday didn't really eat and only had a small breakfast. Hydration not the best either but was just in auto pilot on Sat morning and went for it. Never felt good and while the pace was ok just didn't feel myself. Last 5 miles were a real struggle. Starving when I arrived home, that was soon sorted :P

• Advertisement

Back down to earth

Took a planned rest day Sunday then the wheels came off, Monday I wasn't feeling to good so gave it a miss. Still not good tuesday but thought it was a HTFU moment and out I went, a planned longish run turned into a 4 mile recovery. Feeling worse on wednesday then I received what was in the post on thursday, shivers, sweats, headache and nobody wants to know what my stomach was getting up to. Just about right on Sunday, nasty week. Lost 5lbs so down below my last race weight, may hold that:P.

Mon: 6.17 miles easy @ 7:38m/m

Great to get out, took it handy, and felt ok, will build up slowly during the week and see what happens.

Tue: 7.32 miles easy @ 7:21 m/m

Again another easy run. Happy about the pace felt easy, maybe I didn't fall as far back as I thought or just fresh legs, will find out soon enough. Pretty uneventful run apart from a close encounter with a truck who seemed to turn for me instead of giving me a little space. Went through a little bad patch in one of the middle miles, but apart from that felt pretty comfortable.

Wed: 8.98 miles easy @ 7:23 m/m

Another easy run. The first couple of miles I found a little tough but soon got into a rhythm and the miles ticked off nicely. Hit a few 'hills' well bumps but testers all the same and felt pretty strong on them, although my HR seemed to rise very quickly on them and then not recover to normal very quickly. Not back yet but getting there. Recovery tomorrow and then might chance a session on Friday so I dont get to lazy.

Thurs: 6.1 miles recovery

Lovely morning for a run. Trotted around the bog roads without a care in the world. Legs felt good, will hopefully get another one in this evening.

Fri: 8 miles incl 2 x (1000,800,600,400) intervals

Struggled a little with these, legs a little heavy. They didn't really hurt just couldn't seem to get the legs turning over.Splits tailed off, not the best of days. Blaming the week off last week.

Splits (3:29, 2:46, 2:04,81) (3:33, 2:52:o, 2:07, 81)

Sat: 15.7 miles long @ 7:08 m/m

Strange one, never felt comfortable but still couldn't slow down either, just went with ~7 m/m pace as it seemed to be what the legs wanted to do. Struggled for the last couple.

Sun: Rest

Mon: 9 miles easy @ 7:19 m/m

First mile or two was a little tough, but got going after I cleared yesterdays rest day out of the system.

Tue: am: 4.88 miles steady @ 6:30 m/m

Sneaky lunchtime run in work. A little short of time so decided to give it a blast. Pace felt comfortable mostly although struggled into the strong wind at times. Only problem with this, took half an hour to stop sweating after it, couldn't really claim to be sweating from work.

Pm: 3.88 miles recovery

Just an evening shake out, comfortable.

Wed: 11.38 miles easy @ 7:19 m/m

Another strange feeling today. Legs felt dead although breathing and everything else was very comfortable. The weather is starting to get to me, struggled to get out the door and the got caught in a thunder storm in the middle of the curragh, not good.

Struggling a little with motivation at the moment, think its just have a Stag at weekend so prob no running for 3-4 days, just keep thinking I'm wasting my time with getting out and then taking few steps back. Couple of weeks till Dublin training woooo.

• Advertisement

So july comes to an end, a disaster of a month running wise, between a weeks sickness, stags and partys the other weekends running took a little bit of a back seat. 142 miles for the month says it all. Just to keep things right got 38 miles of easy running in last week, nothing much I can say about that.
    Now starts training for Dublin, following the same P&D program as Kildare, 12 week 70-85 mile a week plan with one extra week build in for a holiday, which I still will get some running in. The good thing is I'm in better shape now than I was before starting the Kildare program,off my feet for 2 weeks then and 2 days before I abandoned a run after a mile with the same injury and spend a fortune on physio visits in the first month or more just keeping me on my feet.

Goal:- Optimistic 2:50

Hear goes,

Mon: 6.2 miles recovery

Nice easy start to the program, felt good, hr a little high.

Tue: 8.86 miles easy @ 7:20 m/m incl strides x 10

Felt good today although hr still a little high especially on uphills. Pace felt comfortable and felt good getting the legs moving again with the strides to finish up.

Hit the gym after for some strength and flexability work.

Wed: 12.26 miles @ 7:07 m/m

Decided to take a hilly enough route by the fen and into the curragh today. Legs were a little stiff, probably from the bit of strength work last night. Loosened out after a couple of miles and was flying. HR still high going uphill otherwise going well. The last few miles I had the wind at my back which made them pretty comfortable. Enjoyed that and the sun even came out for me.

Thurs: 6.18 miles recovery

A little stiff at the start,took it nice and slow and soon felt good.Just trotted around until a heavy shower woke me up in the last mile. Legs feeling good at the moment.

Fri: 11.4 miles @ 7:11 m/m

Feeling good today, out around the curragh tipping along nicely. Adapting well so far to the increase in milage in the last week or so.

Sat: 6.2 miles recovery

Slow recovery run, 30 sec per mile slower than normal but still feeling fairly fresh.

Sun: 17.01 miles @ 6:57 m/m incl 8 @ MP

No messing aroound with this plan, MP run in the first week. Had 'the fear' before leaving the house, not confidant of holding 6:30 miles for 8 miles. So 6 miles at around 7:20 pace feeling good and down to buisness. First half mile I felt a little stiff and struggled a little to get into the rhythm of the pace. Then just got into the groove feeling very comfortable. Didn't struggle until the last mile which was tough with a long uphill drag with a stiff hill to finish in the curragh camp. Watch beeped at the 8 mile mark and hands on knees for a minute or two to catch my breath and then tipped on home with a few 7:20-30 miles, tired but very happy.

Splits: 6:29, 6:30, 6:25, 6:26, 6:28, 6:26, 6:28, 6:45 (uphill)

Mon: am 6.2 miles recovery
    Pm 3.96 miles recovery

Slow recovery runs, stiff and tired at the start of both but felt better after I finished.

Tue: 10.1 miles incl 4 @ HMP

2 miles warm up, still not feeling fresh but not bad either then picked it up to HMP. 6:10 pace was the target and felt pretty comfortable. The bit of speedwork and couple of shorter races during the 'summer' I seem to be getting the benefits from now. Sped up as I went although the last half mile or so felt tough, as I always find these tempo runs. Job done and then a slow 4 mile easy run to cool down.

Splits: 6:11, 6:13, 6:05, 6:02

Wed: 10.1 miles easy @ 7:29 m/m

Feeling tired today so trottled back abit. Been a tough few days which has caught up with me. Bit of a struggle today. Recovery day tomorrow so that should sort me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

ronnie085 wrote: »
    Long time since an update, may do better ;)

Had 4 days off since the last post being unwell, then back at it on the friday.

Fri: 8.4 miles easy @ 7:20

Sat: 9.3 miles incl 4 @ tempo

Aimed at 6:10 pace for tempo but wasn't really feeling it today, The first 3 miles went well but I lost the battle with my head with about .4 of a mile to go on the last mile. Legs felt good, may sort the motivation out.

6:06, 6:11, 6:08, 6:18 pace for .63 mile.

Sun: 13.5 miles easy @ 7:15 m/m

Going well.

Mon: am 6.2 miles recovery
    pm:3.9 miles recovery

Tue: 8.2 miles incl 5 x ( 400,400,200) intervals

Good session 200m recoverys and 3 mins between sets, not a killer but pace pretty good. 400's avg 80 secs, 200's avg 39 sec.

Wed: 10.1 miles incl 2 mile tempo, 1 mile tempo

Planned 2x2 miles @ tempo but the legs were feeling yesterdays session. Pulled up before I did any damage, I'll complete a tempo session at some stage. 2 tough days in a row because of race on Sunday and wont get a chance on Thursday for a decent run, still not the best idea.

Thurs: 6.2 miles recovery

Fri: rest

Sat: 4.49 miles recovery incl strides x 5

Pre race shakedown

Sun: Parkwest 10k 36:12 by my watch for 6.04 miles.

Short race but still good to see where I am. 6 m/m pace felt pretty comfortable most of the way. Still need to do more speedwork if I'm to get near sub 36 for the 10k, felt strong but no real zip in the legs. Real shame the course was short as everthing else around the race was excellant. Time to push on from this....

Good stuff ronnie. I am training for Dublin too (slightly slower goal). Think CWG is too. Might be able to stay together for a few miles on race day.

Good luck, will follow with interest.

Good stuff ronnie. I am training for Dublin too (slightly slower goal). Think CWG is too. Might be able to stay together for a few miles on race day.

Good luck, will follow with interest.

Whats the goal for Dublin, looking at your MP run we should be fairly simular, as for CWG the way he's going lately will be doing well to stay with him for the first half a mile :p.

Thurs: 6.2 miles recovery

Just what the doctor ordered, nice easy sloooow recovery run. Legs actually felt pretty fresh but easyed right back anyway. Still worked up a fair sweat, its warm out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Whats the goal for Dublin, looking at your MP run we should be fairly simular, as for CWG the way he's going lately will be doing well to stay with him for the first half a mile :p.

2:53 is the goal at the moment

Thurs: 6.15 miles recovery

Legs sore and stiff for the first half of this, after half way or so started too free up and the pace gradually increased as well.

Fri: 12.26 miles easy @ ~7:00m/m

Tough, tough day out there. Started off feeling good, holding a nice steady pace and feeling easy. Then hit the curragh with no shade from the sun just as the day really started to heat up. At this stage the garmin took a hissy fit then gave up the ghost, must not like the sun. Still feeling good so just kept the same rhythm and carried on. Started to feel tired around 8 miles or so and to make things worse from there on in there was plenty of rolling hills the rest of the way home. The heat started to affect me at this stage but kept tipping on. somebody washing there car nearly got a shout to give me a shower. Turned a left and 2 miles to go into the town, just one stiff climb to get over. It took the last of the energy I had out of me and the last 2 miles were a painful shuffle home. Checked the time as I got in the door and then stuck my head under the cold tap for a few minutes, the relief. Pace a fair bit faster than I expected so maybe I pushed a little harder than I thought I did.

Sat: 6.18 miles recovery

Both watch and body recovered. These runs a great indicator of how fresh the legs are, so while the pace is still 30 seconds slower than during the lower milage weeks of the last few months heart rate was lower today than the last few recovery runs and the legs felt good and strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Haha get outta that, we're right around the same fitness :cool:
    I'd love to get under 2:50, but will see how the summer goes. Ye'd be more than welcome out for a session or long run any time, we usually go from Tallaght Athletic clubhouse.

Keep her rollin' Ronnie, some great stuff there.

Sun: 19.2 miles long @ 7:14 m/m

Back to normal weather, rain but a good day for running with very little wind. Felt good from the off, most fresh I've felt in a while. After a tough enough week didn't push the pace to hard but still was ticking off 7:20 miles. Hit the Kildare marathon route for the first time in a while, some roadworks going on, resurfacing the roads with them loose chippings making the roads slow and tough going at times. Hit a little bad patch around 10 miles or so but soon came around and while I felt tired in the last few miles but still felt strong if that makes sense. Finished up with a couple of 6:50 miles just to push the pace a little. Good day and a good week with 74 miles done.

• Advertisement

Mon: am - 6.7 miles recovery
    pm - 3.9 miles recovery

Another two slow recovery runs, didn't feel to bad, legs a little heavy but getting used to that.

Tue: 8.13 miles easy @ 7:15 m/m

Early start this morning, out the door before 7. Took a few miles for the legs to wake up. Took about 4 miles of struggling to get over the shock and I was flying then. Would have loved to get another couple of miles in the way I was feeling but had to go to work :rolleyes:. Hit the swimming pool for a splash about when I got home from work, about 25 mins worth of lengths, nice for a change.

Wed: 13.56 miles easyish @ 7:23 m/m

Different story today, a real sruggle. Battered by the wind for the first half of the run, at one stage had to push hard for a 7:59 mile. By the time I turned for home I was shattered. Theres a pub about 5 miles from home, never being as tempted to give up, call in for a few and make a phone call, lucky I had feck all money. Saying that the last few miles were handy enough with the wind at my back, not an enjoyable run.

Thurs: 3.95 miles recovery

Plan called for 6 miles but decided to treat myself to a short day, earned it after yesterday plus I'm up on the weekly milage target anyway. Nice run to loosen things up.

Fri: 13.54 miles easy @ 7:15 m/m

Took the same route around the curragh as wednesday, conditions much better this morning though.Cruised around feeling comfortable. Legs still feeling the increased miles but starting to adapt and didn't tire as much in the last few miles as I have being. Tester on Sunday, long run with 10 @ MP, abandoned this session in the last marathon cycle, not this time...
    Oh and running streak of 23 days, going nicely

Sat: 6.14 miles recovery
    Tue: 7.3 miles easy @ 7:30m/m
    Wed: 15.6 miles @ 7:22m/m
    Thurs: 6.14 miles recovery
    Fri: 13.4 miles easy @ 7:26 m/m

So a little bit of a blip last Sunday and monday. MP run didn't happen unfortunatly and then missed mondays run to top things off. Getting back on track a little but seem to be struggling with my breathing. Wednesdays run was pure hell for the last 5 miles, I think dehydration played a part, even thinking about wallking the last few miles but battled on. Confidence took a big hit after that and really had to push myself out the door for todays 13 miler. Felt better but still not 100% and instead of letting the miles tick by started to overthink it, counting the miles to go, nearly waiting to blow up. Recovery day tomorrow and if I'm feeling ok on Sunday should get the MP run in, if not just a steady long run will have to do.

Sat: 6.19 miles recovery

Fastest and freshest recovery run in a good while, signs good, hopefully a bit of form coming back.

Sun: 19.07 miles long @ 6:54 incl 10 @ MP

Think I've turned a little corner. Went out this morning not knowing what to expect. Even the first few miles , while not slow were also not as comfortable as I would have liked. Then after 5 miles decided to go for the MP miles before I changed my mind. As usual the first mile was a matter of finding the right rhythm at the right pace. Settled in quickly and the pace felt comfortable, holding back at times. Tipping along nicely in the mid 6:20s for the first six or seven miles the the work started. Never had a doubt I'd complete the rest of the session, mentally in a better place than I have being all week. The usual last half mile a tough uphill in the curragh, can't beat a little bit of self flagellation. 4 miles jog home, not feeling bad at all. Took a couple of gels today for the first time in a while, think it made a difference.

Splits: 6:25,6:20,6:25,6:29,6:22,6:26,6:25,6:26,6:25,6:39 (uphill)

Mon: am - 3.88 miles recovery
    pm - 6.18 miles recovery

Nipped out for a luch time run, people in work finally think I lost it, like a drenched rat after 30 seconds. Felt ok after yesterdays session. The second run done in the sunshine, strange day. Little heavy legged for the first mile or two but came around after that.

Tue: 10.8 miles incl 5 @ tempo

So the love/hate of tempo runs carries on. Enjoyed the couple of miles warm up a little two much and was tempted to carry on at an easy pace but gave myself a slap to get on with it. Strong crosswind for the first mile and took a while for the legs to wake up, hating every minute of it. The watched beeped and one mile done on pace, the second mile is always tough as it starts with a stiff uphill over a railway bridge and while I shouldn't I always end up chasing to get back on pace. Hit the third mile feeling strong and even holding back a little, still thinking about mile four which would be into the wind. Turned a corner and into mile four, expecting a world of pain, didn't happen, felt really strong, hmmmm enjoying this. Just a matter of finishing strong for the last mile which I did, what was I worried about. Near enough a 4 mile easy run to cool down to finish off the day. Enjoyed that.

Splits: 6:08, 6:09, 6:06, 6:04, 6:04.

Wed: 15.44 miles @ 7:02 m/m

After looking at the weather forcast the threats of thunder storms put me off going out to the curragh after the last time I got caught out there during a storm a few weeks ago, scary stuff. So decided on doing a couple of my 6 mile laps with a few miles added on to make the 15 which would keep me near the town and home, just in case I chicken out. Turns out I needn't have worried, sunny until a heavy shower half mile from finishing.
    First mile as usual tough going but after that felt pretty good. Not usual a fan of doing laps but today they seemed to fly by. Held the pace around the 7 m/m mark which felt comfortable and finished off with a couple of 6:50 miles, only starting to tirre in the last half mile or so. Some good signs, especially after a good day yesterday. A couple of easy dys to come and then will fit in a 20 miler on Sat.

Thurs: am: 3.89 miles recovery
    pm: 6.2 miles recovery

Nothing spectacular to report although the legs were feeling very fresh today, surprising after a couple of tough days in a row. Pace well up on what I normally do on recovery runs, all good. The only annoyance now is I have a bit of a headcold coming on, hopefully it doesn't turn into full blown man flu....

Fri: 7.0 miles easy @ 7:22m/m incl strides x 6

Cold got worse, this run was a struggle, coughing and spitting up all sorts of gunk. Not feeling good, bed for the evening.

Sat: 20.8 miles long @ 6:58 m/m

Feeling a lot better so just started this run with the idea of seeing how I felt as I went. Before I knew it I was flying and just carried on. Took in some hills to test the legs and felt strong. The last few miles I put in a couple of 6:40s without even trying although seemed to hit a bit of a wall in the last 5 mins or so and really suffered home. All in all pretty happy with that.

Sun: 6.2 miles recovery

Like an old man for the first mile or so but soon I was feeling better and the pace picked up naturally wiyhout even trying. 80 miles for the week.

Mon: 4.72 miles abandoned session.

Suppose to do 5 x 1200m intervals, only got 1 and then 200m in. Warm up jog for a couple of miles I didn't feel good, but that happens at times and normally when I get into the session I improve. Did a few easy strides warming up and was struggling to catch my breath after, not a good sign. Just went for the first interval, First lap felt ok then I had to work pretty hard, struggling to get air into my lungs. Did a lap recovery and then started another rep, running the bend and my legs were burning already, down half of the straight and pulled up. Hate the feeling of pulling out of a session like that but something was not right. Either I'm not over the cold I had or not recovered from the long run on Saterday, probably both. Dont know what to do now, might go for a short v easy run this evening to salvage something from the day, or I might not, will see how I feel later :(

Mon: PM 5.2 miles call it steady @ 6:37m/m

The abandonded session playing on my mind decided to give it a blast at dinnertime in work. Had a vague idea of doing a tempo session so a mile warm up and then picked up the pace. Next mile done @ 6:09 but it was hard work, kept the pace going for most of the next mile but once I turned into the wind the legs went bang and eased up, 6:40 mile. With the wind at my back the pace picked up and I finished up with two 6:12 miles feeling comfortable. A mess of a run but at least I got something done I suppose.

Tue: AM 15.56 miles long @ 6:58 m/m

What a difference a day makes. flying today.First mile was a little slow, no cool down after pushing hard yesterday evening probably didn't help. After loosing out was travelling at 7 m/m feeling good, enjoying the bit of sun for a change. Ended up finishing with a couple of 6:40 miles, fresh enough at the end.

PM: 3.89 miles recovery

Didn't feel to bad doing this. After doing a good run this morning was expecting a little bit of soreness in the legs but I felt no real ill effects. Pace was pretty good for a recovery run.

Wed: 10.15 miles easy @ 7:03 m/m

Usual heavy legged feeling for the first mile but was soon into a nice rhythm. Didn't pay much attention to the pace so I was surprised when after a few miles I was averaging in the low 7 m/ms with a light wind into my face. Then turned off the Newbridge - Naas duel carriageway onto a nice quite back road . With the wind at my back was just tipping along nicely enjoying the scenary, the last 5 miles at around 6:50 pace feeling comfortable. Looks like Monday was just a blip.

Thurs: 6.88 miles recovery incl strides x 6

Pretty standard recovery run, legs feeling good, strides to wake the legs up before a MP session tomorrow.

Fri: 19.07 miles @ 6:48 m/m incl 12 @ MP

For a change I wasn't to nervous about this after the 10 mile MP session went so well. 3 Miles easy run to start off and then I got going. The first mile was quick, although mostly downhill so it was comfortable, then payback, took in the stiif hill thats on the kildare marathon route, felt pretty strong and held the pace weel over the top. The next few miles fert comfortable enough. At about half way went through a little bad patch which got me worried, just said to myself to relax and try not force the pace. Still kept well inside MP and the legs came back to me. Before I knew it only 2 miles left and while it was starting to hurt I was never straining. Only started to feel it in the last half a mile, uphill but chickened out of the real steep bit and turned off, really digging in at this stage, delighted when The watch beeped. Hands on knees for a minute or two and the a few miles jog home. Felt ok, little tired but good. Wedding to go to tomorrow so weekend of easy running hopefully.

Splits: 6:19,6:27,6:22,6:21,6:22,6:26,6:24,6:23,6:23,6:22,6:23,6:26.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/219890718

• Advertisement

Sat: 9.0 miles easy @ 7:23 m/m

A little bit of a slow start, legs a little stiff after the MP run but improved as I went on, as did the pace. At the end felt I could have run another few miles but had a wedding to go to.

Sun: Unless you call disco dancing till the early hours and drinking till 7 in the morning training, nothing done.

Mon: The party kicked off again yesterday evening, died a death in work, couldn't even handle the thoughts of a run today.

Tue: 11.44 miles easy @ 7:01 m/m

Back on the horse, strangly legs feeling fresher after the couple off days off, everything else still struggling. Floating along, even holding back a little, there might be something to this drinking lark.....

Wed: 15.64 miles easy @ 6:59 m/m

Still flying today. Took in a couple of hills just to test myself and felt very strong. Looks like no damage done from the mad weekend. 7 m/m pace is feeling comfortable at the moment which cant be bad. Only problem today was a heavy shower into my face for the last couple of miles, just when I didn't need it.

Thurs: am. 3.89 miles recovery
    pm. 6.42 miles recovery

A little bit back down to earth. Feeling tired today, getting blown around by a gale force wind. Feeling a little niggly, left hip sore and more worrying right knee feeling worse. Loads of ice for the evening.

Fri: 12.12 miles incl 7 @ HMP

Niggles seemed to have cleared up overnight, magic legs :cool:. Couple of miles warm up, out to my tempo circuit, feeling good and motivated to nail this session. Into the first mile and fell into the grove of the pace pretty quick. It helped that the strong wind was at my back for the first mile but the real work started when I turned into it for the second mile. No problem holding the pace, still fairly comfortable. Cross wind for the next mile still tipping along nicely the onto what I feared, a mile into the wind with no shelter. Didn't really notice for a couple of minutes but then it started to hurt. Instead of doing what I should have and eased up and run by feeling I pushed on and tried to hold the pace. The last minute or two started to really hurt and the mind started to test me.I put the thoughts of easing up and taking a few minutes recovery to the back of my mind and pushed on. Hit a turn about point and the worest was over. Recovered well into the next mile and with 5 done I wasn't going to quit now. A bit of a hill on mile 6 was a tester but I was feeling good at this stage. Back into the wind for half a mile but with the end in sight didn't hurt as bad and finished off smiling with the wind at my back. Happy with that. 3 mile jog to cool down.

Splits: 6:06, 6:06, 6:07, 6:07, 6:08, 6:05, 6:04

Sat: 4 miles recovery

Mental day. Left the house just after 6 and only made it home just before 5. Straight out the door with the intention of 8 easy miles but the head wasn't in it, ended up with four recovery miles and hating every minute of it. Knee sore again, bad day at the office :rolleyes:.

Sun: 22.13 miles long @ 7:05 m/m

A good nights sleep cures all. Knee not as sore but still not right. Had an idea of slowing this down to get more 'time on feet', as longest run so far was only 2h 25 min. So started off around 7:30 pace. I felt a little tired starting off, between a busy day yesterday and a good session on Friday probably not fully recovered. At this stage the rain was coming down in buckets, thinking it was going to be a long day. Soon miles were ticking off nicely, not feeling 100% but not bad either. Pace picking up at this stage so just went with it, soon doing sub 7 miles, ah well that was the plan gone. At about 17 miles it started to hurt, real bad patch, legs felt like jelly. Looking back I kept the same pace but was on auto pilot at this stage. Then slowly I started to come around again and about 19 miles still tired but running strong. Improved that much that I had thoughts of tagging on a mile or two, then thought naaaah.
    So a strange week, missed one and a half days but still got a good tempo session in and a decent long run and 76 miles in 6 days. Cant complain. Things going to get complicated late next week, in Rome for another wedding for 3 days, then seen as krusty is doing Dublin flying down to sicily for a week of warm weather 'training'. Hope to get out most days, normally struggle when away but Dublin too close to miss a week and a half of training.

Advertisement