Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ronnie Runs Riot

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Our splits are near identical until mile 6, then we drifted apart. :)
    That's a hell of a final mile. Well done again. Hope you found some good beer down in Dungarvan!

Thanks Krusty, as for the beer, wouldn't have suited yourself, very little choice so battled on with the Carlsberg, had the desired effect anyway :).
    That's a real impressive time at the weekend Ronnie, especially in those conditions. I really hope that last mile was downhill, downwind and you realised you'd left the oven on. To pull a 5.20 mile out of the bag after 9 miles hard racing is some going. That 2.45 target for London is well since gone. I've a sneaking suspicion, you were always aiming a little higher anyway.

Thanks Kiely, think you got me, using 2:45 as a kind of base fallback figure, will see over the next couple of months how things are going to set an A goal. Dont like putting myself under to much pressure at this stage

Tue: 8.17 miles easy @ 6:48 m/m

Got home from work in the middle of a downpour after spending the drive home psyching myself up to get out the door into the rain. So in, changed and out in five minutes flat. After five minutes the rain stopped and I was feeling a little bit better although the legs were a little heavy. Improved as I went on and then at half way I turned around and with the wind at my back flew home. Still could feel Sundays race in the legs but have felt a lot worse. Its all basically easy running until a marathon paced run on Sunday so plenty of time to recover.

Wed: 12.28 miles easy @ 6:48m/m

A better day today, the sun even made an appearance but wiind still blowing hard. So thats the weather report, now for the run. Headed out looking for the hills at the start and going against the wind made it pretty hard work. Recovered well over the top of the hills. The second half of the run was flatter and with the wind was flying home. Didn't push it at all, just kept the legs turning over nicely. Finished up feeling fresh enough.
    As from today I am also a fully paid up member of Newbridge AC, happy I signed up, probably should have done it sooner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Solid pace on your runs as of late and super run in Dungarvan you are absolutely flying. Newbridge have got themselves a great addition

Thurs: 6.2 miles recovery/easy run @ 7:15 m/m

Went out with the club and got a little carried away, suppose to be a recovery run but the pace picked up as the miles ticked by. Felt very comfortable so no real harm done.

Fri: 11.4 miles easy @ 6:42 m/m

Felt very strong today, pace probably a little high but again didn't feel like I was pushing hard, hopefully I wont pay for the faster paces latter on.

Sat: 6.2 miles recovery

Just a standard recovery run, nice and slow, finished up @ 8:18 pace, slowest in a while.

Sun: 17.05 miles @ 6:32 m/m incl 8 @ MP

First session of the marathon program and it went pretty well. Started off with 6 miles at around 7 m/m pace feeling very comfortable and wound it up after that. The first few miles felt good, was aiming at around 6:10 pace but was bit closer to 6 m/m.
    started to feel the pace at after around 6 miles and it became hard work, hanging on abit for the last mile, although it was an uphill drag so it is always tough. The last few miles cooldown at 7 m/m pace again, pretty tired getting home. So a little bit too keen today with the pace, might ease back a little the next time out.

Splits: 6:02, 6:00, 6:03, 6:03, 6:04, 6:05, 6:04, 6:10.

Mon: Rest day:mad:

One of them days everything went against me. First day off in 30 days so cant really complain.

Tue: 10.1 miles @ 7:00 m/m

So a little bit of juggling about with the schedule this week, planned a tempo run but the snow on the ground put pay to that. Just a nice cool easy run to get into the week, tempo for thursday.

Wed: 6.2 miles recovery

Handy recovery run, nice to get a bit of sunshine. Will get out again later.

• Advertisement

Wed: pm: 3.91 miles recovery

First double in a while, bit tired starting off but felt great when I finished.

Thurs: 10.1 miles @ 6:45 incl 4 @ tempo

A real day to test the dedication, freezing cold rain, wind and a tempo run planned. A couple of miles 'warm-up' and then into the tempo. Planned around 5:50-5:55 pace, easy considering I ran 10 miles @ about 5:45 pace a couple of weeks ago. Bit differennt now. First mile the legs were in a little bit of shock and didn't like the pace, which after the first mile was a little bit faster than expected. Second mile was a tough one, into the wind, tried the keep the same effort, if I told the truth I pushed a little harder. Payback with a mile with the wind at my back, cruising at this stage. Last mile tough again, cross-headwind and breathing heavy. The legs felt ok but seemed to be struggling to get air into the lungs, although the cold weather tends to affect me like that anyway. Finished up faster than expected. 4 miles easy @ around 7:20 pace to finish off.

Splits: 5:44, 5:48, 5:44, 5:43.

Thurs: pm 3.91 miles recovery

Fancied a handy dinner time run and felt good, cleared the legs after a good session this morning.

Fri: 12.2 miles easy @ 6:39 m/m

The first half of this run was tough with loads of rolling hills, some steep. Felt good though. The fast pace could be explained by the last 6 miles, fairly flat with the wind at my back, flew home.

Sat: 6.2 miles plod ( recovery)

Something very simular to last saturday, slow recovery jog, felt a little tired but not bad.

Sun: 21.17 miles long(easy) @ 6:55 m/m

Ok so going out the door the plan was 7 m/m or slower, just to get more 'time on feet', hate that phrase, anyway looking back at the last 2 marathons I faded in the last couple of miles so going to add on a few miles to the longer runs in the plan, especially those that dont involve MP miles. So the first mile i was like a horse in a race that was to keen and getting its head pulled back to slow him. The first few miles around the target pace and felt way to comfortable, suppose I could take take as a good thing. After about 7 miles the pace started to edge into the 6:50s and sometimes faster, still going veery strong. 17 miles in and after that distance the hill in the curragh camp is normally a real tester but flew up it today, took it on home from there with no dramas. The way I felt I could have added another few miles on no problem. Looks like I will have to add another mile or two on instead of doing slow down plan although 2h 26m for today is around what I wanted anyway. Would like to get a least one 2h 40m run in before the big day.

Good week in the end, 74 miles even after missing a day plus a good tempo run, 2 miles ahead of plan :)

Mon: am: 3.9 miles recovery, pm: 6.2 miles recovery/ easy @7:04 m/m
    Tue: 8.56 miles incl strides x 10 @ 6:54 m/m
    Wed: 13.4 miles easy @ 6:46 m/m
    Thurs: 6.2 miles recovery
    Fri: 13.4 miles easy @ 6:39 m/m
    Sun: 19.1 miles long @ 6:38 m/m incl 10 @ MP

Good week done, felt a little tired on the tuesday and wednesday runs but after a handy recovery run on Thursday got going again and was flying again on friday. Another handy one on saturday and then the big session of the week, the MP run. Tough going at times with a couple of bad patches and the last half a mile was real grit the teeth stuff but got it done. Tired after that (reason for short update, bed calling :D).

MP splits: 6:07, 6:01, 6:05, 6:08, 6:02, 6:04, 6:07, 6:06, 6:09, 6:08.

Good week with 77 miles done, things building nicely.

A sign that I'm getting the miles in is that these updates become less and less frequent, hard to get time for everything.

Mon: am: 6.2 miles recovery, pm: 3.9 miles recovery

The morning run I felt pretty tired, yesterdays run took a fair bit out of me I think. I was in 2 minds wheither to do the evening ruun or not but clicked into auto pilot and the gear was on before I knew it and actually felt pretty good, the magic of recovery runs.

Tue: 10.8 miles incl 5 @ tempo

Perfect morning for this, even had the sun out and a light enough wind. A couple of miles warm up and the went for it. Target was around 5:50 pace or so and as usual went out a little fast and was pulling myself back after about half a mile. The first 3 miles were comfortably tough but then started to feel it in the fourth mile, I think it was more mentally than physically, when the watch beeped for the mile split I said feck it and eased up. The guilt started after I caught my breath and after a couple of minutes giving out to myself I went for the last mile which I completed comfortably enough. Have to stop listening to that little lazy voice in the back of my head. Jogged aroud for another few miles, well until I got to a bridge and for some reason decided to sprint up it :confused:, must be losing the plot.

Splits: 5:46, 5:47, 5:45, 5:47, 2 min recovery, 5:45.

Wed: 15.13 miles easy @ 6:48 m/m

Expected to start off like an old man today after yesterdays session but actually felt great. Just tipped around and a nice steady pace, feeling good. The only time it felt like work was for a few miles in the middle of the curragh when the wind was directly into my face, blowing stronger than I expected.

Thurs: 6.2 miles recovery

Uneventful recovery run, still feeling fresh enough which has surprised me. The only thing to keep an eye on was a little twinge in my left shin starting off, cleared after a couple of hundred meters but still, I need something to be worrying about.

Fri: 13.56 miles easy @ 6:45 m/m

Ohhh cold cold day. The first 6 miles into what the mother would say " a wind that would skin you", even with gloves on I could feel the hands starting to go numb. Other than the weather I was feeling pretty ok, apart from on a couple of hills at the start when the calves felt pretty tight but that feeling cleared up after a few miles. Turned around and had the wind at my back on the way home and was flying. Done a burst at near enough 5 m/m pace in the last mile for about 400m to stretch the legs which felt great and finished up fresh enough in the end.

Not finished with the snow yet, although it felt pretty refreshing being out in it. Felt fresh today, all in all an enjoyable trot around.

• Advertisement

Being a while since an update, being a few ups and downs since, suppose I'd better catch up anyway.

Sun 24th feb: 18.2 miles long @ 6:52 m/m
    Mon 25th feb: 6.2 miles recovery
    Tue: 26th feb: 8.2 miles easy @ 7:01 m/m
    Wed 27th feb: 15.6 miles easy @ 6:44 m/m
    Thurs 28th feb: 6.2 miles easy @ 6:59 m/m
    Fri 1st mar: 10.7 miles @ 6:37 m/m, incl 6 tempo avg 5:47 m/m.
    Sat: off
    Sun: off

This was down as a step back week and thats what happened but not the way I planned. Feeling a little off all week then not well on the sat, sun or mon. Still got a good tempo in and just over 300 miles for feb so alls not lost.

Mon: off
    Tue: 5.1 miles easy @ 7:08 m/m7
    Wed: 4.5 miles v easy @ 7:45 m/m
    Thurs: am - 15.6 miles @ 6:44 m/m, pm - 3.9 miles recovery
    Fri: 10.1 miles easy @ 6:48 m/m
    Sat: 7.5 miles recovery incl strides x 6
    Sun: 19 miles @ 6:33 incl 10 @ MP avg 6:07 m/m

So the week started off very poorly, back out Tuesday and feeling like poo, felt like turning around and walking home. Better on wednesday but the head was sick, just lost the will to do anything, turned around and after an hour at home being thick with myself, looking at the plan and what I've done so far I could feel the hunger coming back. So after that things have gone pretty well. I was dreading the MP run today, confidence low at the moment. It went ok, never felt completly comfortable and bailed with about a mile and a half to go of the 12 planned, was struggling to hold 7 m/m in the middle of the curragh against the wind, but still a decent session, probably pushed to hard just to hold the pace into the wind at times. Things getting a little messy plan wise as have 2 county races on the 'wrong' weeks for the plan and they are also on Mondays so alot of juggling of planned days, long runs on Tuesdays :rolleyes:. Must do better updating :)

Mon: am - 3.9 miles recovery, pm 6.2 miles easy/recovery

Brrrr, morning pre work run at 6 bells. First mile into the wind and man was it cold. The body felt pretty fresh I think, the parts that didn't go numb felt good anyway. Defrosted a little after turning away from the wind and then back into the job, the most wide awake ever for a monday morning. Then went up to meet for the club run in the evening, blizzard conditions for a while, only one other brave soul ventured out for what ended up a pretty enjoyable run in the snow.

Tue: 9.01 miles incl 5 x 600m

So the first track session in a while and wasn't expecting to much, at least the weather was better with the wind easing up. Took the long way down to the track to build up a few miles warm up and then a few more laps, putting off the inevitable. The worst thing about the P&D plan is the lack of track sessions in the first few weeks, I tend to dread the first one back, they didn't bother me when I was doing them week in week out. Anyway down to business, flying for the first r ep, thinking I'm going to pay for this. Same again for the next two although started to feel it a little towards the end of the third rep. The fourth on ended up a bit of a disaster, I think I eased back a little to much subconsciosly to be sure of finishing the session, which a did with a solid last rep. The splits ended up over 2 seconds faster than have ever done 600s so I'll take that :cool:.

Splits: 1:57, 1:57, 1:58, 1:59, 1:58.

Wed: am - 15.6 miles easy @ 6:38 m/m, pm - 4 miles recovery.

Had a days holidays to take from work so this was the perfect day to take with a medium/ long run in the morning, feet up watching the races for the afternoon and then a recovery trot in the evening. So resisted the temptation to stay in bed for half the morning and got out by half 9, sun out and all. The first mile or two there was a little stiff from the session yesterday but I was soon flying. I could feel a little tightness in the quads on a few uphills, although not doing enough stretching could be the cause of that. Started to feel tired after about 12 miles and had to push a little to hold the pace that felt comfortable for the previous hour, could have eased back but I get a bit stubborn after a while, feck it.
    So after a lazy afternoon got out for the 4 mile recovery run in the evening. Actually felt very fresh surprisingly enough and it ended up a quite enjoyable run. The only problem was the garmin finally gave up the ghost, had to dust down the credit card :mad:.

Thurs: ~10 miles steady

Club run night and 10 miles in the schedule, we use a 2.5 mile lap in the curragh so by my maths 4 laps. One of them nights, started off talking with one of the lads, looked around after a mile and nobody else in sight and we realised we were fairly pushing the pace. I felt pretty good and with a few easy days coming up no harm in stretching the legs. The talking stopped on a couple of rises in the road, sure sign we were going pretty hard but other than that I felt pretty ok. The other lad finished up after 6 miles to leave me on my own for the last lap and a half which I done feeling pretty strong. I reckon the av pace was a bit faster than 6:30 pace, worked out by some very dodgy timekeeping and it felt a fair bit faster anyhow.

Fri: am - 4 miles recovery, pm - 6 miles recovey

The morning run I felt pretty ok, probably went a little to fast for a recovery run but wass a little pushed for time. The evening run I could feel the fatigue creeping in, not to bad but not feeling great either.

Sat: 6 miles recovery

Tired today so took it very handy, winding down for a race on monday so just keeping the legs ticking over.

Sun: 6 miles recovery incl strides x 6

Ah better today, enjoyable run and felt good, couple of easy days make some difference. A few strides at the end to wake the legs up, now the only challenge is to stay away from the pub, should be a law against staying dry on paddys day :p

Kildare masters & intermediate 6k

Made the short trip to Naas to put on the Newbridge AC singlet for the first time, feeling a little nervous about it too. Arrived early, an hour or so before the race and settled down after a couple of miles of a warm up with a few strides thrown in for luck. I didn't have any real plan on how to approach the race, just really take it as it came. Lined up at the front for the start and off we went. The first k and a half was an uphill drag, which had to be tackled again on a second lap, but I felt never felt under any pressure going up it, settling in the lead group of about 7 at this stage. The pace wasn't killer but decided just to sit in and watch how things developed. After a steep enough descend we were on relativly flat roads for a couple of k's and the pace was increasing all the time. We hit the half way point with about 5 in the group with a good gap to everybody else, the work really started from now on. There seemed to be three of us more in control than the other two who were hanging on at the back doing a bit of yo-yoing. A sharp left and back onto the original drag, about 2k to go overall and the there was three. At this stage I knew I had a medal in the bag, while the legs were on fire I knew I still had a little in the tank. Towards the top of the hill a my newbridge clubmate kicked on, I tried to follow but lost touch which left me in a battle for second. I eased back slightly to catch my breath from trying to follow the leaders kick and the other chap kicked for home, hung on for dear life for a couple of seconds, lucky enough he slowed up, I closed my eyes and pushed as hard as I could, only looked behind after the line to see a built a safe enough gap in the last 100m or so. Delighted with second place, Newbridge 1-2, and then to make the day even better was told the winner was a master and also not eligable for the intermediate so I took first in the intermediate category and the club won the team prize. Home with 2 gold medals, first time I got my hands on a winners medal since I was a young lad.

6 k in 20:28 for second place ( 1st intermediate;))

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Sweet!

Mon: pm - 5.02 miles recovery

Got out to loosen the legs out and to take the bad look off the milage for the day ;). Just cruised around and felt pretty good with no ill effects from the race.

Tues: 18.06 miles @ 6:42 m/m

Up at stupid o'clock to do this. A change of work hours for the week making things a little awkward. Arrived in work about 2 and a half hours before I was due in, security were delighted to see me with nobody due in the place for the guts of an hour and me setting off alarms all over the place. Hit the road about 6:15 and the hands were numb nearly straight away. Started off up threw citywest to jobstown and back by kingswood into corkage park where I stayed doing laps in the snow. The little drags in the park seemed to get tougher and tougher with every lap, feeling some tiredness in the legs from yesterdays race, although no breakfast probably didn't help. I got a second wind in the last couple of miles back to the job and was flying again. Back for a quick shower and then eating all around me. Glad I did it this morning, getting home at six and looking out at the weather I would have had some battle to get myself out the door for 18 miles.

Wed: 6.73 miles recovery.

Felt a little tired although another early start didn't help. Loosened out nicely as I went. Between a hard day in work and well, laziness didn't get out to double up.

Thurs: 12.1 miles @ 6:39 m/m incl 7 @ tempo

Of all days to do a tempo run this was not one of the best. Cold, windy and even a drop of freezing cold rain but with a heavy week this week there wasn't much wriggle room with the schedule to move it to another day, the weather getting no better anyway. Despite the wind I wasn't really dreading this, the little bit of confidence a half decent race gives makes a big difference. After 2 miles warm up, feeling pretty good and then went for it. The first mile into a headwind and making the usual mistake of pushing hard to make the pace although I felt strong. Thankfully turned a corner and a side wind was a relief. Feeling good in the second and third mile. The fourth mile flew in with the wind at my back for a while, a little breather before tough miles 5 and 6, nearly all into the wind. I struggled a bit at times but tried to relax and just keep the legs ticking over. When I hit mile six I knew the worst was over. Finished up strong in the last mile. The average pace of the tempo was a little down but the wind was to blame for that so very happy how it went and just as important mentally I didn't have that little voice telling me to ease up when the going got tough. 3 miles cool down jog to finish off, tired at the end.
    Splits: 5:51, 5:54, 5:47, 5:44, 5:55, 5:59, 5:47.

Fri: am - 15.61 miles @ 6:54 m/m

Yesterday was bad but my god what a morning. I normally go by the theory that the weather outside is never as bad as it looks from inside, well today the opposite was true. Started off feeling tired and into the wind which really didn't help. The pace picked up nicely as the miles ticked over. Then the rain really started, wind really picked up, running sidewards at times. The middle miles were really tough, the wind always seemed to be in my face, which went numb from the cold. Lucky enough the last few miles I had the wind at my back and floated home, warming up. Never enjoyed a hot shower as much as when I got home.

pm: 3.89 miles recovery.

Dinnertime run from work. Really had to force myself out after this mornings experience. At least the weather improved since this morning, almost mediterranaen. Felt tired, being a couple of tough days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Super run in Naas, your MP miles make my eyes water!
    Super running.

Super run in Naas, your MP miles make my eyes water!
    Super running.
    Thanks runningking, although wish they were MP miles, more like half marathon pace, they tough going but really feel like they bring me on

Really enjoy these Sat morning recovery runs, just trotting around super comfortable with no pressure. Feeling tired with aches and pains everywhere, left the house feeling like an 80 year old. As usual with these recovery runs felt better as I went, will call myself 50 years old when I got home.

Sun: 22.12 miles @ 6:58 m/m

First complaint brrrrrr.... First mistake, couldn't find my nice warm pennys gloves so left the house with a thin pair of lidl gloves, sure will be grand. The plan was to run at around 7 m/m pace and just a 'time on feet' run. The first few miles felt really comfortable even though they were into the wind then turned with a crosswind knocking me about for a while. Got to about 12 miles when I started to tire, little bit surprised at this stage but battle on. Turned for home soon enough and now dealing with a headwind for a while and was working hard at this stage, plus this was the last time I had any feeling in my hands which made things very uncomfortable. Up through the the curragh camp, feeling it at this stage but still took on the short sharp shock of a hill there which is a good mental tester, especially on tired legs after 18 miles. Over the top of that but it really knocked the stuffing out of me. Just a matter of bringing it on home at this stage. The last 2 miles were really tough, held my pace but it was a struggle, I was going to add a loop in to put and extra mile and a bit on but got to the turn off for home and said enough was enough. 20 minutes of pain thawing out my hands not the most pleasant of experiences after all that.
    So a tough day at the office although it being a hard week with a race, 2 long runs, a medium long run and a longish tempo done all adding up to 95 miles, most ever. Only had a small breakfast and no gels or water taken on either might explain things as well. Being eating all day and still hungry, an easter egg that wasn't mine even got it :o, may go shopping again.

• Advertisement

Mon: 6.2 miles easy @ 7:13 m/m

Met up for the club run, just 5 of us braved the cold and we agreed on taking it easy, with a recovery run planned thats what I wanted. The first 2 miles or so we behaved ourselves, trotting along and feeling fairly comfortable. Then without noticing it turned into a progression run, kinda, although still easy pace and felt comfortable so I dont think any harm was done.

Tue: am - 3.9 miles recovery

A real recovery run before work although still ended up 7:45 pace and felt very easy, good sign or maybe I'm not working hard enough on the hard days, I dunno

pm: 9.01 miles easy @ 6:54 m/m

Another nice handy run and felt fresh. A slight niggle in my left shin the only worry, something to keep an eye on

Wed: 11.53 miles incl 6 x 1000m & 3 x 200m.

Looking out the window it wasn't to bad, the sun was even out but knew what was awaiting so wrapped up warm and out into the chill once again. Took the long way down to the track, about 2 miles and then a few laps. Then time to strip of the jacket, hat, gloves and down to business. Another lap warm up and off I went. The first 200m to fast as usual soeased back slightly and actually found a nice rhythm quick enough. A slight headwind on the home straight didn't effect things to much so it was a pretty good day after all for this kind of work. The first interval completed comfortably enough, about 2 min recovery and back at it, this time pacing things nearly perfectly. The first 4 intervals weer all done as comfortable as things can get for 5k pace work but things got harder from then on, although I was working hard for the last two it still wasn't eyeballs out stuff and there was another 1 or two intervals there if asked for. Hat, jacket and gloves back on and 4 more easy laps before I went for a few 200s to get the legs really moving, moving through the gears for each one. Delighted how this session went, especially how even paced the 1k reps were plus I wasn't on my knees on the jog home. Good confidence booster.

Splits: 1000s - 3:22, 3:22, 3:22, 3:22, 3:22, 3:23:mad:.
    200s - 35, 34, 33.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Saw your 10k time in the 'best of' thread. Super time. Well done! Hope you'll post a report!

Thurs: 15.2 miles @ 6:42 m/m

A run of a few sections, first 5 miles out to meet up for the club run, trying to time it so I had little or no hanging around. Felt good and timing was spot on as they were moving as I met them. Then 5 miles with them, still feeling pretty good, pace slowed a little but not by much. Then split off to finish off with the last 5 home. Stuck in the last 3 @ 6:10 or so MP. The felt tougher than I would have expected at this stage but I suppose I was doing them on tired legs which will do me good.

Fri: 6.2 miles recovery

Tired recovery run, took it nice and handy. I was suppose to get out another 4 in the evening but the cold weather got the better of me and I stayed in with the feet up, ah well.

Same run as yesterday, just winding down prior to a race and feeling better today.

Sun: 5.2 miles recovery

Still not 100%, also had my lazy head on, was ment to throw in a few strides but ended up not bothering.

So a 306 mile month, second greater than 300 in a row, all good.

Kildare Senior 10K road champs.

This race not exactly falling in with the P&D plan but with a bit of chopping and changing slotted it in. Turned up at the Le Cheile club more than an hour before the race start so plenty of time to hang around and moan about the bitter cold and wind. Did a warm up while the womens race was on with a great result for Newbridge, first lady and first team, no pressure on the men then.
    So we were called to the line an I took a place in the front and off we went. A celbridge runner took the lead immediatly followed by a group of us about 5 strong, the leader holding about a 20m gap, not increasing. The first 2.5K was with the wind at our backs so the pace was a little high and I didn't really feel to comfortable, the lungs were ok just the legs were still asleep. After about the 2.5k mark we switched off the main road and over a bridge, the rise shedding 2, leaving a group of 3 chasing the leader. I still wasn't fully comfortable but the pace slowed a little with a crosswind then headwind which probably suited me more than the fast pace we were running with the tailwind. Passed the 5K mark in 17:00 dead, pb, but the work was really starting now into the wind. The cocas runner in the group made a move, to fast for myself and the other lad in the group an we let him on. So then there was 2 of us, both Newbridge, chasing the celbridge runner for second with the cocas runner disappearing into the distance. I started to up the pace about 7K and got a shout to push on off the teammate who was on a bad day. Started to close on the celbridge runner, slowly but surely until past the 8K mark when I was within 5M of him, I think he sensed me chasing and picked the pace up himself, so I held the gap without closing. I knew the final K was very tough, on an uphill drag with a strong headwind so while I was hurting I still held a little back for the finish. We hit a roundabout, around 800 to go and we could see the finish with the wind hitting us hard. He picked up just as I was starting to push on. Digging deep and with some encouagement from the side started to gain on him and with gritted teeth caught him with 200 to go, all that was in my head was charge past, dont give him a chance to come back at me, so emptyed the tank with everything I had as I passed, only looking behind with 10 to go, with enough of a gap to wobble over the line. I took a minute or two to pick myself off the ground and check my time, delighted to see 34:41, pb by nearly 1:20 for second place with the team getting third.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/291770387

Tue: 20.8 miles @ 6:54 m/m

Blue skies but still windy, will take that as an improvement. I knew it was going to be a tough day the second I got out of bed, the calfs very sore from yesterday. Anyway the aim of this was to get a long run in on tired legs, part one achieved, even after the first mile I was feeling it. The first few miles into the wind didnt help but at least I started to loosen out after about 5 miles. Turned then and with the wind at my back the pace was picking up and while I was never comfortable I was feeling a li9ttle better, the only problem, I knew the last 7 or so miles were into the wind so I was preparing for a bit of a struggle. Took a right turn a here we go. Just put the head down wishing the miles away, not paying much attention to pace but looking now most of the miles ended up around the 6:50 mark, so cant complain with that. Finished up knowing I had a hard couple of days. Still feeling a bit battered at this stage but its downhill from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Well done ronnie, you're going great guns at the minute, that's a cracking result.

pconn062 wrote: »
    Well done ronnie, you're going great guns at the minute, that's a cracking result.
    Thanks, very happy at the moment, although at this very minute standing up is a battle ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Super training and racing going on here. You're shaping up well for London.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

I'm in bits myself after a tough long run at the weekend but I don't have a quality time like that in my back pocket to ease the pain. Some going in those conditions. You're in great shape for London. You must be eager to get going now?

Advertisement